• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

State apology for Mother and Baby Home Survivors

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The state is to apologise this week to the survivors of Mother and Baby Homes.

Sources have confirmed the estimate is based on infant mortality being twice as high for children born in the homes, compared to children in society at large.

Details of the publication were reported in the Sunday Independent.
RTE is also reporting some disquiet in government circles that details have been leaked prior to cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
I just can’t believe these homes existed up to 1998. Were they hidden in plain sight?

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
I just can’t believe these homes existed up to 1998. Were they hidden in plain sight?
I briefly knew a girl who ended up in one. Went out with her once or twice. Met her a few years later and she was pregnant, not by me, told me she was raped. She ended up in one in Clontarf. She’d ring me almost every night and I tried to help her but I was only a kid. I’ve no idea what happened to her.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Not wishing to understate the seriousness of the issue, but the cynic in me smells 'diversion' all over this, a smell strengthened by the fact that the details were duly 'leaked'. RTE News tonight barely mentioned the disastrous Covid figures, thanks to acres of soft-focus coverage of this issue. It will the same all week, I suspect.

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
Not wishing to understate the seriousness of the issue, but the cynic in me smells 'diversion' all over this, a smell strengthened by the fact that the details were duly 'leaked'. RTE News tonight barely mentioned the disastrous Covid figures, thanks to acres of soft-focus coverage of this issue. It will the same all week, I suspect.
A good way to bury bad news?

Hmm, would not surprise me.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Possibly yes, unfortunately, and how better than to bury it with other (albeit historic) bad news.
Like I've been saying scumbags and their advisors

And it wont be getting buried despite the people they hire..

Last edited:

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018

RTE is also reporting some disquiet in government circles that details have been leaked prior to cabinet meeting on Tuesday.
Reading between the lines of this RTÉ report, it appears the leaker was anxious that any positive spin on communications between the Government and the survivors group should be shared between all three Coalition partners and, perhaps also, that it should not be dominated by one Government "personality" at the expense of another Government "personality".

The newspaper story undermined promises made by Taoiseach Micheál Martin and Minister for Children Roderic O'Gorman in the aftermath of the furore over controversial legislation last year.
Mr O'Gorman has been working to rebuild trust with survivors in the aftermath of the massive controversy over last year's records legislation. He has been reaching out to individual survivors with the aim of carefully managing the publication of this report.
The choreography includes a webinar tomorrow between the Taoiseach, the Children's Minister and survivor groups. Crucially, this will take place before the publication, with the aim of allowing those directly impacted to hear the findings before they are released to the general public.
Now, I wonder who that could be?

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
Reading between the lines of this RTÉ report, it appears the leaker was anxious that any positive spin on communications between the Government and the survivors group should be shared between all three Coalition partners and, perhaps also, that it should not be dominated by one Government "personality" at the expense of another Government "personality".

Now, I wonder who that could be?
Is there anyone in that 3rd government party that has done this kind of thing before,?

D

Deleted member 146

I was reading an article about the apology, and the leak was mentioned. O'Gorman's comments on the leak seemed to be to me far more about him being pissed off that the leak happened rather than, as it seemed he was trying to make it, the claimed negative impact of the leak on the people the apology is directed to.

I know this is a hugely emotive issue and I can't even begin to imagine the impact it has had on those who went through these homes, but I'm not sure it sounds plausible that they'd be upset to find out that they'd be receiving an apology though a new report rather than from the Govt directly then it actually comes. It seemed an odd thing to claim and struck me as both specious and inappropriate for him to claim on behalf of the victims.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I was reading an article about the apology, and the leak was mentioned. O'Gorman's comments on the leak seemed to be to me far more about him being pissed off that the leak happened rather than, as it seemed he was trying to make it, the claimed negative impact of the leak on the people the apology is directed to.

I know this is a hugely emotive issue and I can't even begin to imagine the impact it has had on those who went through these homes, but I'm not sure it sounds plausible that they'd be upset to find out that they'd be receiving an apology though a new report rather than from the Govt directly then it actually comes. It seemed an odd thing to claim and struck me as both specious and inappropriate for him to claim on behalf of the victims.
I think the survivors groups already issued a statement saying they were pissed off at the leak. MLMD made a very pertinent point at the weekend, I thought, when she said in an ideal world those affected should have had the report at least a week in advance of anyone outside the cabinet.

O'Gorman's issue - to me at least - is that after the GDPR debacle, once again government news management paints him in a bad light.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
The cynic in me wonders if the leaks were to distract from the main issues. What happened in the homes and what happened to the survivors. But now the attention has been diverted to chasing leaks

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

The survivors were promised that they'd see the report before the public did. Just another broken promise to a group who've been battered and bruised all their lives.

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018

The point here is one member of the Government deciding how much publicity he gets from an issue far outweighs any consideration of the issue itself. Maybe it's a molehill that doesn't deserve to become a mountain but it's the sort of infantile behavior that erodes the trust needed to keep a government ticking over.

D

Deleted member 146

The point here is one member of the Government deciding how much publicity he gets from an issue far outweighs any consideration of the issue itself. Maybe it's a molehill that doesn't deserve to become a mountain but it's the sort of infantile behavior that erodes the trust needed to keep a government ticking over.
I think that's my issue, it seems that the leaking of the report is now a bigger issue than the report itself and O'Gorman's comments seemed to be focused on that rather than the report - of course, it could just be the way it was reported.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
I think that's my issue, it seems that the leaking of the report is now a bigger issue than the report itself and O'Gorman's comments seemed to be focused on that rather than the report - of course, it could just be the way it was reported.
Classic distraction tactic

there will need to be an inquiry which will report 2023 - delayed to 2025 etc

And more time passes

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
D

Deleted member 146

“Roderic O’Gorman has asked planners to read today’s Commision of Investigation’s findings on burials at the former mother and baby home.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/ogorman-urges-an-bord-pleanala-to-take-account-of-unresolved-burial-questions-at-development-site-5322598-Jan2021/

The financial implications of the use of Church property for various projects have been hugely important IMO to how these affairs have been handled by authorities and state
Fucking hell.
In 1943, 75% of the children who were born or admitted to the Bessborough home died.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
The survivors were promised that they'd see the report before the public did. Just another broken promise to a group who've been battered and bruised all their lives.
Upsetting, disappointing but not surprising.The UK channels are covering it without reference to the leaks.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
I've been thinking about this a lot, particularly as I lived a stone's throw from one of the 'homes' in the report, and I think it's important to remember a few things.

One, I knew that these homes existed, and so did my friends, my parents, my neighbours. Nobody did anything meaningful to stop them. The most I did was to get some bars of chocolate smuggled in from time to time.

Some of you knew about them, as did your parents, etc.

If you're too young to have known about them, your parents did. Some parents sent their daughters to these homes, even though there were other options, options I saw being used in my own extended family.

Yes, the church and state behaved disgracefully, but society as a whole was culpable. It takes a village to raise a child, and it took a village, a town, a county, a city, a country to raise this edifice of repression and abuse. I was culpable by omission, in my own small way. We were all culpable. We own this one.

Last edited:

Outlander

Feb 15, 2019
Away
I was born in 1964, somewhere in England, then brought back to Ireland to be adopted through a religious institution. I have no idea what the circumstances were, but can assume that it was similar to the stories in this new report.

I had a very happy childhood. There was some stigma - "he was adopted", which seemed to be some sort of stain. My sister (also adopted) not so much - she took the adoption thing more seriously.

I don't have a Birth Certificate, I have a "Certified copy of an entry in the Adopted Children Register".

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
I
I was born in 1964, somewhere in England, then brought back to Ireland to be adopted through a religious institution. I have no idea what the circumstances were, but can assume that it was similar to the stories in this new report.

I had a very happy childhood. There was some stigma - "he was adopted", which seemed to be some sort of stain. My sister (also adopted) not so much - she took the adoption thing more seriously.

I don't have a Birth Certificate, I have a "Certified copy of an entry in the Adopted Children Register".
Thank you for sharing that and god i hope I am not being insensitive, do you know how your birth mother dealt with it?

Outlander

Feb 15, 2019
Away
Thank you for sharing that and god i hope I am not being insensitive, do you know how your birth mother dealt with it?
Adoption records are still effectively inaccessible. All you get when you ask is some generic information. I have no information about the circumstances of my birth

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Adoption records are still effectively inaccessible. All you get when you ask is some generic information. I have no information about the circumstances of my birth
Knowing who you are needs to be a right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom