• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Emerging Virus'es ( Human, Animal, Bird ) + VARIANTS thread .. ( 02.12.21 - OMICRON new SA data: 2.4x higher risk of reinfection )

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Spotted this passing through my timeline on twitter. Had not heard of it ..

At least seven new cases of the Wuhan novel coronavirus were reported on Saturday including three unconfirmed cases in the cities of Shanghai and Shenzhen even as a new analysis by the Imperial College, London, said many more people could have been infected by it than the number currently reported.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds' - BBC
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been more than 60 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, but UK experts estimate a figure nearer 1,700.

Two people are known to have died from the respiratory illness, which appeared in Wuhan city in December.
What is this virus?
Viral samples have been taken from patients and analysed in the laboratory.

And officials in China and the World Health Organization have concluded the infection is a coronavirus.

Coronaviruses are a broad family of viruses, but only six (the new one would make it seven) are known to infect people.
At the mild end they cause the common cold, but severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) is a coronavirus that killed 774 of the 8,098 people infected in an outbreak that started in China in 2002.

Analysis of the genetic code of the new virus shows it is more closely related to Sars than any other human coronavirus.
In general thought I would set up a thread about stuff like this going forward. Add more if you spot them .. scary read at bedtime stuff.

Last edited:

Vega1447

Feb 17, 2019

In general thought I would set up a thread about stuff like this going forward
If it is as serious as suggested then "going forward" should surely be replaced by "falling backwards"?

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018

In general thought I would set up a thread about stuff like this going forward. Add more if you spot them .. scary read at bedtime stuff.
Saw that this morning...people do tend to panic a bit about new diseases...we seem to handle most of them including aids and the Ebola virus...but still scary that something would come along that would do the same as the Spanish Flu or one of the many plagues that decimated Europe and many parts of the world.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
In fact 3rd city on lockdown -EZHOU CITY - Thats 19m people across 3 cities.

Wuhan has population of 11m.

jmcc

Nov 27, 2018
If it gets to Africa (China has major interests there), things could get really bad as it seems more persistent than Ebola.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

Apparently source is now SNAKES ( Chinese Krait and Chinese Cobra ). The chinese have a penchant for exotic food stuffs, as in eating same - bats, snakes etc

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018

Seems to know what he is talking about and makes some very good points about the reporting of this illness. He is not worried about it.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
TBH .. though I started this thread .. Im not too worried either. You have to work around the media hysteria and blank out the word DEADLY in almost every sentence and headline. Trying to up the anxiety to sell papers etc.

Only reason I started this thread as with others is so we have one place to just track events like this over time.

S

Sky

TBH .. though I started this thread .. Im not too worried either. You have to work around the media hysteria and blank out the word DEADLY in almost every sentence and headline. Trying to up the anxiety to sell papers etc.

Only reason I started this thread as with others is so we have one place to just track events like this over time.
Yes, I think they are trying to make it sound like Stephen Soderbergh's Contagion whereas in reality it will probably be more like the hype about the Bird Flu.

When the latter happened I was working in a (non-medical) semi-state that had an entire building scheduled in a a city-wide emergency plan to be the mortuary for South Dublin.

Talk about hysteria.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Yes, I think they are trying to make it sound like Stephen Soderbergh's Contagion whereas in reality it will probably be more like the hype about the Bird Flu.

When the latter happened I was working in a (non-medical) semi-state that had an entire building scheduled in a a city-wide emergency plan to be the mortuary for South Dublin.

Talk about hysteria.

Careful we dont catch M E D I A F E V E R ( fact free in many cases, weighted toward Hysteria to sell )

Reactions: Sky

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
I got the Aussie flu (H1N1 virus) some years back, seemed like an ordinary Flu until it very quickly got really bad, ended up on my hands and knees in a pool of my own puke dry retching, drenched in sweat, thinking 'This is it...' Was sure my heart would give in.

I really thought It was over tbh...but the dry retching stopped, I cleaned up the floor (😂 Yes I know) and went to the Doc the next day...he diagnosed what it was and said there was no need for medication as my temperature was back to normal and I had beaten it. Also said I had no need to worry about getting it again or it's variants as I would be immune to it now.

Luckily I was healthy, fairly fit and I watch my weight and what I eat but could easily see how it would kill anyone with health problems. That was about ten years ago, have not had a flu since...few minor touches of what has wiped other people around me...

Would not like to go through that again...

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I got the Aussie flu (H1N1 virus) some years back, seemed like an ordinary Flu until it very quickly got really bad, ended up on my hands and knees in a pool of my own puke dry retching, drenched in sweat, thinking 'This is it...' Was sure my heart would give in.

I really thought It was over tbh...but the dry retching stopped, I cleaned up the floor (😂 Yes I know) and went to the Doc the next day...he diagnosed what it was and said there was no need for medication as my temperature was back to normal and I had beaten it. Also said I had no need to worry about getting it again or it's variants as I would be immune to it now.

Luckily I was healthy, fairly fit and I watch my weight and what I eat but could easily see how it would kill anyone with health problems. That was about ten years ago, have not had a flu since...few minor touches of what has wiped other people around me...

Would not like to go through that again...
People would probably be more alarmed if we didn't have some of these apocalyptic, pandemic scares in the past, and survived them.

SARS was very frightening when it first broke, with isolation units in hospitals, etc...

Top Bottom