• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Irelands ( major ) Climate Action Plan 2021

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I take the simple view that we've left it all too late and are utterly fucked. And news like this reinforces my belief.

Apr 24, 2020
I take the simple view that we've left it all too late and are utterly fucked. And news like this reinforces my belief.

Up to a point.

Strangling supply just drives prices up, it doesn't really reduce demand in this instance.

It has to be focused on profligate individual choices and profligate industrial use.

We could just tank crypto and make those servers stop eating the planet. We'd only be destroying speculative greed.

Nov 27, 2018
Up to a point.

Strangling supply just drives prices up, it doesn't really reduce demand in this instance.

It has to be focused on profligate individual choices and profligate industrial use.

We could just tank crypto and make those servers stop eating the planet. We'd only be destroying speculative greed.
Cryptocurrency is a pox on so many levels. Not only is crypto-mining massively hungry, it's the primary cause of pushing up the prices of GPU and SSD chips, and generates a massive amount of eWaste because of burning out said GPUs and SSDs at a ridiculous rate. Mining cryptocurrency is like putting a car in neutral and piling bricks onto the accelerator. So massive power consumption, hogging and destroying chips and cards, leading to more production of chips and cards, which themselves rely on small quantities or rare metals or unit, so it all piles up...

... and that's before we even get to the "Tulip Fever" of cryptocurrencies in the first place.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Some big greens bash on today around 40th anniversary. Catherine Martin is on the 1pm news. THE FCKING ARROGANCE is colossal.

They have agreed to increase grant amounts AND LOANS via this plan they have. Average retro fit will cost people about 51K then there is the electric car.

Her attitude sounds like suck it up and get into debt ... spare me

Asked why they are not appealing to the people on the ground? I can answser that .. ARROGANCE and it seems to me many of the Greens and ministers are NOT short of a buck, some from already rich backgrounds. Easy to talk of almost 100k debt ( retro fit + EV ) when you are well cushioned now and forever into the future

The Greens to me inc Ryan are very much LET THEM EAT CAKE

Last edited:

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Some big greens bash on today around 40th anniversary. Catherine Martin is on the 1pm news. THE FCKING ARROGANCE is colossal.

They have agreed to increase grant amounts AND LOANS via this plan they have. Average retro fit will cost people about 51K then there is the electric car.

Asked why they are not appealing to the people on the ground? I can answser that .. ARROGANCE and it seems to me many of the Greens and ministers are NOT short of a buck, some from already rich backgrounds. Easy to talk of almost 100k debt ( retro fit + EV ) when you are well cushioned now and forever into the future

I was listening to her as she skilfully avoided any hard questions. From what I am reading elsewhere these heat exchangers are far from reliable and don’t last forever also they are at their most inefficient when we need the heat most.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018

it seems a lot of people didn't learn their lesson the last time out with the Greens in government... a centre right party with brussel sprout earrings on the verge of collapse anyway....

Dunno why people think that they would favour anything but a centre right solution of letting people get into more debt......51k isn't small potatoes and if i'm not mistaken was it your good self who put up the link about the ISME online seminar on dealing with redundancy on another thead. earlier...?....possibly ISME see something on the horizon with the Chinese property market etc......on top of the covid epidemic.....

Any loan secured against your home puts it at risk if you can't pay it back as the banks keep telling us in their ads.......also someone else may be able to clarify but did i read somewhere that you can't access the fair deal scheme if you have an outstanding loan on your house...?

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
I was listening to her as she skilfully avoided any hard questions. From what I am reading elsewhere these heat exchangers are far from reliable and don’t last forever also they are at their most inefficient when we need the heat most.

I lurked over in the other place recently and read some of the thread some good points made......

I don't work in the domestic market but i did work on apartments last year and what i was hearing from colleagues at the time who had previous experience in fitting these air to water units it tallies up with your comments......also some makes of unit are suppoesdly quite hard to get spare parts from what i've heard.....one colleague told me his previous company ended up buying new units and stripping them for parts as it was easier than replacing the whole installed unit ...not cheap at 6k a pop and beyond the range of most normal householders.........

It's easy for some posters to say they willi improve and become cheaper in time when the government wants you to get into debt to the tune of 50 odd large now for something that may not work or be reliable......

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Ryan on rte at 1 again about the great retrofitting plan starting jan 2022.

Grants and LOANS came up again. Of course ryan glossed over all that and unfortunately the journo did too. One would expect she would have dug down into the loans and grants, but no.

She did bring up the average €53k per retrofit that ryans own dept estimated. Ryans general reply .. grants and loans said fast. She just moved on ..

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Ryan on rte at 1 again about the great retrofitting plan starting jan 2022.

Grants and LOANS came up again. Of course ryan glossed over all that and unfortunately the journo did too. One would expect she would have dug down into the loans and grants, but no.

She did bring up the average €53k per retrofit that ryans own dept estimated. Ryans general reply .. grants and loans said fast. She just moved on ..

Same with Parlon from the CIF last week and labour shortages ......there seems to be a serious problem within a large section of the Irish media when it comes to going after government ministers along with people from the Irish establishment including business and industry leaders and populist statements........populism apparently is only something opposition politicans engage in....

God forbid we would ever seriously investigate to see if there was some sort of links between politics and vested interests ....even the British for all their faults still have some people within the law and socal media who have blown the whole Covid and PPE procurement scandals wide open......

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Indeed....

Channel 4 news a few weeks back blew the lid off on a follow up from a Dispatches programme about the quality of the building work on new homes in England some of which were supposedly passed out and energy rated .......

It was so bad in one house with air leaking in that the person ended up sleeping with a fire extingusher and blanket beside her bed until she was finally forced to move out......

It was also pointed out that the Tory government from i think 2016 had lowered building standards which had led to building companies and developers creaming in large profits .....

Last edited:
Top Bottom