• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Dart Underground Shelved until 2048

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel
Revised Dublin transport plan sees costs double to €25bn and rail projects delayed

What make ye of this news? Personally, I think this is a further disaster for both the city and wider region. DU particularly is needed so badly to avoid stunting economic growth for the whole region and dare I say island. Kicking it down the road to 2048 is not even really worthwhile is it? God knows how the M50 will be. Sure we'll be all either in our zimmer frames or wicker coffins by then..

Last edited:

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Revised Dublin transport plan sees costs double to €25bn and rail projects delayed

What make ye of this news? Personally, I think this is a further disaster for both the city and wider region. DU particularly is needed so badly to avoid stunting economic growth for the whole region and dare I say island. Kicking it down the road to 2048 is not even really worthwhile is it? God knows how the M50 will be. Sure we'll be all either in our zimmer frames or wicker coffins by then..
Nimbyism that directly affects ministers leading to the postponement of a major capital project? Well, never in the life of me...

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018

I will be 95 by then - I intend to hang on out of pure spite to see it’s further postponement.

The shinners might even be in government by then?

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Michael Healy-Rae reckoned there was no DART to take him home after a few pints; their probably will be by 2048.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Essentially nothing for the next ten years. Better hope WFH catches on.

All this talk about cycling boils my blood.
Cycling is fine. It has its place as one of the many ways to ease congestion and improve carbon emissions. Focussing solely on cycling though to the detriment of rail and bus is lunacy.

In totally unrelated news, Eamon Ryan set up and runs a cycling tourism business.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Cycling is fine. It has its place as one of the many ways to ease congestion and improve carbon emissions. Focussing solely on cycling though to the detriment of rail and bus is lunacy.

In totally unrelated news, Eamon Ryan set up and runs a cycling tourism business.

And I suppose there are the buses.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
I will be 95 by then - I intend to hang on out of pure spite to see it’s further postponement.

The shinners might even be in government by then?
I'll be still in my 80's but they'll probably have got rid of free travel by then.

As for the Shinners, in and out several times by then I'd say. But I'm sure they'll get cracking on building it as soon as they get in.......

Olli Rehn

Nov 27, 2018
En Garde

Is that not a wise decision? We are all told about the rise of the sea water. I saw maps of Dublin showing parts of it under water by 2030 or so. Where is the sense in building an underground rail system when it gets flooded within 10 years or so?

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
A slight tangent - but I find the roads in Dublin city to be very congested at present - worse than before Covid - imo.

The Liffey Quays have been made virtually impassible by additional bus and cycle infrastructure - and crossing the Liffey equally so.

I think that this is deliberate policy by DCC (their offices overlook the Quays so they are aware of the daily chaos).

As a result, traffic has been diverted along the (already congested) canals and all the rat-runs leading to them.

It doesn't affect me much as I generally cycle in the city, but it's hell for those who need to commute by car.

Top Bottom