• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

State apology for Mother and Baby Home Survivors

Nov 29, 2018
Philomena Lee among women taking legal action against findings in Mother and Baby Home report

This isn’t going away
Successive Irish governments have managed to drag cases of this nature, and medical malpractice, out for years thus ensuring that the plaintiffs do not live to see that matters dealt with by the Courts. If the foot dragging and delays fail they are not adverse to threatening plaintiffs with costs and loss of family homes. Wasn't that what Noonan did?

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Philomena Lee among women taking legal action against findings in Mother and Baby Home report

This isn’t going away

Isn't this truly heartbreaking:

It broke my heart all over again when I discovered that Anthony had returned many times to Sean Ross Abbey, looking for word of me, only to be told by the nuns that I could not be traced and that in any case, I had abandoned him when he was a few days old…

“Anthony would ultimately die, without hearing from the nuns that they knew exactly where I was was and most cruelly, without telling him, that he and I had lived together for three years, that I had loved him and without telling him that it was my dearest wish to find him, hold him and tell him how much I loved him.

I really hate them catholics. Unrepentant child abusers and money grubbers.

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside

It broke my heart all over again when I discovered that Anthony had returned many times to Sean Ross Abbey, looking for word of me, only to be told by the nuns that I could not be traced and that in any case, I had abandoned him when he was a few days old…

“Anthony would ultimately die, without hearing from the nuns that they knew exactly where I was was and most cruelly, without telling him, that he and I had lived together for three years, that I had loved him and without telling him that it was my dearest wish to find him, hold him and tell him how much I loved him.

Poxbottles.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Though to be fair the Prods were real shits in places like Bethany

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Nov 29, 2018

This unbelievable, O'Gorman and the apparatchiks have a lot to answer for.

The manner in which Marion Reynolds has been treated is appalling. That they deemed it appropriate to deal with someone of her standing in this manner proves the existence of an ongoing policy of disrespect and dismissal of victims of baby theft and illegal adoptions.

Will be interesting to see what the DP Commissioner makes of it.

Last edited:

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Worried about their land getting devalued from losing out on development profits but no mention of paying up what they owe to the victims and the survivors of their other 'facilities '.....
If there had been a government willing to play hardball the orders and church should have been finessed by saying none of their assets would get planning permission until they coughed up ... the parasites looking to make a killing would cut them dead.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Drew Harris says Mother and Baby Home crimes 'difficult to prosecute' despite reports of rape and incest

How about starting with illegal burials and crimes associated with adoptions?

Just because it may not be easy to follow up on why individual girls were in trouble doesn’t mean that how the homes were run shouldn’t face close examination and sanction

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
New helpline for Mother and Baby Home survivors concerned about risk still posed by abuser

Seems sensible
I agree - but the Tuslaspeak annoys me 'Cormac Quinlan, director of transformation and policy, Tusla'

Transformation = getting staff to do their job - making the organisation fit for purpose?

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
O'Gorman says adopted people will get birth certs and other information under new legislation
https://jrnl.ie/5376040

Another Consultative process to address issues so that redress can follow in the future- reads like an episode of yes minister, delay, delay and yet more delay

Amazing what can be done with DNA searching of databases

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Government 'failing to support' priests' children as they search for their fathers

more pressure needed

Indeed...

There seems to be a mistaken belief in some quarters that people who hold very conservative ideology in politcs and in the civil service have all but disappeared....one poster expressed surprise a while back when one was re-elected to the Seanad .....

D

Deleted member 168

Indeed...

There seems to be a mistaken belief in some quarters that people who hold very conservative ideology in politcs and in the civil service have all but disappeared....one poster expressed surprise a while back when one was re-elected to the Seanad .....
I think it's all too obvious that they have simply learned to hold their tongues in public and operate in the background. The delays and deflections over the Mother and Baby Homes show that many are still in place though.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
'Significant victory' for campaigners as planning permission for Bessborough apartments is refused

great news - I wonder if the land owners will have any comeback at the original owner?
This could diminish the value of Church assets if their land won’t automatically get planning permission

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Looked at a piece on the news about illegal adoptions in England from back in the day.....it seems they also have similar issues but don't seem to have been as widely reported.........
'
Also good programme on the BBC during the week called 'Subnormal' about kids from the West Indies who came to Britain with their parents back in the 60's and 70's being disproportionately sent to special schools because of flawed aptitude tests and racism within the educatioal system ....the sad thing about it the programme ended with saying there is a new system in place with a different name that seems to becoming a similar route to get rid of certain kids .......

Anyone yearning for the 'good old days' needs a kick in the hole.....

Last edited:

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Looked at a piece on the news about illegal adoptions in England from back in the day.....it seems they also have similar issues but don't seem to have been as widely reported.........
'
Also good programme on the BBC during the week called 'Subnormal' about kids from the West Indies who came to Britain with their parents back in the 60's and 70's being disproportionately sent to special schools because of flawed aptitude tests and racism within the educatioal system ....the sad thing about it the programme ended with saying there is a new system in place with a different name that seems to becoming a similar route to get rid of certain kids .......

When I hear that term it makes me want to puke.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
'

John Waters misses the good old days

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Survivors and politicians express anger over Mother and Baby Home event

Unwilling to speak to Oireachtas children’s committee yet will take part in an online event in Oxford

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Leo responds

Mother and Baby Homes: Commissioners must 'urgently' clarify how survivor testimony was treated
One can't help but feel the whole thing was designed to be flawed. It is overly legalistic and not balanced by empathy, which I feel is required in a sensitive matter like this

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Pressure mounting - Letter from Historians

The brief letter says in part: "On 2 June, Professor Mary Daly gave a seminar at the Oxford Irish History series and revealed what we had suspected, that the testimony gathered by the Confidential Committee was not weighted equally with other forms of evidence.

"It is clear from yesterday's seminar that the Commissioners made no attempt to adopt a survivor-centred approach to historical research, and that the history was written without consulting survivors’ testimony."

It continued: "No oral historians were consulted and, as a result, best professional and ethical practices were not followed.

"Charges of 'contaminated' memories were levied against survivors in the Executive Summary. Yesterday Professor Daly appealed to us to 'Let it stand'.

"We, as professional historians, cannot let it stand."
and from irish central - long but worth detailed read

Elsewhere in the seminar, Daly detailed the pushback she and the Commission endured from some of the institutions that were referenced in the final report.

“Tuam came with this extraordinary assertion... that those burial tanks were actually purpose-built burial vaults. The kind of thing you see in continental Europe used by royal and other families.

“Now, apart from the idea that a cash-strapped local authority would have constructed something like that in the 1930s...They had the nerve to send that back to us.”

She added: “There were attempts to kind of take all the data, and all the voluminous files we sent...and just blur the stories to muddy the messages.”

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
O’Gorman distances himself from Daly - who probably feels she has been thrown under the bus

Minister writes to survivors in wake of Commissioner Mary Daly's appearance at Oxford event

She flagged the bus down and then jumped under it.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com