• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

COVID vaccines, Booster Shots, Antivirals, ANTIGEN TESTS ( 25.11.21 - 65% in ICU unvaxed from 7% of adult pop )

Will you get vaccinated whenever a vaccine is available?

• Yes

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • How much are you paying?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe later, when it proves effective.

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I am really really getting fed up of this focus on antigen tests to the point of hysteria in some cases. Hugely being bigged up by the media of course.

I get the impression once they available it will fade and tbh will not turn out to be as good a tool as some make them out to be. Use of as an alt to a PCR

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I am really really getting fed up of this focus on antigen tests to the point of hysteria in some cases. Hugely being bigged up by the media of course.

I get the impression once they available it will fade and tbh will not turn out to be as good a tool as some make them out to be. Use of as an alt to a PCR
We are running out of silver bullets....

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
And thats a problem isnt it .. we keep thinking there is one ( bigged up by media ) .. a single silver bullet, that invariably disappoints.
Of course there are no silver bullets. But every little helps. We shouldn't dismiss something because it is not a silver bullet. Nothing's perfect. Most things are far from perfect.

Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light
gets in.

I think it was Pat Kenny who became obsessed with Antigen tests, and kept on ranting about them, like they were the solution. I never listen to Newstalk

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Of course there are no silver bullets. But every little helps. We shouldn't dismiss something because it is not a silver bullet. Nothing's perfect. Most things are far from perfect.

That's how the light
gets in.

I think it was Pat Kenny who became obsessed with Antigen tests, and kept on ranting about them, like they were the solution. I never listen to Newstalk
Someone was giving out about Pat Kenny tonight at toastmasters.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel

That's how the light
gets in.

You've a great auld singing voice, Gatsby

Feb 26, 2019
Oh, God, I would have a meltdown. I hate queues at the best of times

People who queued for 3 hours yesterday in the cold, were sent home from a test centre (Fairyhouse) because when they got to the top of the queue, they were told they had been sent the HSE text message by mistake, and they would not be getting the vaccine that day.

Very same happened earlier this year.

It seems the HSE only checked year of birth when offering the vaccine, so if you turn 60 (or 50, or 40, etc) this year, but are not that age yet, you might be included in the wrong age group.

This actually happened to me as well, and the HSE then proceeded to not bother rescheduling my appointment (it seems they had different computer systems handling different parts of the process), which meant that I had to spend significant time and effort banging on doors via their help channels, while watching people years younger getting fully vaccinated before I'd even had my first.

The most important thing for anyone caught by this is to make as much noise as possible to ensure that they do have their appointments rescheduled properly. Don't just assume the HSE will do it.

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
On rte there head of hse testing said in last few weeks ( cud have been 2 ) they have done ONE MILLION pcr tests. Thats a fifth of population

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Last night I saw some crazy numbers re deaths in Europe this winter from Covid. I assume this headline and death numbers due to low vax uptake in various countries in Europe?

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel
Last night I saw some crazy numbers re deaths in Europe this winter from Covid. I assume this headline and death numbers due to low vax uptake in various countries in Europe?

Well I can report from Germany, that 90 of the 300 deaths yesterday were in the former DDR state of Saxony, that has a population of only 4 million. Saxony has the lowest vaccination rate in Germany and the highest incidence, with some districts over the 1000 mark. Saxony also has the highest proportion of white trash nazi voters, and lowest proportion of migrants. Bavaria has similar bad situation (minus the nazis) and the rest of Germany has a death rate similar to Dublin I would say.

Nov 27, 2018
Well I can report from Germany, that 90 of the 300 deaths yesterday were in the former DDR state of Saxony, that has a population of only 4 million. Saxony has the lowest vaccination rate in Germany and the highest incidence, with some districts over the 1000 mark. Saxony also has the highest proportion of white trash nazi voters, and lowest proportion of migrants. Bavaria has similar bad situation (minus the nazis) and the rest of Germany has a death rate similar to Dublin I would say.
That's somewhat debatable. Bavaria is somewhat closer to Austria than Northern Germany in many perspectives. The "querdenken" crowd have made inroads there. They just are better-dressed than the equivalent crowd in Saxony.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel
That's somewhat debatable. Bavaria is somewhat closer to Austria than Northern Germany in many perspectives. The "querdenken" crowd have made inroads there. They just are better-dressed than the equivalent crowd in Saxony.
Yep I was actually thinking of commenting about the Bavarians, though they don't have the AfD background of the former east. Nazis with a small n perhaps.

Nov 27, 2018
Yep I was actually thinking of commenting about the Bavarians, though they don't have the AfD background of the former east. Nazis with a small n perhaps.
I may be being unfair, but I think the main reason the AfD aren't stronger in Bavaria is because they're "a bit too common", and not because their policies are seen as repugnant. There's a fair bit of exceptionalism and entitlement connected to Bavaria, so I'm not surprised their numbers are high.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Very same happened earlier this year.

It seems the HSE only checked year of birth when offering the vaccine, so if you turn 60 (or 50, or 40, etc) this year, but are not that age yet, you might be included in the wrong age group.

This actually happened to me as well, and the HSE then proceeded to not bother rescheduling my appointment (it seems they had different computer systems handling different parts of the process), which meant that I had to spend significant time and effort banging on doors via their help channels, while watching people years younger getting fully vaccinated before I'd even had my first.

The most important thing for anyone caught by this is to make as much noise as possible to ensure that they do have their appointments rescheduled properly. Don't just assume the HSE will do it.

Feb 26, 2019

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
I would say because the bulk of them will only be at the 5 months gap period then

No, virtually everyone in their 50's was vaccinated in May/June. They were flying through the vaccines at the time and people 5-6 years younger than me were being vaxed a week after me. They would be due their boosters now. The over-60's who got AZ got their second doses in July, so theoretically are not due till December but in my view should be given an MRNA booster immediately.

Reid was talking through his hoop today - over 50's are already getting their boosters from GP's and pharmacies, frequently on a walk-in basis, as I did. All they need to do in make sure GP's and pharmacies have adequate supplies and tell people to contact them directly. With any luck there'll be no one left for the HSE to 'boost' in January or whenever they get around to it.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Study finds that Pfizer vaccine efficacy wanes after three months. Well, we sort of knew that already, although "take our three month vaccine" would have been a hard sell for Pfizer initially.

What is interesting is the repeat in the article of the claim that AZ gives better protection to older people because of T-cells. T-cells have always been thought to be of more importance than antibodies in the body's fight against Covid.

Nov 29, 2018
Study finds that Pfizer vaccine efficacy wanes after three months. Well, we sort of knew that already, although "take our three month vaccine" would have been a hard sell for Pfizer initially.

What is interesting is the repeat in the article of the claim that AZ gives better protection to older people because of T-cells. T-cells have always been thought to be of more importance than antibodies in the body's fight against Covid.

Had my booster this morning, Pfizer this time, first dose was AZ, second, Moderna, hat trick.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Over to EMA & NIAC ..

I heard a rumour last night that primary schools won't reopen after Christmas pending the vaccination of that age cohort.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel
Had my booster this morning, Pfizer this time, first dose was AZ, second, Moderna, hat trick.
I had Moderna 1 and 2, the second Moderna left me ice cold for a day shivering under layers of blankets. Did you have anything similar Expose? I'll be having #3 Moderna if I can, seems to work well for me.

Nov 29, 2018
I had Moderna 1 and 2, the second Moderna left me ice cold for a day shivering under layers of blankets. Did you have anything similar Expose? I'll be having #3 Moderna if I can, seems to work well for me.
No, nothing with AZ, slightly sore arm with Moderna, have had worse from a flu jab, and nothing from the Pfizer today.

Now have to find out how to get a QR code for the booster as they are mandatory in France. The covid pass will be invalidated six months and five weeks from the second dose.

Might just have to have a 4th dose when I get back.

Could become the first vaccine addict on record.🙄

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel
No, nothing with AZ, slightly sore arm with Moderna, have had worse from a flu jab, and nothing from the Pfizer today.

Now have to find out how to get a QR code for the booster as they are mandatory in France. The covid pass will be invalidated six months and five weeks from the second dose.

Might just have to have a 4th dose when I get back.

Could become the first vaccine addict on record.🙄
at least here in Germany, pharmacies / chemists are able to convert them into a QR code free of cost.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I heard a rumour last night that primary schools won't reopen after Christmas pending the vaccination of that age cohort.
There'll be absolute war if that happens. Parents were up in arms in 2020 when primary schools closed. If they were working, they had nobody to mind the kids, and the home-schooling drove them crazy

Of course if cases are out of control by then, anything is possible

But schools are an absolute red line for this government, and for the large cohort of voters who are parents of young kids

Going back to home-schooling and having kids at home during the working day, would be an absolute admission of defeat.

It would mean going back to where we were in the early days of the pandemic---despite vaccines, despite masks, despite lockdowns

Getting kids vaccinated won't be plain sailing either, unfortunately.

Many parents who have absolutely no trouble with getting vaccinated themselves, are nervous about getting the jab for their kids.

The compromise will probably be masks for all Primary School children. That'll keep Joe Duffy busy, and distract attention from the bigger picture for a while.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
FYI for 60 - 69:

Yes but as far as I know you still have to be 5 months vaccinated, and most of that age group didn't get their second AZ until July.

Unless the 5-month rule has been dropped, that announcement is largely meaningless (a friend who's in her 60's has been refused a booster twice in the last week, incidentally).

Top Bottom