• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Sports: The place for discussing all the sportsing that's going on.

• Thread starter Deleted member 36
  • Start date
  • Replies 5K
  • Views 72K

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
[Mod] FFS - we have asked nicely that people discuss sporting events. Politics and controversies don't belong on this thread.[/Mod]

Post 631

This thread is surely for discussing the sports events themselves, not associated issues, political or otherwise.

Can we keep it as a haven for events - if people want to discuss other issues around sports, then they should start OPs, and bearing in mind why this site was started, try to keep the OPs sensible and respectful?

Otherwise the mod team will have to start infracting people

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Three year contract for Carrick

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019
Three year contract for Carrick
Good win, made a couple of funny/unusual decisions on his starting 11, namely stating Martial, not great in first half, changed when Fernandes and Rasgford for Van Der Beek and Martial changed everything with goals from Ronaldo and Sancho, with the Young Boys/Atalanta drawing mean Utd. wins the group. If it's Fernandes V Van Der Beek for starting then VDB did not do enough to show he deserves to play ahead of Fernandes

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019
Wonderful dive here!

Can't see it as it says the video is not available in my location
In the Brighton/leeds game yesterday evening, the ref. gave a free to Leeds in their own penalty area for a dive, though Maupay missed his shot

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Can't see it as it says the video is not available in my location
In the Brighton/leeds game yesterday evening, the ref. gave a free to Leeds in their own penalty area for a dive, though Maupay missed his shot

Worth using a VPN - hilarious.

Or

Deyverson has form in diving LOL

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Jaysus but United are like a bunch of lads pretending to be a football team.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Great match in Tallaght .. Ireland Ladies Football WC qualifier against Georgia .. 64 mins gone

IRELAND 6 - Georgia NIL ... so far

After tonight we second in the table, Sweden first. But we go into other half of playoffs with hefty goal diff after tonight.

Some really nice play, great goals too

Its on RTE 2 at the mo

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
IRELAND 10 - Georgia nil

RECORD BROKEN

NOW 11 in fact
⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽

Full time .. wow
That’s terrible. They really shouldn’t be playing like that, I mean…what’s the point of these lopsided matches, or something.

Like, does it do either team any good?

Surely the idea is to play better teams and IMPROVE!

Georgia, with a drubbing as big as this are never ever going to compete.

It’s surely about competing and progression, not regression.

No one benefits from this surely? Least of all these 2 teams? Have Georgia improved because of this?

Surely playing against likes of Ireland and losing 11 nil is of no use to any one with regard to the advancement of players and teams.

Last edited:

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
That’s terrible. They really shouldn’t be playing like that, I mean…what’s the point of these lopsided matches, or something.

No one benefits from this surely? Least of all these 2 teams? Have Georgia improved because of this?

Surely playing against likes of Ireland and losing 11 nil is of no use to any one with regard to the advancement of players and teams.
Well, they could be the Latvian ladies team.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

As many a footy person says .. You can only play whats in front of you. In other codes like Rugby one could say the same like ITALY getting trounced every year by big numbers in the Six Nations.

However, this match was a QUALIFIER for the next Womens World Cup. This win plus the goals scored really helps Ireland .. it propelled them to 2nd place with a healthy goal difference going into the 2nd half of the qualifiers next year. All the other teams in this group so far have beaten Georgia BUT only by 3 goals at most it seems. Like in rugby the All Blacks honour the weaker team by completely, from start to finish NOT taking the foot off the gas. Might sound odd but they do not lower there team to the other team, they respect the other team regardless by playing there level best

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
As many a footy person says .. You can only play whats in front of you. In other codes like Rugby one could say the same like ITALY getting trounced every year by big numbers in the Six Nations.

However, this match was a QUALIFIER for the next Womens World Cup. This win plus the goals scored really helps Ireland .. it propelled them to 2nd place with a healthy goal difference going into the 2nd half of the qualifiers next year. All the other teams in this group so far have beaten Georgia BUT only by 3 goals at most it seems. Like in rugby the All Blacks honour the weaker team by completely, from start to finish NOT taking the foot off the gas. Might sound odd but they do not lower there team to the other team, they respect the other team regardless by playing there level best
And then there was this:

The above about changes came about after my comment and discussion point from previous page:

So ENGLAND had there last match in WC qualifiers last night .. against San Marino

Result - ENG 10 .. San Mar NIL

The half time result was 6 nil

Im not sure what could should be done about this TBH. No one benefits from this surely? Least of all these 2 teams? Have San Marino improved because of this? Just throwing this out there is all :D

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
And then there was this:
Yip you have a point I changed my mind like the wind and when it suits

I have to say I am back and forth on this one. Most likely in this case I had less sympathy for England because it was England vs my own country .. so @Statsman .. absolutely fair cop, hands up!!!

I would be of the view though that be it San Marino, Georgia, Italy ( rugby ) it would seem in many codes Internationals wise maybe there should be 1st, 2nd tiers etc so teams playing each other are closer in skill levels & development with a way to move from lower to higher tiers and visa versa

Last edited:

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018

Exactly. I go back so far that I can remember an Irish soccer team leading by three goals into the second half and only drawing in the end. That's what you get for not respecting the other team and thinking you can ease up. Most successful teams in any code win not so much by outplaying the opposition as not letting the opposition play at all.

Top Bottom