• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Questions and answers about how things work here.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
PLEASE can someone tell me how to stop getting these wretched emails telling me someone's replied to a thread. I've disabled all the notification options under 'Preferences' and I'm still getting them!

ivnryn

Dec 5, 2018
PLEASE can someone tell me how to stop getting these wretched emails telling me someone's replied to a thread. I've disabled all the notification options under 'Preferences' and I'm still getting them!
You need to disable it in preferences.

https://irishpolitics.online/account/preferences

Disable all 5 email options and also disabled push notifications (including the two "and receive email notifications" options). (hit save)

https://irishpolitics.online/account/account-details

Make sure both email options are disabled. (hit save)

That might not fix threads that you have already replied to (but should prevent you getting emails for any new thread).

To fix that you need to manually unwatch them. That is at the top of the thread on the right.

Alternatively, you can post another reply. Right click on reply for a post and then open in new tab. You will get two options at the bottom. Make sure the email option is deselected and then reply to the thread.

Nov 28, 2018
Admin, is it possible to install a feature allowing a user to ignore an entire thread?

CatullusV

Feb 15, 2019
A question: is it desirable or even allowable that posters include their handle from another site when they start a thread - in the thread title? It seems somewhat redundant. I'm referring to Grand Torino, who does that on Pish. His alternative handle here seems to be doing it.

Nov 27, 2018
A question: is it desirable or even allowable that posters include their handle from another site when they start a thread - in the thread title? It seems somewhat redundant. I'm referring to Grand Torino, who does that on Pish. His alternative handle here seems to be doing it.
Put it another way, are posters allow to promote themselves professionally on the site?

Colm

Administrator
Nov 26, 2018
No, you actually posted a message on my profile.

You need to send a PM, this way we can catalogue official requests in compliance with GDPR.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
What's the site policy in regard to matters covered by UK D-notices, please?

I heard something said on RT America Live yesterday in regard to a big British news-story; apparently there's something being left out because of a D-notice.
Not sure. One for @Colm. However if it's already in the public domain, I wouldn't imagine there to be an issue. The problem would be if it wasn't in the public domain.

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
Not sure. One for @Colm. However if it's already in the public domain, I wouldn't imagine there to be an issue. The problem would be if it wasn't in the public domain.

UK D-Notices are a voluntary agreement between the British Government and the British Media, (supposedly)designed to protect the National Security of the UK...what possible effect could they have on this site?

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
I do that every time I step outside the house. And sometimes I don't even have to step outside...

Jeez, don't tell me you let him in the house...:eek:....;)

Jan 24, 2019
inner northwest London
On reflection I'll let it drop.

There's an aspect of a big British news-story that's covered by a D-notice and so not being reported in the UK's mainstream media, .

Mentioning it here, though not illegal, might have surreptitious consequences for this site.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I cannot use italics, bold, smilies or underlining, because those symbols at the top of my message box have become faint and unworkable.

How do I reactivate them?

Thank you.

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
I cannot use italics, bold, smilies or underlining, because those symbols at the top of my message box have become faint and unworkable.

Thank you.
O/S? Browser(more than one)? New or updated ad blockers?

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

Thank you.
There's a little "cog" in the bottom right of your ribbon when typing, called "toggle BB codes". Click it then you should have all the options.

Seosamh

Nov 29, 2018
I am afraid I do not understand that.

I use a smartphone.

Have you tried Hollandia's fix yet? What type of smartphone?( Apple, Android...) Which browser(app) do you use to access the internet? Have you tried using another Browser? Do you have any Ad Blockers installed....when did the problem start, what happened immediately prior to the trouble...updates? new apps/programs?...

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
I
Have you tried Hollandia's fix yet? What type of smartphone?( Apple, Android...) Which browser(app) do you use to access the internet? Have you tried using another Browser? Do you have any Ad Blockers installed....when did the problem start, what happened immediately prior to the trouble...updates? new apps/programs?...
It's a Huawei. I use Chrome. I have no ad-blocker
It happened when I joined this site. The symbols for italics, smilies, etc are faintly visible above the message box, but do not work when selected

They worked on Pie

I can't see anything on the bottom right of my "ribbon", whatever that is.

I found a red dot on the top left of my phone keyboard. When I pressed it, something came up for Clipboards--but no sign of italics or bold, etc

Anyway, it is not very important. I can live without italics or bold or smilies. I am not going to change my browser or settings for them

Thank you both for your help.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Gg, the cog is on the top of your text box
😁 Well, I've found a smiley! Thanks!

I might even find some italics one of these days.

Although it's hard to beat the old system of having them permanently located in clear lettering above the text box

Last edited:

Colm

Administrator
Nov 26, 2018
How can I reply with quote breaks?
Highlight the text you want to quote and press quote, (See Below)

Click Insert Quotes at the bottom of the text editor, and then click iQuote messagespop-upe pop up screen.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
A general comment on how amusing it is to watch republican terrorism apologists getting their little panties in a twist when the nua narrative is shown to be makey up sh1te....
you should have been notified that your post was moved, as were a number of others. Perhaps the mod who did the modding forgot to tick the notify box. You'll see how it works in a minute.

Top Bottom