• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

SPACE THREAD: Grand Solar Minimum, Space Weather, Asteroids, CME's, UFOs etc .. Space Travel ( 24.11.21 - DART Planetary Defence mission launched )

Nov 27, 2018
It
Of course the biggest problem with time travel is arriving at your destination. The assumption that time is a space curve and that we can cheat the curve of time by moving in a straightish line from the present to a point on the curve in the future.

If you could take off in a faster than the speed of light aircraft, you could head off for a year and come back to earth. However You would just have spent one year travelling very fast to arrive back at an Earth that had spent the same year travelling more slowly than you. Nothing would have changed, or would it.

The passage of time is less flexible than we think. While the speed of the earth rotating around the sun is the beginning point of our concept of time. In reality the Atomic Clocks should be the real reference points towards the passing of time.

Stick one Atomic Clock on your theoretical faster than light vehicle and after one year travelling at faster than the speed of light it will still read the same time as the Atomic clock back on Earth.
Also this;

2487E840-F3AA-4FBD-99AE-CD8FD5DCD4F0.md.jpg

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Of course the biggest problem with time travel is arriving at your destination. The assumption that time is a space curve and that we can cheat the curve of time by moving in a straightish line from the present to a point on the curve in the future.

If you could take off in a faster than the speed of light aircraft, you could head off for a year and come back to earth. However You would just have spent one year travelling very fast to arrive back at an Earth that had spent the same year travelling more slowly than you. Nothing would have changed, or would it.

The passage of time is less flexible than we think. While the speed of the earth rotating around the sun is the beginning point of our concept of time. In reality the Atomic Clocks should be the real reference points towards the passing of time.

Stick one Atomic Clock on your theoretical faster than light vehicle and after one year travelling at faster than the speed of light it will still read the same time as the Atomic clock back on Earth.
This whole idea is fascinating. I suppose it's based on Einstein's theory of relativity. It wasn't on the Leaving Cert programme in my time but the Principal of our school was a physicist and was easily side-tracked into taking over another teacher's class in an attempt to explain it to us. I've attempted to read up on it many times since and sometimes think I've got my head around it. Next morning it's gone!

I think there are areas where religion / superstition / science overlap. We've made enormous advances but are not remotely close to full understanding.

Nov 27, 2018
This guy has been pushing his concept of a time machine for a couple of decades:

Ronald Mallet

Mallett’s working theory for his prototype (and a hoped-for feasibility study) is based on Albert Einstein’s theories about relativity. Einstein theorized that gravity was the result of celestial bodies whose mass and energy bent space-time around themselves—not a force like friction or tension, or at least not only that. And because space-time is bent, the way people experience time varies according to the gravity they’re in.

Mallett’s prototype works, he says, by spinning a laser loop that ends up bending time in an ongoing way. He says the time travel mechanism could take you back only as long as the machine itself has been on, which means roughly 2019 at the earliest, assuming Mallett indeed has a prototype. To steward such a machine would take observation and continuous operation over decades and centuries.

Weak and strong gravitational fields can be produced by a single continuously circulating unidirectional beam of light. In the weak gravitational field of a unidirectional ring laser, it is predicted that a spinning neutral particle, when placed in the ring, is dragged around by the resulting gravitational field.

Ron Mallett has new exact solutions of the Einstein field equations for the exterior and interior gravitational fields of the light cylinder.

Ron Mallet has found the exterior gravitational field contains closed timelike lines. The strong gravitational field can be produced by a circulating cylinder of light.

The closed timelike lines indicates the possibility of time travel into the past.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
If you want to watch AMAZON in Space then check out the live coverage from the lads over @nasaspaceflight

May 21, 2021
I'm not as ill-disposed to blasting billionaires off the face of the planet as you might expect. I have problems with them coming back though.
Yeah, while I'm happy to see technology move forward, Ole Jeff might be the first guy to make it in to orbit on the back of people having to urinate in bottles in Amazon warehouses.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Here is Elons version in September:

Inspiration4 is a spaceflight planned for four people aboard the SpaceX Resilience capsule in late 2021. The three-day flight will be the first human spaceflight to orbit Earth with exclusively private citizens on board. The flight will be privately operated by SpaceX using a previously-flown Crew Dragon capsule launched to low Earth orbit. The flight will be sponsored by Jared Isaacman, who will be on the flight along with Hayley Arceneaux, Christopher Sembroski, and Sian Proctor.

This first all-private citizen flight to space is slated to launch as early as 15 September 2021. Inspiration4 is the first crewed orbital spaceflight since the Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission in 2009 whose primary objective is not to visit an orbital space station.

He wont be on it. So this is Orbital. As far as i know they will be doing an unmanned orbital before this with one of the SN Rockets with the Raptors.

As it says above that Inspiration4 will be using one of the already used Crew Dragon capsules which have been back and forth crewing the space station last while. It will use a Falcon returnable rocket to get the Capsule up there

May 21, 2021
He wont be on it. So this is Orbital. As far as i know they will be doing an unmanned orbital before this with one of the SN Rockets with the Raptors.
To give him his credit, if he wanted to join in on the dick measuring contest he could just have thrown a dragon on top of a falcon and gone orbital...tho his corporate boards of Tesla and SpaceX would have been extremely unhappy about it. He has indicated interest in joining the 'Dear moon' mission to orbit the moon when starship is operational, that would be a major milestone of engineering achievement.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
To give him his credit, if he wanted to join in on the dick measuring contest he could just have thrown a dragon on top of a falcon and gone orbital...tho his corporate boards of Tesla and SpaceX would have been extremely unhappy about it. He has indicated interest in joining the 'Dear moon' mission to orbit the moon when starship is operational, that would be a major milestone of engineering achievement.
Yip .. he already got the nod from NASA .. they have selected Starship to land the first astronauts on the lunar surface since the Apollo program. BUT I think Bezos is getting jealous and has gone to court over this so not sure where that is now.

Elons aim is a moon landing by 2024 with NASA apparently. Artemis

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Some funny comments on this tweet. I don't follow space matters closely although I have some low level interest in astronomy. It did occur to me that these recent forays by Musk et al seemed a bit over-hyped in that it wasn't outer space that they were going to. It's either near space or inner space and, if I understood Leo Enright correctly the other day, the US airforce has been flying in that zone since the 1950s. Enright seemed quite underwhelmed. I don't think I'd be interested in one of these trips if it was offered to me for free.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Some funny comments on this tweet. I don't follow space matters closely although I have some low level interest in astronomy. It did occur to me that these recent forays by Musk et al seemed a bit over-hyped in that it wasn't outer space that they were going to. It's either near space or inner space and, if I understood Leo Enright correctly the other day, the US airforce has been flying in that zone since the 1950s. Enright seemed quite underwhelmed. I don't think I'd be interested in one of these trips if it was offered to me for free.

@seanof You cannot really bunch MUSK into this group of Branson and Bezos. Both these guys are pretty much going for the space tourism market at the edge of space around earth. In fact on CNN Richard Quest last night they were not too sure what Bezos USP is in the long run. Caviar and Champagne in space.

MUSK however is at a whole different level and at it the longest pretty much now the goto with his crew dragon capsules shuttling astronauts to/from the space station, also then circling the earth with his tiny starlink broadband satellites .. going up with those almost weekly .. eventually supply cheap broadband to every place on earth. Then he has been testing his starship SN rockets for last good while perfecting lift off, bell flop, descend and vertical land again unassisted so to speak, a wonder to watch. The aim of these is first to go to the moon, some saying by 2024 and then MARS .. with aim of Mars Base by 2050. He has already got the contract from NASA a few weeks ago to supply the capsules and where with all to get to the moon via NASAs Artemis project.

My view is MUSK and SPACEX out in Boca Chica Texas are the real deal while Bezos is a dabbler. Branson .. pretty much sticking with travel, so a jet so to speak 60 miles up vs what he has always done

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
@seanof You cannot really bunch MUSK into this group of Branson and Bezos. Both these guys are pretty much going for the space tourism market at the edge of space around earth. In fact on CNN Richard Quest last night they were not too sure what Bezos USP is in the long run. Caviar and Champagne in space.

MUSK however is at a whole different level and at it the longest pretty much now the goto with his crew dragon capsules shuttling astronauts to/from the space station, also then circling the earth with his tiny starlink broadband satellites .. going up with those almost weekly .. eventually supply cheap broadband to every place on earth. Then he has been testing his starship SN rockets for last good while perfecting lift off, bell flop, descend and vertical land again unassisted so to speak, a wonder to watch. The aim of these is first to go to the moon, some saying by 2024 and then MARS .. with aim of Mars Base by 2050. He has already got the contract from NASA a few weeks ago to supply the capsules and where with all to get to the moon via NASAs Artemis project.

My view is MUSK and SPACEX out in Boca Chica Texas are the real deal while Bezos is a dabbler. Branson .. pretty much sticking with travel, so a jet so to speak 60 miles up vs what he has always done
Sorry, I was entirely wrong to bring Musk into that. I was thinking of Bezos and Branson and space tourism. Exploration in general is to be commended, whether spatial or terrestrial.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Sorry, I was entirely wrong to bring Musk into that. I was thinking of Bezos and Branson and space tourism. Exploration in general is to be commended, whether spatial or terrestrial.
@seanof I mentioned MUSK with his starlink satellite bband project. Here is a great usage for it in Germany already

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

So 12 vile vortices .. never heard of this BUT watching show about these things on SKY History Channel now.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Black Hole news ..

Einstein's theory is pretty robust! It's always fascinated me but I could never really get my head around it. Our school principal, who was both a priest and a physicist but no longer teaching, would happily talk about it till the cows came home. Many's the other teacher's class was cancelled when he called in and we managed to get him on to the topic. We had a permanent class room and the teachers did the moving about. Happy days, overall.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Things really getting exciting in Boca Chica now .. potential stacking of Starship on top of the Booster later today:

Here are 4 shot split live vid showing the site from different angles:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Things really getting exciting in Boca Chica now .. potential stacking of Starship on top of the Booster later today:

Here are 4 shot split live vid showing the site from different angles:

It got cancelled yesterday due to high winds .. Lifting STARSHIP on top of the super heavy booster. As the say in US .. awesome dude :D

Live here with commentary now:

Starship with new BLACK HEAT TILES

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
We have not heard about CMEs recently ( coronal mass ejections )

A minor coronal mass ejection (CME) erupted on the sun a few days ago, and, as expected, it impacted Earth on August 3; however, what wasn’t forecast by the observers at NOAA and NASA was the event sparking a geomagnetic storm.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Interesting read this

With its fuel tanks filled to the brim, NASA’s Saturn V rocket weighed in at 6.5 million pounds during the Apollo missions almost half a century ago. It managed to burn up 20 tons of rocket fuel — every second.

Fast forward several decades, and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk is trying to achieve similar greatness with his space company’s Starship rocket. This time, it’s gonna take a lot of refueling to get there.

.... Only then, will SpaceX be able to tackle the next hurdle in its Moonshot journey: a refueling in space, involving two Starships.

So it seems back in 1969 the Saturn V carried all the necessary fuel onboard BUT the Spacex superheavy booster/Starship will not, with refuel in space. I imagine the superheavy booster is to get starship into space & drops off? Rest of journey a refueled Starship that maybe empty getting to space on top of SH Booster?

May 21, 2021
So it seems back in 1969 the Saturn V carried all the necessary fuel onboard BUT the Spacex superheavy booster/Starship will not, with refuel in space. I imagine the superheavy booster is to get starship into space & drops off? Rest of journey a refueled Starship that maybe empty getting to space on top of SH Booster?
Saturn V was three stages just to get a relatively small amount of mass in to orbit and ready for trans lunar injection, no reusability. Starship and super heavy booster are both reusable craft and because it's so big, Starship will also burn most of it's fuel getting in to orbit. Refuelling means that starship can bring approx three times the mass to lunar orbit than the Saturn V could.

The hope with starship is that it's so versatile that refuelling launches will be something mundane and easy to do.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Saturn V was three stages just to get a relatively small amount of mass in to orbit and ready for trans lunar injection, no reusability. Starship and super heavy booster are both reusable craft and because it's so big, Starship will also burn most of it's fuel getting in to orbit. Refuelling means that starship can bring approx three times the mass to lunar orbit than the Saturn V could.

The hope with starship is that it's so versatile that refuelling launches will be something mundane and easy to do.

So @RelentlessApathy! I was correct in that the super heavy gets starship out of earths orbit and into space. Super heavy comes back to boca chica and starship fuels up in space ( I am assuming to sort weight starship has no fuel or very little when it is being launched to space )???

Ultimately I reckon they will launch from the moon to say Mars and shuttle people from Earth to moon for that purpose?

May 21, 2021
So @RelentlessApathy! I was correct in that the super heavy gets starship out of earths orbit and into space. Super heavy comes back to boca chica and starship fuels up in space ( I am assuming to sort weight starship has no fuel or very little when it is being launched to space )???
Was away for a few days, forgive the slow response. But pretty much as you describe but starship does a bit of the work in that I think Super Heavy gets it about 80% of the way to orbit with starship doing the rest meaning it will be low on fuel and oxygen by the time it reaches it's desired orbit.

Ultimately I reckon they will launch from the moon to say Mars and shuttle people from Earth to moon for that purpose?
Good question in that things with regard to both starship and Nasa's Artemis mission are fairly dynamic in terms of what might happen by the time everything is in operation. Artemis is planning a permanent Lunar transfer station around 2026 onward, but chances are that any starship missions to Mars will transition direct from Earth orbit. SpaceX might start with a single Mars mission as a demonstration and hopefully delivery of the equipment needed to start building a base. Before that, they'll probably run a few unmanned moon missions in the run up to their HLS mission. There's also the "Dear Moon" mission where a Japanese billionaire and a few lucky people picked from the internet will get to orbit the moon and home again, but starship will need to be human rated by then as well. Presumably winning the Artemis human lander contract will speed this up assuming things go well.

Also, here's a great video in case you haven't seen it yet:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Yip @RelentlessApathy! saw that vid, thanks.

I note also that SPACEX sending up civilian crew shortly in Crew Dragon I think

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
That old nemesis, the OZONE LAYER

This year’s hole is now larger than 75 per cent of previous ozone holes at this point in the season since 1979, though it is unclear why it has grown more than usual.

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
That old nemesis, the OZONE LAYER

This year’s hole is now larger than 75 per cent of previous ozone holes at this point in the season since 1979, though it is unclear why it has grown more than usual.
Covid may have had an impact on it.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Pffft "meteorite"
Probably some of the local militia on a practice run...
From that tweet .. reply

I saw a huge fireball (Burning green & orange) and lasted over five seconds out walking in Castledermot at about 7.50. West/Southwest in the sky. Spectacular!

Top Bottom