• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Emerging Virus'es ( Human, Animal, Bird ) + VARIANTS thread .. ( 02.12.21 - OMICRON new SA data: 2.4x higher risk of reinfection )

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Two things actually tie together here - Climate Change and Pandemics. It seems we might unfortunately be seeing more pandemics in our lifetime. It is a big topic of discussion, even made it on a major chunk of Brendan O Connor show on RTE Radio 1 this morn ...

eg - https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2021/04/21/how-climate-change-may-affect-future-pandemics/

The similarities between climate change and pandemics do not end there. Just as climate change is worsened by deforestation, so too are emerging infectious disease and “zoonotic diseases” of animal origin worsened by environmental degradation and encroachment on wildlife terrains, increasing the displacement and spread of novel pathogens to humans. Thus, climate change and COVID are related cousins; they are both born from similar underlying causes.
Undoubtedly. The question is which will wipe us out first. My money's on the climate.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Party is over? Exit door a mirage?

In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda's spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found.

Last edited:

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
On Channel 4 now - 10.15 - DID COVID LEAK FROM A LAB IN CHINA?

Do we really care at this stage?

We have more immediate issues, like a sudden overnight jump of 20% in hospital admissions.

Nov 29, 2018
Watching the RTE 9pm news, thousands at Croke Park, hardly a mask in sight, did they have to show proof of vax/negative test for entry?

Expect mass outbreaks in Cork and Limerick.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Watching the RTE 9pm news, thousands at Croke Park, hardly a mask in sight, did they have to show proof of vax/negative test for entry?

Expect mass outbreaks in Cork and Limerick.
Don't mention the war.......!

I asked your question here before and got no answer. I strongly suspect they do not have to show their digital cert but I'm happy to stand corrected on that if I am wrong. Anyway, even if vaxed AND masked, crowds like this are self-evidently a problem with the case numbers the way they are.

Limerick already HAS a very bad outbreak (as has Mayo, funnily enough).

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Do we really care at this stage?

We have more immediate issues, like a sudden overnight jump of 20% in hospital admissions.

The virus that was the 2020 version of #Covid was FIRST sequenced in 2012/2013 when 3 miners in Yunann province in china died from a Bat virus. That virus was captured and then brought to Wuhan lab.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.

I asked your question here before and got no answer. I strongly suspect they do not have to show their digital cert but I'm happy to stand corrected on that if I am wrong. Anyway, even if vaxed AND masked, crowds like this are self-evidently a problem with the case numbers the way they are.

No masks required, no checks it was an honour thing 😁

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
On Channel 4 now - 10.15 - DID COVID LEAK FROM A LAB IN CHINA?

C4+1 at 11.15pm
That show was terrifying.

It seems they went messing with that 2013 similar Coronavirus that killed the 3 miners. A thing called GAIN OF FUNCTION ..

adding features to a natural virus eg make it more transmissible etc. Which would not occur in nature, naturally in this case. And they went messing with the spike

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018

The absence of a robust test, trace and isolate program will make the situation worse. Failing to test all contacts, regardless of vaccination status, is a recipe for disaster. In reality, as vaccinated contacts are neither being tested or told to isolate means that the true numbers are likely to be substantially higher than tested numbers and will result in uncontrolled spread in workplaces, bars, restaurants, homes and community.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Bet you guys did not see this one coming - BIOTERROR.

However I have mentioned it here in the past asking why people dont even consider that it could happen. I am just surprised it has not already ( and no I am not wishing for it ) .. if they "crossed a line" with 9/11 then ...

Tony Blair has warned that the West should prepare for a new bioweapons threat posed by Islamist terrorists in the wake of the Covid pandemic.

In a speech to mark the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington, the former prime minister said that the idea of deadly pathogens being deployed by extremists is no longer “science fiction”.

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

However I have mentioned it here in the past asking why people dont even consider that it could happen. I am just surprised it has not already ( and no I am not wishing for it ) .. if they "crossed a line" with 9/11 then ...

Tony Blair has warned that the West should prepare for a new bioweapons threat posed by Islamist terrorists in the wake of the Covid pandemic.

In a speech to mark the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington, the former prime minister said that the idea of deadly pathogens being deployed by extremists is no longer “science fiction”.
From 1984

In 1984, 751 people suffered food poisoning in The Dalles, Oregon, US due to the deliberate contamination of salad bars at ten local restaurants with Salmonella. A group of prominent followers of Rajneesh (later known as Osho) led by Ma Anand Sheela had hoped to incapacitate the voting population of the city so that their own candidates would win the 1984 Wasco County elections. The incident was the first and is the single largest bioterrorist attack in United States history.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

Tony who?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Tony who?
I realise that and who it is coming from BUT LETS MOVE BEYOND HIM and to the point itself - it does not discount the very real threat, a threat i am surprised has not happened in large scale YET. I think its inevitable TBH .. unfortunately.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Ah its got a name - New variant is MU

Fauci said the Mu variant, technically known as B.1.621, has mutations suggesting "it would evade certain antibodies," potentially including those from vaccines.

"But there isn't a lot of clinical data to suggest that. It is mostly laboratory in vitro data," he added. "...We don't consider it an immediate threat right now."

This MU variant is here:

+ six in Northern Ireland

Last edited:

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I realise that and who it is coming from BUT LETS MOVE BEYOND HIM and to the point itself - it does not discount the very real threat, a threat i am surprised has not happened in large scale YET. I think its inevitable TBH .. unfortunately.
It's been a threat for decades, and an actuality on several occasions. Ask the people of Salisbury, for instance. It has no real relationship to Covid.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
It's been a threat for decades, and an actuality on several occasions. Ask the people of Salisbury, for instance. It has no real relationship to Covid.
Well .. i just added it to this thread title rather than a new thread because bioterrorism will involve human viruses in someway. That's its only relation to Covid, in that Bioterrorism may use viruses

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Mr Blair is attention seeking.

And still sensitive about taking the UK to war in the middle East in a manner that may be construed as illegal - as stated by John Prescott.

Certainly less than honest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40510540

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Well .. i just added it to this thread title rather than a new thread because bioterrorism will involve human viruses in someway
Not necessarily.

Bioterrorism can also use bacteria, fungi and insects and target plants (attacking a nations crops) and animals as well as humans

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018

Yo Blair!

Speaking of whom, he would know plenty about fiction anyway, whatever about science fiction.......

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Here is another VIRUS .. Have not heard of it TBH. We would be in big trouble if this spread globally .. 75% of Nipah infections prove fatal. vs 2% Covid

Like the coronavirus, Nipah is a zoonotic virus, or one that is transmitted from animals to humans. Transmission generally occurs when humans either come into direct contact with the animals, or through consumption of contaminated food. But a high number of human-to-human transmission cases of Nipah have also been reported.

Fruit bats of the family Pteropodidae — commonly known as the "flying fox" — are the natural carriers of Nipah.

An infected human typically shows symptoms including fever and headache for anywhere between three days and two weeks, followed by a cough, sore throat and respiratory issues. The condition later progresses swiftly to swelling in the brain cells, leading to drowsiness, confusion, and then possible coma and death.

There is no cure or vaccine for Nipah yet, and patients are only given supportive medical care.

According to the World Health Organization, up to 75% of Nipah infections prove fatal. The mortality rate for the coronavirus, by comparison, is believed to be about 2%

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Latest data .. it seems though Testing is going up but Positivity rate is going down ?

Some good news perhaps ( read the small twitter thread from Andrew )

Last edited:

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Latest data .. it seems though Testing is going up but Positivity rate is going down ?

Some good news perhaps ( read the small twitter thread from Andrew )

The Covid hub is giving a 9% positivity rate over 7 days so the above seems to imply that the rate must have come down by today. Certainly I am surprised the case numbers have not gone a bit higher, given the alleged chaos in schools. The problem seems to be that every child with sniffles is being sent for testing and this obviously increases the test numbers, whether to any good effect is debatable.

The latest HPSC report shows figures falling week-on-week in all but 8 counties, and significant rises only in Clare, Laois and Carlow.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Tall order I imagine and lofty ideal in that how do you make sure NO VIRUS will ever turn a local epidemic again into a global pandemic? Only way to stop that is stop globalisation, close borders as a policy in general etc. A virus does not fall in with human rulez

I applaud the idea though, at least its something that was not before

Nov 29, 2018

All down to "community" spread, no mention of unvaccinated staff, the real cause. Long past time Ireland made vaccination compulsory for all employees in these settings, France did it and effective November it will be a criminal offence in the UK to employ unvaccinated staff in care homes.

The families really need to speak out and demand a safe environment for their loved ones. Same rules should apply to all employed in health/medical/social care sector including management, administration, cleaning and all other support services.

Until then these cases will continue to increase and lead to more preventable deaths.

Feb 26, 2019
Only way to stop that is stop globalisation, close borders as a policy in general etc. A virus does not fall in with human rulez
And then along comes a virus that's transmitted via birds.

Nope, closing borders etc doesn't work, because as you said, a virus won't obey human rules.

So what are the options then? Living in fear forever? Or going back to the stone age?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
And then along comes a virus that's transmitted via birds.

Nope, closing borders etc doesn't work, because as you said, a virus won't obey human rules.

So what are the options then? Living in fear forever? Or going back to the stone age?
The spread of viruses especially ZOONOTIC is the thing and this in many ways is caused by Globalisation and the world getting smaller with humans encroaching on natural habitats forcing animal species to move closer or into human habitation areas. Add to this the whole wet markets thing.

U.N. Predicts Rise In Diseases That Jump From Animals To Humans Due To Habitat Loss - NPR

A new United Nations report warns that more diseases that pass from animals to humans, such as COVID-19, are likely to emerge as habitats are ravaged by wildlife exploitation, unsustainable farming practices and climate change.

These pathogens, known as zoonotic diseases, also include Ebola, MERS, HIV/AIDS and West Nile virus. They have increasingly emerged because of stresses humans have placed on animal habitats, according to the U.N. Environment Program report

So the Q is what can we do about this. It would seem climate change and increase in deadly viruses crossing is a thing.

As an aside ( in the SPACE thread ) .. there is a bit of science about climate and space weather and increase in viruses spreading via the point we are in the solar cycle. Apparently at the moment we are in Solar Minimum which might last for decades or not and brings with it potential colder weather, some say mini ice age. No one yet knows though .. a bit out there

Nov 29, 2018

Why is the DOE not actively pursuing this option instead of sourcing dodgy machines from a non EU manufacturer?

As the ozone machine has proved effective, has it been introduced in all schools prior to reopening, many of these cases could have been avoided.

Of course we have to deal with the fact that the government is determined to perpetuate the myth of "community" transmission rather than accept the reality is school, workplace and hospitality spread.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018

All down to "community" spread, no mention of unvaccinated staff, the real cause. Long past time Ireland made vaccination compulsory for all employees in these settings, France did it and effective November it will be a criminal offence in the UK to employ unvaccinated staff in care homes.

The families really need to speak out and demand a safe environment for their loved ones. Same rules should apply to all employed in health/medical/social care sector including management, administration, cleaning and all other support services.

Until then these cases will continue to increase and lead to more preventable deaths.
I agree with making it compulsory for care staff, but we don't know that unvaxed staff caused all or most of these cases - it could have been a visitor, vaxed or unvaxed, or indeed a vaxed staff member.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I agree with making it compulsory for care staff, but we don't know that unvaxed staff caused all or most of these cases - it could have been a visitor, vaxed or unvaxed, or indeed a vaxed staff member.
Some very elderly people would not have had a very strong immune response to the vaccine. Many of them may have underlying conditions---I think NPHET mentioned those two possibilities

There is also the possibility that, because nursing home patients were vaccinated first, the vaccine effectiveness may have waned by now.

These elderly people with weak immune systems probably need a booster vaccine urgently, before winter sets in.

Top Bottom