• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Fracturing of British Politics

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Yesterday was a terrible day for the prime minister, easily the worst of his premiership and coming at the end of a terrible fortnight.

In 1988 as a student at Oxford, Boris Johnson penned an essay for a book (The Oxford Myth) edited by his sister Rachel. In it he advised aspiring politicians to assemble “a disciplined and deluded collection of stooges” to help achieve success.

Yesterday, marked the beginning of the end of the Conservative Party being his own personal collection of deluded stooges. For the time being, the Tories may still be disciplined stooges but they have lost their delusions about Johnson. They appear to have grown tired of the air of sleaze, incompetence and duplicity constantly engulfing the prime minister.

Rumblings of discontent, of the kind that usually precede a collapse of the foundations that keep prime ministers upright in the teeth of political headwinds, can now be heard openly around Westminster.

To many who warned the party in 2019 that it would be a grave error to elect Johnson as party leader it must have seemed like an ‘I told you so’ moment.

To return to Johnson’s 1988 student essay, he also wrote that: “The tragedy of the stooge is that … he wants so much to believe that his relationship with the candidate is special that he shuts out the truth. The terrible art of the candidate is to coddle the self-deception of the stooge.”

Yesterday that spell was broken. The prime minister will never again be capable of coddling the party’s self deception.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
We have, they say, a way with words. I think this is true to a degree.

One of those words - a good one imo - is 'gobshite'.

I'm not a conspiracy type - but you have to wonder how this gobshite is in power (still in power) in the UK - is there someone more intelligent (a low bar, admittedly) pulling the strings (?)

Nov 27, 2018

I'm not a conspiracy type - but you have to wonder how this gobshite is in power (still in power) in the UK - is there someone more intelligent (a low bar, admittedly) pulling the strings (?)

What is his problem with wearing a mask? Even if he doesn't personally believe they're effective, he knows he will be photographed constantly when in public, and he knows what official government recommendations are (being the government and having repeatedly state that advice personally). So it's not just stubbornness, it's incompetence.

About as embarrassing as falling asleep during international summits... which he also does regularly. I'm surprised he hasn't yet been caught peeing his trousers.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Is this what long Covid looks like?

Ó Gabhainn

Mar 12, 2019
Is this what long Covid looks like?

Maybe he wants out? There's one of the numbskulls up here laughing at that while I type it...

Again, PR's question: how is he still in power? He's an idiot. He's an absolute idiot.

Luckily I think the desire for idiots as leaders is past its peak, hopefully this century at least.

mac tíre

Nov 28, 2018
Contae An Dúin
They’re introducing a bill this week to privatise a lot of the NHS. This is a great way to distract from that.
Indeed and there are lots of other issues putting them under pressure (even members from within their own party) but stuff like this too short term a distraction to be of any real use for the Tory party. And some of those are bound to be mortified, distraction or not - especially given the last few weeks they've had.

Or maybe Johnson has had enough and will do increasingly mad things until he is replaced. I still reckon he fell out of a gaff as dawn broke.

MOTS

Dec 24, 2019

The ERG gang who have hijacked the British Tory Brexit Party put him in to do their bidding - and he is only kept there as long as they want him there - and not a moment longer.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The ERG gang who have hijacked the British Tory Brexit Party put him in to do their bidding - and he is only kept there as long as they want him there - and not a moment longer.
I'm wondering if there are any sensible Tories left in positions of power within the party.

MOTS

Dec 24, 2019
I'm wondering if there are any sensible Tories left in positions of power within the party.
Doesn't appear to be any - the ERG has placed their marionettes in position.

Britain is not in a good place - the party in power with an 80-seat parliamentary majority on the back of less than 44% of the electoral vote - and that party in turn hijacked by a cabal of Right-wing English Nationalists who have very wealthy and very powerful backers.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
I can't let this go unposted...

GUBU

I'm stuck between wondering whether it was a stroke of genius diversionary tactic to help the NHS Bill get through without media scrutiny or whether it was Boris entertaining himself at the expense of others.

It could have been both. It's bad when the bumbling Clown Act has seemingly lost him his mega-cheerleader Laura Kuenssberg. Had she been watching a different Boris until recently?

If I was sir Jeffrey and Co I'd be pretty worried about what a Tory hatchet job on the NHS would do to NI's chances of staying in the Union. Ideologically would they be all for it?

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Boris Johnson suffered a Tory rebellion over cruel plans which mean many of England's poorest pensioners pay more for social care.

MPs voted the "con" reform by 272 votes to 246 - a majority of just 26 - in a move that will leave poorer homeowners in the North worse off.

Shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth said: “If you live in a £1m house, perhaps in the home counties, 90% of your assets will be protected if you need social care.

"But if you live in a £80,000 terraced house in Hartlepool or Mansfield or Wigan, for example, you lose nearly everything.

“That is not fair. That is not levelling up. That’s daylight robbery.”

But he has, in fairness, stood by his fellow invertebrates:

Under the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill, lobsters, crabs, octopuses, crayfish, squid and cuttlefish will be recognised as sentient beings.

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021

Ó Gabhainn

Mar 12, 2019
This is a particularly nasty turn of events.

The othering of those poor migrants by the Home Secretary and her cohorts has taken hold.
Katie Hopkins' comments on "cockroaches" and "gun ships" can't be forgotten either.

Top Bottom