• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

COVID CERTs, Airborne, Ventilation, Quarantine. NPHET/GOV Pressers. Business, SCHOOLS, Hospitality ( 2.12.21 Potential New Measures inc for Hseholds )

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
What CAN you do with people like this?

A well-known anti-vaccination campaigner has told a court that he is the king and the Judge is a public servant.

Antonio Mureddu appeared at Letterkenny District Court in Co. Donegal today facing road traffic charges.

The 44-year-old is charged with having no insurance, using a fraudulent license plate and failing to give information to Gardai at Meencarragh, Ballybofey on October 23 this year. The Italian national, with an address at Main Street, Headford, Co. Galway, was stopped by Garda Michael Kilcoyne.

When stopped by Garda Kilcoyne, Mureddu's red Alfa Romeo car had the letters 'The I Job' instead of the proper license plate 09G19485.
Lock them up for their own safety and the safety of others.

Nov 29, 2018

A well-known anti-vaccination campaigner has told a court that he is the king and the Judge is a public servant.

Antonio Mureddu appeared at Letterkenny District Court in Co. Donegal today facing road traffic charges.

The 44-year-old is charged with having no insurance, using a fraudulent license plate and failing to give information to Gardai at Meencarragh, Ballybofey on October 23 this year. The Italian national, with an address at Main Street, Headford, Co. Galway, was stopped by Garda Michael Kilcoyne.

When stopped by Garda Kilcoyne, Mureddu's red Alfa Romeo car had the letters 'The I Job' instead of the proper license plate 09G19485.
Remand him to the covid wing of Mountjoy while awaiting deportation to Italy. Contrary to popular belief Freedom of Movement is not unconditional and undesirables can be returned to their home countries.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019

He should be thrown out of the country.

Nov 29, 2018
Can an EU National be deported?

If the judge had any wit he would have been sent to the cells for contempt of court
Yes, freedom of movement is not unconditional, despite what a lot of Brits living below the radar in France/Spain, etc thought.

Each member State can remove undesirables back to where they came from, and many do on a regular basis.

Nov 29, 2018
A fella i know well, fit active soccer player, an ambulance driver, got covid in the last 2 weeks, treble jabbed - fully vacconated + the booster jab, is very bad with it, not far from going into hospital, would be early 40's only
Ambulance staff are highly exposed, they take covid cases to hospital, often unaware that the person has covid and therefore unlikely to be wearing full PPE.

Feb 26, 2019
What has that got to do with the matter, where a person who is fully vaccinated and allso got the booster vaccine is bad with covid
Everything. Particularly it raises the point that anecdotal one-off cases are not evidence that vaccines don't work. Now, I don't know if that was your intent or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it wasn't, in which case I'll just say that posting that kind of thing is catnip to anti-vaxxers.

Nov 27, 2018
Can an EU National be deported?

If the judge had any wit he would have been sent to the cells for contempt of court
Yes, in the case of criminality. But I don’t think having an improper number plate would be sufficient grounds.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Some interesting and detailed statistics from the CSO at the link below, including this "Around 28% of those who contracted COVID-19 in September and October and admitted to an ICU were not born in Ireland, and 90% of those reported being un-vaccinated"

There was a discussion about this on Drivetime today and it was suggested that the vast majority of those mentioned above were from Eastern Europe.

There are breakdowns under various headings including sector of employment.

Nov 29, 2018
Yes, in the case of criminality. But I don’t think having an improper number plate would be sufficient grounds.
Not just criminality. The conditions of Freedom of Movement include being, within three months of arrival, in employment, training or education, if retired being able to support yourself without becoming a burden on the State, in all cases adequate private health insurance until affiliated with the member state health system. You can add to the above "good character", fully adherent to the law and not a danger to society.
The driving offences and the tirade against the judge would have him in his way in many other member States.

He has clearly stated that he doesn't recognize the laws of Ireland, what are they waiting for?

Nov 29, 2018
Some interesting and detailed statistics from the CSO at the link below, including this "Around 28% of those who contracted COVID-19 in September and October and admitted to an ICU were not born in Ireland, and 90% of those reported being un-vaccinated"

There was a discussion about this on Drivetime today and it was suggested that the vast majority of those mentioned above were from Eastern Europe.

There are breakdowns under various headings including sector of employment.

The terrifying thing about this is that a large number of unvaccinated, non nationals work in care homes and for companies providing home help services to the HSE.

People, whose families kept them safe, cannot even establish the vaccination status of these carers.

Same situation in the hospital with unvaccinated staff, no wonder there are hospital outbreaks, as our poster @Round tower found to great cost to himself and his family.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Everything. Particularly it raises the point that anecdotal one-off cases are not evidence that vaccines don't work. Now, I don't know if that was your intent or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it wasn't, in which case I'll just say that posting that kind of thing is catnip to anti-vaxxers.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that vaccines don't work, but it's also clear that you can still become very sick despite having 2 or indeed 3 vaccine doses. I certainly know of a number who became extremely ill despite being double-vaxed.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
The terrifying thing about this is that a large number of unvaccinated, non nationals work in care homes and for companies providing home help services to the HSE.

People, whose families kept them safe, cannot even establish the vaccination status of these carers.

Same situation in the hospital with unvaccinated staff, no wonder there are hospital outbreaks, as our poster @Round tower found to great cost to himself and his family.
It is an unfortunate fact that Eastern Europe in general is awash with anti-vax misinformation and downright superstition, some of it a folk memory of past Communist forced vaccination programmes which apparently had disastrous side-effects, and also that this has influenced many Irish residents of Eastern European origin. There was a statistic some time ago that only 44% of Irish adults of EE origin has been fully vaxed.

When I was in getting my booster in a pharmacy at the weekend, there was a young East European couple there who I assumed were healthcare workers and had been vaxed before me, until I heard them being given their second appointment for a few weeks' time! They inspired some hilarity among staff and customers as the lady was apparently afraid of needles and her partner chivalrously offered to accompany her into room where they give the jabs.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
I've just done an antigen test. Feckin' horrible.
Negative I hope? I wouldn't trust myself to do it properly. How does it compare with the standard HSE PCR test?

As an aside I have heard today of more people I know with Covid than in the past 20 months put together. Rampant.

Nov 29, 2018
It is an unfortunate fact that Eastern Europe in general is awash with anti-vax misinformation and downright superstition, some of it a folk memory of past Communist forced vaccination programmes which apparently had disastrous side-effects, and also that this has influenced many Irish residents of Eastern European origin. There was a statistic some time ago that only 44% of Irish adults of EE origin has been fully vaxed.

When I was in getting my booster in a pharmacy at the weekend, there was a young East European couple there who I assumed were healthcare workers and had been vaxed before me, until I heard them being given their second appointment for a few weeks' time! They inspired some hilarity among staff and customers as the lady was apparently afraid of needles and her partner chivalrously offered to accompany her into room where they give the jabs.
Other EU countries made vaccination mandatory for all health medical social care workers, no vax, no jab, the eastern European hesitancy disappeared in the face of no job and no access to social welfare.

Long past time that was introduced here.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Where is the HSE money going?

Some say that there were decades of underinvestment. If so, the increase in expenditure, allied with an increasing population may not be as significant as it seems and merely an unsuccessful attempt to catch up on that underinvestment. There does seem to have been an explosion in management positions, at the expense of frontline ones but I suspect that's only a small part of the problem.

The whole thing is enormously complicated and hard to analyse but one thing is certain - our health service is extraordinarily poor by comparison with other European countries that we like to view as peers.

This isn't a bad article but there have been vast screeds wrtten on the topic over many years

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Negative I hope? I wouldn't trust myself to do it properly. How does it compare with the standard HSE PCR test?

As an aside I have heard today of more people I know with Covid than in the past 20 months put together. Rampant.
Yes, negative. I was on a site walkover last week (six days ago) and I was notified today that one of those I was with tested positive at the weekend. Not notified as a close contact, but company procedure dictates that I take one.
Have never done a PCR, so can't say. Mrs H says the procedure is exactly the same, but the difference is that a PCR sample is lab tested and looks at the genetic material.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Yes, negative. I was on a site walkover last week (six days ago) and I was notified today that one of those I was with tested positive at the weekend. Not notified as a close contact, but company procedure dictates that I take one.
Have never done a PCR, so can't say. Mrs H says the procedure is exactly the same, but the difference is that a PCR sample is lab tested and looks at the genetic material.
You are very lucky not to have had to do a test at any stage before. My OH got his first one done last week. The tester gave him a bemused look and asked him (exact words) 'where have been hiding for the last 18 months?' She literally could not believe there was anyone left in our area who hadn't had a Covid test.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Yep. I’ve had to do four of them since this started. To be honest, I think I prefer my annual prostrate exam. Less invasive.
I certainly prefer the PCR test to the latter. I had both last week actually, either side of a family funeral. It was quite a tedious week, come to think of it.

Nov 29, 2018
You are very lucky not to have had to do a test at any stage before. My OH got his first one done last week. The tester gave him a bemused look and asked him (exact words) 'where have been hiding for the last 18 months?' She literally could not believe there was anyone left in our area who hadn't had a Covid test.
I have, thankfully, never needed to have one.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Have never had a PCR or done a self-administered antigen test but that is my understanding - that the sticking in the nose procedure is supposed to be exactly the same and is uncomfortable. I think the swab is supposed to go closer to horizontally than vertically into the nostril until resistance is felt. That is likely what you did but I don't think what most do from conversations I've had. It's pretty clear why many doctors have qualms about antigen testing.

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019
No i am not a anti vaxxers, just highlighting the case which would have being a worry but he may not have being ad bad as his brother was claiming. I messaged him this evening, he said "he was not to bad, that today was his 9th day and he hopes he is over the worst of it"

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019
Yep. I’ve had to do four of them since this started. To be honest, I think I prefer my annual prostrate exam. Less invasive.
I had 3 antigen tests, 2 back in July at the time both mam and my sister in the house both tested positive, i did another one i suppose in Oct. when i had a symptom, all negative, did not have a PCR test yet

Top Bottom