• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Irish film industry / creative thread

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I was reading today that UK has got the "contract" for the filming of the new LORD OF THE RINGS series from AMAZON. Even back as far as early 2000s when Jackson did the LOTR movies in New Zealand I always wonder did we ever miss a trick back then with that? Did we try for those at the time? Did we try for this new Amazon LOTR series?

As far as i know we are getting a piece of the very lucrative Streamer films and series business, there is a studio in Limerick making good inroads in that regard .. after that I am unsure are we doing as much as we could to be a base for this kind of big money business?

Ever since and before LOTR I always thought Ireland had great potential in this whole FANTASY type genre. We are great story tellers and song writers. We have a deep history of this embedded in our landscape. Why havent we seen a blockbuster LOTR type thing for Irish Mythology? Surely its a no brainer with such a potential huge US Irish ancestry audience? And we definitely have the landscape plus the castles and houses etc.

Closest to it maybe Game of Thrones filmed up North or VIKINGS filmed in the Wicklow mountains around Guinness lake

I also note we do have an incredible animation pedigree via CARTOON SALOON in Kilkenny - https://www.cartoonsaloon.ie - which has made inroads to this Irish mythology genre.

And another thing .. actor wise male and female we have some amazing world renowned talent that could take this on here. I think Fassbender was looking at this whole Irish Mythology thing a s a movie, maybe the pandemic side railed this?

Then we have local productions involving RTE .. however I find these tiresome and rather grim, very much the same topic of drugs, gangs, family strife. Seems they are stuck in this loop.

So .. in general .. what say ye of the Irsh film industry? Lots of potential yet untapped??

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
I’m still waiting on the Rúraíocht to be brought to the screen (big or small). There have been various projects in development for what seems like decades at this stage, with many heavyweights attached.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I’m still waiting on the Rúraíocht to be brought to the screen (big or small). There have been various projects in development for what seems like decades at this stage, with many heavyweights attached.
Yip .. thats the one Fassbender has been involved in for a good few years now.Lots of talk on and off but no progress as of yet

Having conquered blockbusters with X-Men: First Class and the arthouse with his outstanding turn in Shame, Michael Fassbender is preparing to take on the epic with the lead role in an adaptation of the Red Branch Cycle, one of the great bodies of Irish heroic mythology. Fassbender, who is developing the project (tentatively titled Irish Myths) with writer Ronan Bennett, is lining up the role of Cú Chulainn – Cuhullin or Cuchulain in English – a warrior roughly analogous to that of Achilles from Greek mythology.

Its a no brainer and I am fascinated as to why no one has done this yet.

I suppose a remote close event to this was Star Wars being based in Kerry on the Blaskets. Another amazing scene for Irish Mythology if ever it happens

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Hasn’t been done because of money. It’ll take a GoT or LOTR type of budget, and it would also need to be done as some sort of trilogy or HBO series.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Hasn’t been done because of money. It’ll take a GoT or LOTR type of budget, and it would also need to be done as some sort of trilogy or HBO series.
Yeah but you would imagine it could now be financed by the streamers - Netflix, Amazon .. they do have the deep pockets to give you that type of production. I think once done it would place Ireland in a very good position as a location for this kind of films + others. We need an epic that does not involve ganglands, drugs, 1916 etc. Thats all been done and feels stereotyped.

I havent seen Black 47 yet .. based in the Famine in Ireland, a touchy subject it seems as it has never been used as a period for a film to be set in

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Netflix or Amazon Prime could finance a successful coup in Sweden.

Thing is, they like to make really big money. The likes of Tiger King or Squid Game cost almost nothing to make, yet returns hundreds of millions to the bottom line.

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
I was reading today that UK has got the "contract" for the filming of the new LORD OF THE RINGS series from AMAZON. Even back as far as early 2000s when Jackson did the LOTR movies in New Zealand I always wonder did we ever miss a trick back then with that? Did we try for those at the time? Did we try for this new Amazon LOTR series?

As far as i know we are getting a piece of the very lucrative Streamer films and series business, there is a studio in Limerick making good inroads in that regard .. after that I am unsure are we doing as much as we could to be a base for this kind of big money business?

Ever since and before LOTR I always thought Ireland had great potential in this whole FANTASY type genre. We are great story tellers and song writers. We have a deep history of this embedded in our landscape. Why havent we seen a blockbuster LOTR type thing for Irish Mythology? Surely its a no brainer with such a potential huge US Irish ancestry audience? And we definitely have the landscape plus the castles and houses etc.

Closest to it maybe Game of Thrones filmed up North or VIKINGS filmed in the Wicklow mountains around Guinness lake

I also note we do have an incredible animation pedigree via CARTOON SALOON in Kilkenny - https://www.cartoonsaloon.ie - which has made inroads to this Irish mythology genre.

And another thing .. actor wise male and female we have some amazing world renowned talent that could take this on here. I think Fassbender was looking at this whole Irish Mythology thing a s a movie, maybe the pandemic side railed this?

Then we have local productions involving RTE .. however I find these tiresome and rather grim, very much the same topic of drugs, gangs, family strife. Seems they are stuck in this loop.

So .. in general .. what say ye of the Irsh film industry? Lots of potential yet untapped??
I’ve often wondered about that, myself. There is definitely a television series in the Fianna tales. Cúchulainn also had an adventurous life prior to the Tain business. Some irish Myths would make a good sort of Twilight Zone series. And I am sure there are many more possibilities.

Top Bottom