• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Sports: The place for discussing all the sportsing that's going on.

• Thread starter Deleted member 36
  • Start date
  • Replies 5K
  • Views 72K

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
[Mod] FFS - we have asked nicely that people discuss sporting events. Politics and controversies don't belong on this thread.[/Mod]

Post 631

This thread is surely for discussing the sports events themselves, not associated issues, political or otherwise.

Can we keep it as a haven for events - if people want to discuss other issues around sports, then they should start OPs, and bearing in mind why this site was started, try to keep the OPs sensible and respectful?

Otherwise the mod team will have to start infracting people

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Where does it say that? Solskjaer appears to be in a sort of limbo at the moment, according to this:

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-decide-to-sack-solskjaer-with-preferred-candidate-named
It appears that they’ve deleted that tweet and have now named another ex-player, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, as interim manager.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
It appears that they’ve deleted that tweet and have now named another ex-player, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, as interim manager.

Wasn't that what he was originally as well, a sort of fill-in until they found the right manager? You couldn't make it up.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Quite an impressive performance

Slow left-armer Whitehead, 24, claimed a stunning 10-36 off 12.1 overs as Eastern Storm were bowled out for 65.

He bowled two batters, removed three lbw, had four caught and also claimed a caught and bowled.

Whitehead finished with match figures of 15-100 after taking 5-64 in Eastern Storm's first innings.

The all-rounder also scored 66 and 49 at the Recreation Ground in Oudtshoorn.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
The fun is over it seems.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Still it might be better than choosing from the long line of former Man United Legends who always get an airing at this time, is giggsy in jail or what?
Dwight Yorke - availability might depend on whether or not Kate Price is a free agent.
Not a hope in hell of him if Katie is single again....

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Still it might be better than choosing from the long line of former Man United Legends who always get an airing at this time, is giggsy in jail or what?
If he isn’t, he’d be perfect for the job. If ever there was a squad the needed a good kicking, it’s this United one.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
I'm flicking through the channels after that horrific mauling at the Etihad and on BBC, I see Englands women's rugbists beating the American women rugbyists by 90 points to 0, is there any point in this kind of thing?

The commentator is extremely excited as if they scored a last miy winner.

I suppose she can't go " this is shit and fuck Sky" live on the air.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
The rugbyists are doing well again today.
Yip another daycent win for Ireland against Argentina today ( 53-7 .. biggest win against Arg ) to top off a very good Autumn series.

France drubbing the All Blacks last night & England beating Sth Africa. The up coming 6 nations IS NOT going to be as easy as some might think for Ireland with all the other NH teams up a few notches like Ireland

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
There were two rugby matches on yesterday one women’s one men’s both were no contest apparently resulting in unmerciful hidings for our Occidental chums, is there any point in this kind of stuff? Surely there could be Intermediate and Junior levels like the GAA? 😀

On the subject of good hidings, I’m beginning to wonder if Everton will have the swishes new stadium in the Championship?

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
There were two rugby matches on yesterday one women’s one men’s both were no contest apparently resulting in unmerciful hidings for our Occidental chums, is there any point in this kind of stuff? Surely there could be Intermediate and Junior levels like the GAA? 😀

On the subject of good hidings, I’m beginning to wonder if Everton will have the swishes new stadium in the Championship?

The autumn internationals are always an odd mix of very serious games and 'development' tours, and I think that's OK. Apart from any other consideration, I doubt 6N teams want to be embroiled in games against NZ, SA and AUS only, all the time, every autumn. And while we ended up hammering Argentina, they are a useful team and actually gave us a hard enough time of it.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
It's a long time since I understood rugby, which used to be such a simple game. One thing which irritates me about the present game, is the referee's call, when a ruck is taking place to "use it!" This alerts the other team's defense that their opponents are going to pick up the ball and drive or pass it, which seems to me to give them an unfair advantage. I presume the reason the team in possession waits so long to pick up the ball is to invite the other team to move offside. but that is not any business of the ref's surely. Is there some rule about leaving a ball on the ground and not picking it up; is there a time limit?

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
It's a long time since I understood rugby, which used to be such a simple game. One thing which irritates me about the present game, is the referee's call, when a ruck is taking place to "use it!" This alerts the other team's defense that their opponents are going to pick up the ball and drive or pass it, which seems to me to give them an unfair advantage. I presume the reason the team in possession waits so long to pick up the ball is to invite the other team to move offside. but that is not any business of the ref's surely. Is there some rule about leaving a ball on the ground and not picking it up; is there a time limit?
The time limit is 5 seconds, starting from when the ref says 'use it'. If they don't, it's a scrum to the other side. It's to prevent a lot of time-wasting.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The time limit is 5 seconds, starting from when the ref says 'use it'. If they don't, it's a scrum to the other side. It's to prevent a lot of time-wasting.
Also the advantage when holding the ball up is to the team in possession, allowing them the time to get runners and carriers in position.

Top Bottom