• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

State apology for Mother and Baby Home Survivors

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Discussing this, point was made to me

Yes, but they shouldn't be distracted into overlooking where the real blame lies. Daly et al were constrained by the terms of the inquiry who was responsible for that? Sounds as if it was carefully crafted to arrive in the position the commissioners found themselves basically with their hands tied. Though really, if the orders were threatening legal action over what they were finding, they should have stood their ground and let it go to court. All out in the open then with legal discovery, including the financial arrangements...

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
And Women in Scotland are speaking out

Not just Scotland it seems it was widespead across Britain ....

There was a piece on the BBC breakfast programme about it earlier where they interviewed some of the women involved mostly the decades after the second world war up until the late 60's but there was one woman interviewed who had her baby taken as soon as it was born as recently as 1979....

Edit.. Jeannot Farmer was one of the women interviewed i see she was interviewed for this article as well..........

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
@Cruimh ......This was in the sidebar when i clicked on your link......it's a never ending source of amazement to me of how inhuman we can be as a species to each other .....

Between 1863 and 1998, more than 150,000 indigenous children were taken from their families and placed in these schools.
The children were often not allowed to speak their language or to practice their culture, and many were mistreated and abused.

Still going on as recently as 1998. unbelieveable......sounds very like what went on in Australia with the Aboriginal people having their kids taken off them ....

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Two more Catholic churches burned down in indigenous communities in western Canada early on Saturday.

The fires at St Ann's Church and the Chopaka Church began within an hour of each other in British Columbia.

Officers said both buildings were completely destroyed, and they were treating the fires as "suspicious".

Last Monday two other Catholic churches in the province were destroyed in fires, as Canada marked National Indigenous People's Day.

"The investigations into the previous fires and these two new fires are ongoing with no arrests or charges," Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt Jason Bayda said.

It comes after hundreds of unmarked graves were discovered at sites of former residential schools in Canada.

The government-funded compulsory schools were run by religious groups in the 19th and 20th centuries with the aim of assimilating indigenous youth.

Indigenous groups have demanded a nationwide search for more graves.
I would rather see the Organisations involved punished through the courts and by Government action.
If this is revenge for the historical abuse then it will allow them to play the victim

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018

I would rather see the Organisations involved punished through the courts and by Government action.
If this is revenge for the historical abuse then it will allow them to play the victim

The churches being burned in Canada is already being used in the comments to that bogus SF poster you linked earlier on another thread.........

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
“Untold Secrets” - Irish politicians accused of abuse in new documentary
The late Anne Kelly Silke alleges in "Untold Secrets" that she was abused by her foster father, TD Mark Killilea Sr., a founding member of Fianna Fáil, and his son.

All those involved are now dead so while it sounds dreadful, it can only be descibed as allegation

As a general obsevation and not commenting on this case specifically ..... in my experience i've yet to to come across anyone connected to FF over the years who didn't think the world owed them a living and anyone not connected to the party were there to be used......

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
As a general obsevation and not commenting on this case specifically ..... in my experience i've yet to to come across anyone connected to FF over the years who didn't think the world owed them a living and anyone not connected to the party were there to be used......
there does seem to be a culture of familial party politics, not limited to FF and on both sides of the border, akin to the old system of aristocratic enablement in the power structures of 18th century Britain

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
And then, there's Kincora. I've read that Mountbatten was a visitor there. Wasn't sure where to post but this thread seemed apt:

Nov 29, 2018

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Canada mourns as remains of 215 children found at indigenous school

Oh FFS - what a crappy awful world

In 2016, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ruled that the government had underfunded First Nations children's services compared with those for non-indigenous children.

The government appealed against that ruling in 2019, but lost its challenge last month in the federal court.

Mr Trudeau, who won re-election last month, came into office in 2015 promising to strengthen and restore ties with native communities.

Speaking from the Netherlands ahead of international summits in Rome and Glasgow, he told reporters: "We are committed to compensating indigenous people who were harmed as children in child and family services."
Billions of Dollars might seem excessive - but punitive levels of compensation are the only thing that will get the attention of "the system"

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Maybe these archaeologists will get some traction.

What’s disgraceful is that the video included in the article was from four and a half years and two Taoisigh ago, and we are still in what Kenny then called “a period of reflection”.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Maybe these archaeologists will get some traction.

What’s disgraceful is that the video included in the article was from four and a half years and two Taoisigh ago, and we are still in what Kenny then called “a period of reflection”.

Here's a clue - The Political Dynasties still have power

A filmmaker is battling to have her Mother and Baby Homes documentary shown in Ireland due to backlash from a political family named in the film.

She alleges she was treated like a “slave” in their home.

Documentation provided by the state agency Tusla shows that Silke was fostered in 1958 by a “Mr and Mrs Killealea [sic]” and the documentary draws together testimony that the man who fostered Silke was Mark Killilea Sr, a founding member of Fianna Fáil who represented Galway constituencies within the Dáil for nearly three decades, from the 1930s to 1961.

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

The Irish government has set out its proposals for a redress scheme to compensate thousands of former residents of mother-and-baby homes.

It has estimated that about 34,000 former residents will be eligible for compensation payments, at a total cost to the state of €800m (£676m).

Proposed payments begin at €5,000 and are capped at a maximum of €125,000.

All mothers who spent time in the homes are eligible, but children must have been resident for at least six months.

Announcing the proposals, Minister for Children Roderic O'Gorman said: "It represents a significant milestone in the state's acknowledgment of its past failures and of the needless suffering experienced by so many of its citizens."
The residency for 6 months requirement will exclude children who were adopted out soon after birth, which has raised some eyebrows.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

The residency for 6 months requirement will exclude children who were adopted out soon after birth, which has raised some eyebrows.
Most likely designed that way, as that is an entirely separate, and mostly unopened can of worms.

Nov 29, 2018
Most likely designed that way, as that is an entirely separate, and mostly unopened can of worms.
He is being excoriated for his insensitivity and lack of empathy, seems he made some comment to the effect "sure they don't remember anything at six months".

It never ceases to amuse me, in a rather malicious way, how sainted individuals like zapper and the current green manifestation, will stop at nothing to keep their snouts in the trough.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
The state is protecting itself whilst giving the smallest possible amount deemed respectable to the victims, kicking another can along the road and generally pissing me off. How surprising.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

What happened in the homes was wrong, utterly indefensible, and should never have been tolerated. However, the reality is that the state isn't paying this, everyone who pays tax in Ireland is, and the government have some kind of obligation to balance the need for restitution with the needs of the rest of the economy, and the rest of society. That may not be palatable, but it is the case.

Nov 29, 2018
The state is protecting itself whilst giving the smallest possible amount deemed respectable to the victims, kicking another can along the road and generally pissing me off. How surprising.
Relying on the time honoured method of dragging it out until the survivors are dead.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
What happened in the homes was wrong, utterly indefensible, and should never have been tolerated. However, the reality is that the state isn't paying this, everyone who pays tax in Ireland is, and the government have some kind of obligation to balance the need for restitution with the needs of the rest of the economy, and the rest of society. That may not be palatable, but it is the case.
I suppose looking at the incredible wealth of the xtians is a bridge too far for our society.

Top Bottom