• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Life in Lockdown: Personal Experience of the 2020 Coronavirus outbreak in Ireland & other countries

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
This is a thread for members to document their lives and experiences during the lockdown in Ireland in March 2020. It will serve as a good archive once the crisis is over and we return to normal life.

At the time of writing, only schools, colleges and cultural facilities are shut but we have been told to take precautions regarding our social lives and as a result, many pubs and restaurants have decided to shut down.

Other countries such as Italy and Denmark have completely locked down society and that is something that may very well happen here in the near future and it is worth documenting your experiences here.

Finally, yesterday, day 1 of the lockdown minor - there was mass panic buying of essentials from shopping centres despite reassurances that the supply chains are well stocked. For some reason, people are hoarding toilet roll.

Share your experience. Document it so you can look back on this in a few months and think, we got through it...

Rus
13/03/2020

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
I’ll start sure. Went to Lidl last night around 9:30 shortly before closure. It was quiet at this point, despite being manic all day. The fruit and veg, rice and pasta stalls were wiped out. Anti bacterial wipes were being sold at a max of two per customer. Staff looked exhausted.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Passing an Aldi this morning and even through the window I could see they had restocked everything.

A lot of people are going to feel stupid today.
That would be because a lot of people behaved very, very stupidly.

D

Deleted member 72

Hopefully, people will see the foolishness of their completely unnecessary panic buying yesterday and learn from it.
However, today is Pension Day and the weekly shopping day for a lot of people, we could see a repeat.

I’d hate to see the reaction if there were actual shortages.

D

Deleted member 72

And furthermore, it will be worth watching how Ireland’s sense of community and our reputation gained during the various storms and snows for looking out for elderly neighbours etc holds up.

I’m taken by an article by the late Jonathan Miller where he argues that the respect afforded the elderly in the past by virtue of their living through wars and perceived wisdom might dissipate when the old become too plentiful and a burden,

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I work from home 90% of the time. Shifting to 100% is nor much of a change. The biggie is all work travel is banned.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Colleague went up to Tesco to buy pastries for break, the panic is in full swing already and it's not even 10am.

Stupid, stupid, stupid people.
Not really, if you have to self isolate for two weeks you need food and sundries, perfectly understandable.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I predict queues at Homebase and Woody's as people get bored from being off work or self-isolating, and decide to paint the spare room or tidy the garden.

I cannot queue. I think it is a medical condition, like one of those conditions where you have to wear a medical bracelet.

I am going to my fishmonger today , as usual, but if there are more than 6 or 7 people in the queue, I will return home and defrost something from the freezer.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
I predict queues at Homebase and Woody's as people get bored from being off work or self-isolating, and decide to paint the spare room or tidy the garden.

I cannot queue. I think it is a medical condition, like one of those conditions where you have to wear a medical bracelet.

I am going to my fishmonger today , as usual, but if there are more than 6 or 7 people in the queue, I will return home and defrost something from the freezer.

I really thought it was just me! I simply cannot abide queues and will never enter a shop/coffee-shop/whatever if I see a queue. It's probably the main reason I refuse to drive in the city and cycle instead.

Herself is resigned to it at this stage.

I think it is a medical condition - certainly not amenable to logic.

S

Sky

It might be your back. I can't stand for extended periods of time. Walking long distances is no problem, but standing gets very painful after about 5 minutes.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
No, it's totally moronic and selfish. They aren't stocking up in case the have to self isolate, they are stocking up because they think everyone else thinks like them.
There are exceptions. I have a dependent who is reliant on insulin for survival and has myriad other isues - I'm collecting two weeks supplies for him later today. They aren't immediately necessary - so it is stockpiling to a degree.

We can all survive food shortages - but medical supplies are essential for the survival of some of our more vulnerable.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
It might be your back. I can't stand for extended periods of time. Walking long distances is no problem, but standing gets very painful after about 5 minutes.
No I think I am just too impatient. Standing waiting for something to happen seems such a waste of one's precious life.

Or maybe it's my peasant roots. We never had queues back in the day, in our rural isolation. You didn't see anyone much except your own family

Reactions: Sky
S

Sky

There are exceptions. I have a dependent who is reliant on insulin for survival and has myriad other isues - I'm collecting two weeks supplies for him later today. They aren't immediately necessary - so it is stockpiling to a degree.

We can all survive food shortages - but medical supplies are essential for the survival of some of our more vulnerable.
Anyone dependent on daily medication, would be wise to stock up.

Sometimes manufacturers go out of business and other sources need to be found. This happened a few years ago with some common medications and there were limited supplies.

Given yesterday's financial disasters it is something to be wary of.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
We could start another thread....

But books or films suitable for the lockdown?

They would have to be comforting....we have enough horror and scare stories in the real world

I was suggesting Jane Austen elsewhere...or Proust....or maybe PG Woodhouse or Evelyn Waugh...
Stephen King?

curio

Feb 26, 2019
Just back from the Tesco that was busy before 10am and it all seems to have abated. The worst of the initial panic is probably behind us.

curio

Feb 26, 2019

They would have to be comforting....we have enough horror and scare stories in the real world

I was suggesting Jane Austen elsewhere...or Proust....or maybe PG Woodhouse or Evelyn Waugh...
I like that idea. I've loads of books to read, although the only Austen I could reread is Persuasion.

At least in Persuasion we see the crumbling fortunes of aristocracy unlike in her other tomes where the number of attics a house possesses conquers all. I always found it most amusing how Mis Bennet could overcome her prejudice once she beheld Pemberly.

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

Proust definitely. A personal recommendation would be Dorothy Richardson's Pilgrimage.

S

Sky

I posted a list of movies on the other thread about survival and adversity.

About half of them are a modern reworking of Robinson Crusoe: Castaway, The Martian, Life of Pi etc.

I would recommend reading that, except I found it possibly one of the most boring books ever written, with the endless inventory taking.

Although it's good practice:

7 tins of beans - assorted
2 cartons coconut milk
1 large bag of rice
1 live guinea pig
1 dead hamster - do not eat

Nov 29, 2018
Anyone dependent on daily medication, would be wise to stock up.

Sometimes manufacturers go out of business and other sources need to be found. This happened a few years ago with some common medications and there were limited supplies.

Given yesterday's financial disasters it is something to be wary of.
When I get my.prescripton renewed.I collect all six months of the meds at the same time. I have a five month supply on hand at present.

MOTS

Dec 24, 2019
Just back from the Tesco that was busy before 10am and it all seems to have abated. The worst of the initial panic is probably behind us.

Yep - even a "Panic" gets utterly boring after a while for the majority of people.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I like that idea. I've loads of books to read, although the only Austen I could reread is Persuasion.

At least in Persuasion we see the crumbling fortunes of aristocracy unlike in her other tomes where the number of attics a house possesses conquers all. I always found it most amusing how Mis Bennet could overcome her prejudice once she beheld Pemberly.
Curio, we have so much in common!🙂

Persuasion is lovely--more melancholy and wistful and tinged with regret than her earlier novels, as she herself was older then with less hope of finding love or joy

Elizabeth in P&P is a delight. I love the snobbish aunt who fears that Elizabeth would "pollute the shades of Pemberly" with her modest, unastocratic origins

Nov 27, 2018
Have to sort out some things at the department office and pick up some books from my office, so walking through my university's campus now.

It's a ghost town.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 72

Just back from the regular weekly shop, busier than normal but not as bad as yesterday, according to the person at checkout. A couple of older people were wearing vinyl gloves, maybe they’ve underlying conditions.

S

Sky

Just back from the regular weekly shop, busier than normal but not as bad as yesterday, according to the person at checkout. A couple of older people were wearing vinyl gloves, maybe they’ve underlying conditions.
For all you know... (see post #33 above)

snorlax

Dec 11, 2019
I am planning to read heavy stuff that you need time and space to ponder. I am working through Husserl's phenomenology, along with Merleau-Ponty's work and Gadamer's Truth and Method. I might revist Heidegger, but I'm still not convinced about the old Nazi.

Top Bottom