• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Brexit thread

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
[MOD] Can I remind you of some site rules, ones that are been broken so often on this thread that I don't have time to address them all individually?

• Tweets and videos should be accompanied by a brief description and if necessary a time line as outlined in the OP section.
  • If a video forms part of an OP (or ordinary post), the OP (or post) shall clearly set out the content which is relevant to the thread, and shall provide times of the relevant section of the video.
From here on in, I'm inclined to just delete offending posts.[/MOD]

[MOD2] Consider this a gentle reminder also of the proper use of names. We've noticed a lot of use of the term "the Brits" being used. Whilst this is generally not being used in a derogatory or pejorative way, it can be perceived to be both, so please avoid using it. Alternative, non-contentious terms can be used, eg The British, HMG, UKG, Westminster, etc., etc. We don't want to have to unnecessarily remove otherwise informative or incisive posts, but we will start doing so. [/MOD2]

Last edited by a moderator:

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
good deal for ni
Politics follows the economics ...Johnson and Frost are just going thrugh the motions for the interational audience to try and hold onto the fantasy as Britain being one of the worlds big global players and any creditibility have left which in many parts of the world is at zero anyway........they know the game is up and if they want Singapore on the Thames the price is the Union.....

Foster has already done a burner to GB news and i'd be surprised if others in Unionism aren't already househunting in the home counties after leading their electorate up the ramp into never never land....

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
You are all very sadly undercommitted to the version of history whereby the Empire was an accidental British realisation of and commitment to the UK's moral duty to improve the lives of black, brown and (in the case of Ireland) white people on the planet.

Basically youse are just being nasty to your betters!
Some or us are living it in a supposed republic....

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
You are all very sadly undercommitted to the version of history whereby the Empire was an accidental British realisation of and commitment to the UK's moral duty to improve the lives of black, brown and (in the case of Ireland) white people on the planet.

Basically youse are just being nasty to your betters!
The least we should do to aid this noble and generous gesture by our colonial betters to rewrite our history is to offer the services of our most noted historians like Eoghan Harris, Ruth Dudley Edwards, Kevin Myers, Ronan Fanning and Stephen Collins - and, if we really want to humbly express our gratitude, we could even coax Micheál Martin, Leo Varadkar, John Bruton, Charlie Flanagan and Regina Doherty to give their political imprimatur.

It's an awful pity poor Conor Cruise O'Brien and Seán The Traitor O'Callaghan are no longer with us to contribute to this right-thinkin' crusade.

im axeled

Feb 21, 2019
will this come to anything, click on the link below
Jennifer Arcuri agree to assist ethics enquiry.

A fresh inquiry has opened into Boris Johnson’s relationship with Jennifer Arcuri after the US businesswoman dramatically agreed to assist officials, paving the way for the prime minister to face possible criminal investigation.

Arcuri has formally offered to help the Greater London Authority (GLA) ethics watchdog by allowing it to inspect extracts of her diary entries chronicling her affair with Johnson and agreeing to be questioned for the first time by investigators over the relationship.

May 21, 2021
Much as it raises the heckles, it's yet another distraction and about as likely to be implemented as the already abandoned bridge to Scotland and that's with less mines under the sea bridge.

The Daily Telegraph suggested that plans for the ‘official’ history were drawn up in response to fears that “IRA supporters are rewriting history”
Somehow IRA supporters have agency now in writing history, and somehow yet again, this distraction placates the Unionists enough to distract them from their own disintegrating place in the union. Funny however that Unionists in the past were under no illusions when it came to the perfidy of the English, yet are now so desperate they'll take any aul bone this Tory government throws them. Things must be desperate indeed.

Outlander

Feb 15, 2019
Away

Oh dear God,
There is no end to the lunacy
The only reference that I can find is in the Express (sorry), and it is not quite an invitation to invasion:

“How about this as another one, we’ve got Poland who have been very receptive to getting international help for strengthening up it’s Belarus border, why don’t we make a very generous offer to the French authorities and say you are struggling how many troops do you need to patrol these 100 miles of beach and stop this from happening.”
I suspect that farts would be sent in the general direction of the "generous offer".

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The only reference that I can find is in the Express (sorry), and it is not quite an invitation to invasion:

I suspect that farts would be sent in the general direction of the "generous offer".
"Fetchez la vache!"

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
Top Bottom