• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

SPACE THREAD: Grand Solar Minimum, Space Weather, Asteroids, CME's, UFOs etc .. Space Travel ( 24.11.21 - DART Planetary Defence mission launched )

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Astronomers believe that this mysterious object will pass through our planetary system at its closest approach a decade from now, in the year 2031.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I was often wondering how Voyeger 1 and 2 are still transmitting data back to us here on earth - Voyagers 1 and 2 are currently about 13 billion and 10 billion miles from Earth ... wow!!

So here is a good article from 2017 that explains this. Basically the DSN - Deep Space Network and very big antennae on the Voyagers. Still though, amazing they havent got hit by anything and damaged

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
@Truthisfree I thought this had happened last week .. mistaken it seems

The geomagnetic storm could reach category G2, which is moderately strong according to the agency.

"Event analysis and model output suggest CME arrival around midday on 11 Oct, with lingering effects persisting into 12 Oct," it added, with midday in the US meaning late afternoon and early evening in the UK.

The biggest solar storm on record occurred in 1859 and is known as the Carrington Event.

Looks like some of the MSM is over egging this with a bit of Hysteria ( use of words MASSIVE etc ).

As an event, its worth marking all the same as a rare enough in our times of space communications and the like, last biggy being pre all that kind of thing and I suppose thats the unknown bit

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I thought this had happened last week .. mistaken it seems

The geomagnetic storm could reach category G2, which is moderately strong according to the agency.

"Event analysis and model output suggest CME arrival around midday on 11 Oct, with lingering effects persisting into 12 Oct," it added, with midday in the US meaning late afternoon and early evening in the UK.
Interesting thread on this ( from yesterday )

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
So the CME from that Solar Flare hit us directly early AM and will continue at varying degrees for next day or so. Potential for AURORA here in Ireland but most likely for those up more Northerly.

@Truthisfree If interested this is a great site with live data and charts etc about space weather and this event

SPACEWEATHERLIVE.com - Real-time auroral and solar activity
I’ve had the app for years, yeah a C class flare hitting us…I have only seen Northern lights once here back in the mid 90’s Magical, would be great to see them again.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I’ve had the app for years, yeah a C class flare hitting us…I have only seen Northern lights once here back in the mid 90’s Magical, would be great to see them again.
( nice to hear from you @Truthisfree .. )

Was just looking some of this up actually. Particularly the difference tween a SOLAR FLARE and a CME. It seems what we actually have here now is a CME. These take 3 or 4 days to reach earth, this one was ejected from Sun last saturday. While a Flare is photons it seems and only takes 8 hours to hit earth. Either has to be on earth facing side of sun to affect us

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
@Truthisfree Here is the YOUTUBE live feed and also lookback feed of Bezos Blueorigin takeoff with William Shatner aka James T Kirk .. SPACE the final Frontier

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I just cannot warm to BEZOS. I realise Will Shatner is 90 and doesnt have too much left of the clock relatively, but I would have much preferred he went with SPACEX.

Blue Origin just doesnt feel real to me, and BEZOS .. I just find him arrogant, disrespectful and without grace. I would even say undeserving

This really came out after when Will Shatner poured his heart out and Bezos breaks away to the frivolous spraying of champagne just as bill was putting the experience into eloquent words so the rest of us could get a glimpse of what it is like

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Great PIC for comparison - 1968 v 2021

We ARE going back to the moon and I would say permanently now

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Great PIC for comparison - 1968 v 2021

We ARE going back to the moon and I would say permanently now

What did the moon do to deserve this?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
What did the moon do to deserve this?
@Statsman :D

The ARTEMIS Project is what its called. Nasa, SpaceX, ESA ( European Space Agency ) etc. Idea is to now have permanent orbiting habitat + base on moon with a view to exploring from there eg MArs. Most of the energy, Fuel, envir damage is caused by Rocket activity trying to escape earths atmosphere. Moon as you know has no atmosphere so a base there to assemble & go from makes far more sense

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Another big flare incoming Halloween

@Truthisfree So we await for this big CME tonight/tomorrow. This one is way stronger than the last one a week or two ago, Its a strong G3 geomagnetic storm. The coronal mass ejection was launched by the X1.0 solar flare of 28 October. Takes a few days to reach us from the Sun.

This one could cause issues with power outages etc. Already the expected SPACEX crew launch to ISS tomorrow has been postponed until Wednesday.

" Radio communications, including MF, HF, VHF, UHF, cellphones and some satellites, may be interrupted by an X1 class solar flare. "

Keep an eye here:

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com

Last edited:

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018

@Truthisfree So we await for this big CME tonight/tomorrow. This one is way stronger than the last one a week or two ago, Its a strong G3 geomagnetic storm. The coronal mass ejection was launched by the X1.0 solar flare of 28 October. Takes a few days to reach us from the Sun.

This one could cause issues with power outages etc. Already the expected SPACEX crew launch to ISS tomorrow has been postponed until Wednesday.

" Radio communications, including MF, HF, VHF, UHF, cellphones and some satellites, may be interrupted by an X1 class solar flare. "

Keep an eye here:

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com
Real chance of seeing Northern lights here from this…

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
This morning the ISS crew had to move to modules for safety due to debris. Here is an interesting one on this:

No further details so far, but it appears that a ground based missile was used, not a co-orbital-ASAT like the earlier soviet ASAT systems.

However:

"The Orbits of the ISS and the test object do not match. These Satellites are in a 150km higher orbit than the ISS. "

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Initially it was thought the Russian ASAT ( anti satellite weapons test ) was NOT the cause of this debris BUT it seems now it was ..

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
More interesting info on what seems to be a very reckless russian test .. amazing when you consider the ISS has many Russian Citizens on board

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
@Truthisfree

DART ( Double Asteroid Redirection Test ) - First planetary defence test launched earlier on SpaceX falcon rocket ( Launch about 50 mins in ). At about 59.16 the first stage booster lands on "OF COURSE I STILL LOVE YOU" ship off Californian coast. Youtube link below is the live vid from the launch + more

This is the target:

September 2022 is the impact time

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
So we really dont have an Irish Space agency - we are tied in with the ESA ( European Space Agency ). However there are lots of companies in Ireland dealing with space nurtured by Enterprise Ireland. Should we have an actual defined Irish Space agency regardless of how small at the moment and grow it? I wonder could we ever have a space port for launches? Attract like of SpaceX etc

Last year saw 28 companies receive agency backing – 13 of which secured their first ESA contract – with a combined value of €11.5 million. A further €1.5 million was awarded to support research at Irish institutes and universities

Ireland has a long-established history of astronomy and space research. In recent years, Ireland has developed a thriving space industry and research community, facilitated primarily through Ireland’s membership of the European Space Agency (ESA).

The global space economy is valued at around €357.7 billion and for member states looking to cash in on the booming market, he says it’s all about finding the right balance between investing more in ESA and nurturing their domestic space sector.

A chunk of that €357.7bn

Last edited:
Top Bottom