• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Music

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
It ain't no letter.

Amazing - especially as he wasn't running on a carbohydrate based metabolism back then, but the Keef Richards diet ;)

And the Leon Russell eyes look ... strange. Reminds me of one Hemingway's insults about Wyndham Lewis - "Under the black hat, when I had first seen them, the eyes had been those of an unsuccessful rapist."

I read that Joe cleaned up, and in his latter years spent most of his earnings funding an orphanage. A great guy

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Elsewhere we were talking about Rod Stewart - he left Blues and Rock to go into ballads - but important to remember he was, for the times, brave to record and release as a single the Killing of Georgie from Night on the Town. I remember it caused quite a bit of muttering at the time

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Love that album. But then it's a Mingus record so that kind of goes without saying.

I often think that, for all that I love folk and rock music - hell, pretty much most kinds of music - the jazz of the 1950s and early '60s was simply the most intelligent popular music ever made.

As Cruimh said it takes a few listens to get into a lot of it.......i have a Miles Davis Quintet ( live in Europe i think ) CD someone gave me years ago before he got into the more avent garde electic stuff that's up there with the best of them but i like some of the electric as well....

Mingus was a nutter...i read a story about him chasing one of his band members around a hotel once with a fire axe because he asked him for a pay raise IIRC..... :D

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Between Time and Timbuktu
As Cruimh said it takes a few listens to get into a lot of it.......i have a Miles Davis Quintet ( live in Europe i think ) CD someone gave me years ago before he got into the more avent garde electic stuff that's up there with the best of them but i like some of the electric as well....

Mingus was a nutter...i read a story about him chasing one of his band members around a hotel once with a fire axe because he asked him for a pay raise IIRC..... :D
No big fan of electric Miles myself - certainly compared to the '50s stuff, when he was a pure wizard. A complete arsehole as a human being, it would seem, but sure you can't have everything!

There's a few bits and pieces of Mingus that I'm not completely enamoured of, but in the main I love it all - most especially the band with Eric Dolphy that toured Europe in 1964. I spent the better part of 10 years trying to locate all the various bootlegs of that tour ... then thank god the internet came along and made it all easier!

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
No big fan of electric Miles myself - certainly compared to the '50s stuff, when he was a pure wizard. A complete arsehole as a human being, it would seem, but sure you can't have everything!

There's a few bits and pieces of Mingus that I'm not completely enamoured of, but in the main I love it all - most especially the band with Eric Dolphy that toured Europe in 1964. I spent the better part of 10 years trying to locate all the various bootlegs of that tour ... then thank god the internet came along and made it all easier!

YouTube comment on a Coltrane album

Coltrane would sometimes do a show playing just one song, experimenting, all night. When he told Miles that he sometimes didn't know how to stop, Miles said, "Why don't you just take the mufu*kin' horn out yo' mouth". Gold!

Mitsui2

Nov 30, 2018
Between Time and Timbuktu
As a fake it was pretty well done - though the piano (of all things in a would-be Brubeck clone) lets it well down.

But the very idea of a Brubeck paean to heroin leaves me (for reasons I can never quite tease out) somewhat queasy.

No offence intended to either Brubeck or heroin fans. They just don't sit well together in my own mind.

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
As a fake it was pretty well done - though the piano (of all things in a would-be Brubeck clone) lets it well down.

But the very idea of a Brubeck paean to heroin leaves me (for reasons I can never quite tease out) somewhat queasy.

No offence intended to either Brubeck or heroin fans. They just don't sit well together in my own mind.
I won't not read to much into it a bit of fun.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Top Bottom