• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

2020 Pres. Election US, Trump v Biden.

D

Deleted member 146

[MOD] Just a reminder that this is a discussion website, if you are posting tweets please try to add your own thoughts and comments on the content of the tweet, otherwise we just end up with loads of tweets and likes and that's just Twitter. [/MOD]

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I think it’s pretty inevitable that Biden seals the deal for the Democratic Nomination soon enough.

Both candidates are at even money with the bookies.

There are a number of questions

a. Are either both of these guys healthy, as in not suffering from dementia?
( Trump is “mad” in the way all psychopaths are and has always been like this, I’m talking about cognitive impairment in this case).

b. Who will the Dems VP nominee be?

c. What effect will the current crisis have in the swing states?

d. Who will win?

Last edited:

Vega1447

Feb 17, 2019
I think it’s pretty inevitable that Biden seals the deal for the Democratic Nomination soon enough.

( Trump is “mad” in the way all psychopaths are and has always been like this, I’m talking about cognitive impairment in this case).

d. Who will win?
And if things have gone pear-shaped by November, voting in person may not be possible. Postal ballots? Very open to abuse...

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
And if things have gone pear-shaped by November, voting in person may not be possible. Postal ballots? Very open to abuse...
There are other schools of thought

In the 2016 US Presidential election, approximately 33 million ballots were cast via mailed out ballots (about 25% of all ballots cast). That was from a combination of the 100% vote by mail jurisdictions plus absentees elsewhere. In 2016, the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) issued a report outlining the turnout improvements seen in vote by mail elections.[28] In 2018, a report from the US Senate Intelligence Committee of Russian meddling in the 2016 election pointed out that paper ballots, by definition part of all vote by mail elections, were inherently safer than electronic voting systems

————————

GAO reviewed research to identify 11 election administration policies that had each been studied multiple times in connection with voter turnout and found varying effects. For example:
• The majority of studies on same day registration and all vote-by-mail found that these policies increased turnout.
• Vote centers (polling places where registrants can vote regardless of assigned precinct) and the sending of text messages to provide information about registration and elections have not been studied as much as some of the other policies, but almost all of the studies reviewed on these policies reported increases in turnout.
• Some studies of mailings to provide information and no-excuse absentee voting also found that these policies increased turnout, while other studies reported mixed evidence or no evidence of an effect.
• Most studies of e-mail and robocalls to provide information reported no evidence of an effect on turnout.
• Most studies of early in-person voting reported no evidence of an effect on turnout or found decreases in turnout, while the remaining studies reported mixed evidence.

Firefly123

Nov 27, 2018

d. Who will win?
a. Both are healthy (relatively speaking). The sleepy Biden thing didn't work at the recent one on one debate where biden was on the ball and well able to handle himself. It's just a smear put out by trump and his gang. It may come back and bite them when 'sleepy joe' appears presidential and calm while trump waffles and rants.
Trump not being able to pontificate in front of a crowd is tough.
b. A female. Possibly a minority.
Klobacher/warren/harris/obama!/ hell even Gabbard. who ever she is Pence will be a liability vs her.
c. it will kill a lot of poor people and it will be blamed on the chinese. The trump base will believe that but they cant vote twice while independents will hopefully not buy it.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
a. Both are healthy (relatively speaking). The sleepy Biden thing didn't work at the recent one on one debate where biden was on the ball and well able to handle himself. It's just a smear put out by trump and his gang. It may come back and bite them when 'sleepy joe' appears presidential and calm while trump waffles and rants.
Trump not being able to pontificate in front of a crowd is tough.
b. A female. Possibly a minority.
Klobacher/warren/harris/obama!/ hell even Gabbard. who ever she is Pence will be a liability vs her.
c. it will kill a lot of poor people and it will be blamed on the chinese. The trump base will believe that but they cant vote twice while independents will hopefully not buy it.
There's a distinct possibility that this crisis may cause the election to be postponed, given the absolute mess the american health system is in. It's going to spread like wildfire and the ramifications of that are massive.

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
There's a distinct possibility that this crisis may cause the election to be postponed, given the absolute mess the american health system is in. It's going to spread like wildfire and the ramifications of that are massive.
Johnston is in the middle of a power grab...so similar or worse by Trump would be no surprise...

Firefly123

Nov 27, 2018
Not sure of the constitutional consequences of that but I read that the speak of the house takes charge.
President Pelosi?

Or Democratic Senator Pat Leahy if this thread is correct...

Last edited:

Dasayev

Feb 20, 2019
At this time it's still Trumps to lose, even if the Corona Virus plays a significant part in the debate.

Young voters didn't come out for Bernie. So I think it's unlikely they will for Biden. A lower turnout will favour Trump.

Trump can blame the Covid on globalisation and China. "See wasn't I right, we need to defend our borders" etc.

The reaction to the disease can be turned into a war time situation, and you don't change President during a "war".

The voting system is such a mess, and corruptable too. Many voters could be disenfranchised under the guise of tackling the disease.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I suppose we'll just have to find a way of regulating the internet o we time. That tend of thousands of qanon types can accuse various folk of paedophilia and that this can go unchecked is a concern.
There is no burden of proof.

MOTS

Dec 24, 2019
I don't especially care if he does or doesn't but I think Biden will win.

I would normally be of the opinion that it does not matter which President is in power in the US - but this time I am of the opinion that, absolutely, the racist Orange skumbag who is now in the White House has to be beaten and removed from office.
There is not one single positive attached to his Presidency - not one.

He is truly a very negative force and is a dark, menacing cloud enveloping the world.

Last edited:

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
I know its idle speculation at the best of times and even more so in the current climate but the Democrats are hair's breadth favourites to win the Presidency:
https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.128988348
Jeez, I wouldn't count on that. By the time the Democratic National Committee have finished with him, Biden's campaign will be concentrated on winning Missisippi, Wyoming and South Carolina on a platform of:

"Notwithstanding our efforts to overcome the coronavirus, we advocate the retention of social distancing/community testing/lockdown/celebrity endorsement until independently verifiable reports demonstrate conclusive progress in tackling racism, inequality, prejudice, climate change denial, carnivore chauvianism, carbocentricism, LGBTQ++ animal exploitation and cisgender virtual bullying in Hollywood and other role-model sectors of American society."

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Tbh - I have lost all interest in the US Presidential contest. I no longer care if they choose to re-elect Trump.

Turkeys/Christmas.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
The only problem with that is almost everything that happens in America affects us all.
I know - but the whole thing seems hopeless - the more moronic and monomaniacal he behaves the higher his rating go - and the country seems incapable of finding a credible alternative.

A bit like the UK in recent times.

But worse.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I know - but the whole thing seems hopeless - the more moronic and monomaniacal he behaves the higher his rating go - and the country seems incapable of finding a credible alternative.

A bit like the UK in recent times.

But worse.
Not worse, just with more far reaching consequences.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
The only problem with that is almost everything that happens in America affects us all.
Maybe, just maybe, Trump will put an end to that.

Firefly123

Nov 27, 2018
Sanders doing the honourable thing.
Watch the online campaign ramp up now as trump bots concern troll the bejaysus out of Biden.

"oh I know trump is terrible but I hear biden has dementia/a history of touching children inappropriately/raped a woman/rode a goat/ stole money/is racist. Wouldnt it be better to just stay home and not vote as a protest"?

Its already begun.

Vega1447

Feb 17, 2019
Bernie Sanders Endorses Joe Biden for President https://nyti.ms/3ekptzJ

So that's that.

Biden may not be Abraham Lincoln but by Jebus he's better than Trump.

Fair dues to Bernie for pulling out now.

Next an endorsement from Obama (in a few months).

An endorsement from HRC? No help at all but she will probably insist...

Top Bottom