• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Middle East thread .. ( At mo - AFGHANISTAN - Taliban watch )

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Things looking ominous .. Seems ISIS-k and others want a few pot shots pre the US etc leaving

Hopefully nothing happens to either the civilians or the troops ... especially as they are leaving
Why don’t these sources put their name to the story?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
So announced this morning:

36 HOURS LEFT TO GET OUT OF KABUL via Airlift ( US gov / military )

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
13 dead .. 2 explosions at different places. Children amongst the dead. Also Taliban and US service people injured.

2 suicide bombers, most likely ISIS-K

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
13 dead .. 2 explosions at different places. Children amongst the dead. Also Taliban and US service people injured.

2 suicide bombers, most likely ISIS-K

Number has gone up .. its now 25 DEAD inc 4 US troops ( + 3 injured )

I wonder could this change things now that there are 4 US marines dead??

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Interesting .. the top general on the ground in Kabul was on for the pentagon briefing earlier AFTER the suicide bombs. Then on CNN another retired General who did time in Iraq AND experienced many vest suicide attacks himself picked up something the Kabul general eluded too. He said they are looking as to the sex of the people who committed these suicide attacks because apparently a thing is a FEMALE suicide bomber most likely will get further into an area than a male and particularly in Afghanistan ( and other muslim countries ) another man will not touch another's woman so the outer Taliban checkpoints may have let potential female suicide bombers through without checking.

Ó Gabhainn

Mar 12, 2019
Interesting .. the top general on the ground in Kabul was on for the pentagon briefing earlier AFTER the suicide bombs. Then on CNN another retired General who did time in Iraq AND experienced many vest suicide attacks himself picked up something the Kabul general eluded too. He said they are looking as to the sex of the people who committed these suicide attacks because apparently a thing is a FEMALE suicide bomber most likely will get further into an area than a male and particularly in Afghanistan ( and other muslim countries ) another man will not touch another's woman so the outer Taliban checkpoints may have let potential female suicide bombers through without checking.
"Give us your women..."

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
And the parting gift to the Taliban

I think this is probably a more realistic assessment ......i doubt the Yanks ( as bad as they are sometimes ) left the keys in the ignition of a Blackhawk for the Taliban.....

Also goods points made about the the Taliban not having the infrastructure to maintain or fuel something like a Humvee or a MRAP....

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

I think this is probably a more realistic assessment ......i doubt the Yanks ( as bad as they are sometimes ) left the keys in the ignition of a Blackhawk for the Taliban.....

Also goods points made about the the Taliban not having the infrastructure to maintain or fuel something like a Humvee or a MRAP....
It would appear that article is more focused on equipment control destroyed/disabled in and around the airport.

That infograph chart above is about equipment left behind .. I think untouched .. across Afghanistan. Alot of it originally in the hands of the now defunct Afghan army and consequently handed over to or seized by the taliban. Thats equipment the US army couldnt destroy because they didnt have it.

But great points re taliban maintaining and getting parts.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
It would appear that article is more focused on equipment control destroyed/disabled in and around the airport.

That infograph chart above is about equipment left behind .. I think untouched .. across Afghanistan. Alot of it originally in the hands of the now defunct Afghan army and consequently handed over to or seized by the taliban. Thats equipment the US army couldnt destroy because they didnt have it.

But great points re taliban maintaining and getting parts.

Some of it was also flown out to neighbouring countries according to reports by Afghan forces fleeing Taliban reprisals ....I wonder how much of it made it to the Panjshir Valley with any stragglers from the Afghan army.....sounds like they will need all the help they can get.....

Leinsterview

Mar 11, 2019
It all begs an obvious question:
If the Nazis had simply gone underground in 1945 and fought a sustained guerilla war year after year after year...?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
On Al Jazeera now.

Official statements from Taliban. Defeat of the last hold out in Panjshir valley north of kabul.

Other outlets mentioning with help from pakistan drones

Top Bottom