• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Donald Trump Thread

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
it is confusing as in the suit he seems to be accepting that Biden IS the President but is blaming Biden for failure to act in November when Trump was still the President
Someone should take him aside and say, "Mike, stick to what you know about, stick to the pillows."

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
Only three more years to go before Trump returns to haunt the Whitehouse.

That's a scary thought, if he gets back in he will take it as a sign that he can do absolutely anything and get away with it. His meeting with Rittenhouse and lavish praise for the shooter show that he's still embracing the same militia types that he used in his Coup attempt.

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021

That's a scary thought, if he gets back in he will take it as a sign that he can do absolutely anything and get away with it. His meeting with Rittenhouse and lavish praise for the shooter show that he's still embracing the same militia types that he used in his Coup attempt.
He might run, but I just can’t see him getting elected.

DeSantis or Abbot are much more likely to be the candidate for the GOP.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.

I'm wondering when historians will say "the first shots were fired" in the Second American Civil War?

Nov 27, 2018

I'd agree, it could be argued that Trump was more damaging to Republicans than to Democrats during his tenure, so a signigificant chunk of the Republican Party might be very happy to see the back of him. The MAGA crowd are who they are, but a lot of Republicans might prefer a more predictable set of hands on the wheel.

Last edited:

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
I'd agree, it could be argued that Trump was more damaging to Republicans than to Democrats during his tenure, so a signigificant chunk of the Republican Party might be very happy to see the back of him. The MAGA crowd are who they are, but a lot of Republicans might prefer a more predictable set of hands on the wheel.
They seem to be terrified of Trump and his supporters.

Ó Gabhainn

Mar 12, 2019
I don't have much faith in that. There are Republican voters who put there heads in their hands when confronted with the story of people being hospitalised after injecting themselves with disinfectant because Trump told them to, and these voters know that Trump got it all wrong when it came to covid except the knee-jerk response to banning flights from China - or saying that at least - but these voters would go out and vote for him again tomorrow.

Nov 27, 2018
They seem to be terrified of Trump and his supporters.
I wouldn't blame them for being terrified of rabid lunatics. But you can be terrified and do nothing, or terrified and do something. The MAGA crowd have managed to rip the Republican Party down the middle and, if they're let continue, they'll tear that party to shreds.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
I wouldn't blame them for being terrified of rabid lunatics. But you can be terrified and do nothing, or terrified and do something. The MAGA crowd have managed to rip the Republican Party down the middle and, if they're let continue, they'll tear that party to shreds.
At this stage it doesn't seem likely they can put Humpty Dumpty together again.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018

That's an improvement??

Actually I think Trump will be the candidate again if he wants it. If he puts his name into the nomination race I cannot see him being stopped, regardless of the likely consequences for the party. With the GOP and their voters you are not talking logic or sanity - the majority of them took leave of both a long time ago.

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
That's an improvement??

Actually I think Trump will be the candidate again if he wants it. If he puts his name into the nomination race I cannot see him being stopped, regardless of the likely consequences for the party. With the GOP and their voters you are not talking logic or sanity - the majority of them took leave of both a long time ago.
You’ll point to where I said that either one would be an improvement, there love.

I’ve noticed that, when it comes to US politics, a lot of posters like to put words in people’s mouths, or read things that weren’t written. Odd, that.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
You’ll point to where I said that either one would be an improvement, there love.

I’ve noticed that, when it comes to US politics, a lot of posters like to put words in people’s mouths, or read things that weren’t written. Odd, that.
It was my comment (with question marks), not yours. My point is that even if Trump is not the candidate (though I suspect he will be if he actually wants it), Trumpism has completely taken over the GOP and it matters not a jot whether the candidate is Trump Snr or Jnr, de Santis, Abbott or even Little Hands Rubio. This is a party whose Congress reps can make animated videos of a political opponent being shot, or refer to another as 'Jihad squad...only safe in a lift without her backpack' without any fear of retribution from the party leadership or mainstream.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
It was my comment (with question marks), not yours. My point is that even if Trump is not the candidate (though I suspect he will be if he actually wants it), Trumpism has completely taken over the GOP and it matters not a jot whether the candidate is Trump Snr or Jnr, de Santis, Abbott or even Little Hands Rubio. This is a party whose Congress reps can make animated videos of a political opponent being shot, or refer to another as 'Jihad squad...only safe in a lift without her backpack' without any fear of retribution from the party leadership or mainstream.
Retribution? They applaud them for it.

Ó Gabhainn

Mar 12, 2019
Very good, but also very sad, because so many people are unaware how much they owe to their fellow citizens for looking out for others besides themselves.
For some reason or other, there's a video on the web somewhere of police interrogating one of the Trump rioters, and the claims made by this kid definitely suggest a large lack of awareness. Sounds like he believed he was doing the right thing.

Nov 27, 2018
Here's a good thread on the stupidity of the American Right.

Very good. That said, being on this side of the Atlantic, I'd feel that the whole "Her bacon is safe to eat, her health care is wonderful, her air is exceptionally pure" is, by a European perspective, not utterly convincing.

Top Bottom