• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The random story thread

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018

How does this happen?
Is it that there is too much complacency with the use of fire arms?
Not on a film set would i imagine with people whose sole job is to make sure this stuff is safe ...

What I'd say as an aside and not remarking on this film or incident specifically is too much out out of Hollywood these days seems to be extremely violent films with plots we have seen before in 50 other films where the sole purpose seems to be the film is an an advertisement for online video games for aftermarket sales......

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019

How does this happen?
The bile on Twitter is something else. Even this tragedy is being politicised.

Nov 27, 2018

How does this happen?
I'd imagine Baldwin's career is over. It's sounds very much like a horrible accident, but I can't imagine its feasible to stay in the public eye and have this both on your conscience and also to know it's a question that can always come up in a media interview.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

How does this happen?
It's not the first time this has happened on a movie set. Sometimes live bullets get mixed up with the blanks.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
The bile on Twitter is something else. Even this tragedy is being politicised.
Balwin took the piss out of Trump on SNL for years ..

He also took a court case I think over one of Trumps golf courses polluting the local water table with dye it used on its putting greens.....

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Balwin took the piss out of Trump on SNL for years ..

He also took a court case I think over one of Trumps golf courses polluting the local water table with dye it used on its putting greens.....
He’s anti gun too afaik and that sends the loonies over the top. That poor woman, it’s such a tragedy.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
So purchased a mint Catch bar today - love Catch bars and never knew there was a mint one.

Very surprised to see they are manufactured in Trinidad and Tobago of all places.

They originate in Tallagh.

Outlander

Feb 15, 2019
Away
So purchased a mint Catch bar today - love Catch bars and never knew there was a mint one.

Very surprised to see they are manufactured in Trinidad and Tobago of all places.

They originate in Tallagh.
Spent some time in T&T. Wonderful place. Looking to buy some good rum at duty free on the way out - asked the staff for recommendations. Best bottle was about $10. It wasn't great.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel

How does this happen?
With a few days hindsight now but I was watching Trevor Noah's take on this. The lady in charge of controlling the props the gun is only 24 years young and by her own admission, said she didn't know the difference between blanks and live rounds. Also reported that the production team wanted to skimp on gun safety paperwork to keep costs down..

Nov 29, 2018
With a few days hindsight now but I was watching Trevor Noah's take on this. The lady in charge of controlling the props the gun is only 24 years young and by her own admission, said she didn't know the difference between blanks and live rounds. Also reported that the production team wanted to skimp on gun safety paperwork to keep costs down..

Why the hell would they have live rounds on a film set?

Remember being told years ago how strict the rules were here for both theatre and film sets. Had to have a qualified armourer on site at all times. The person who told me this thought it was over the top as he put it "where the fuck would we get live ammo".

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Why the hell would they have live rounds on a film set?

Remember being told years ago how strict the rules were here for both theatre and film sets. Had to have a qualified armourer on site at all times. The person who told me this thought it was over the top as he put it "where the fuck would we get live ammo".
There was a former stage actor on liveline who was shot on stage in Waterford. It was wadding from a blank that did the damage.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
For those interested in events in Ireland 100 years ago, the following twitter account is worth following. @131Weeks did a previous series on the War of Independence. This one covers the Truce period and Treaty negotiations with the British. I think there will be a subsequent one to cover the Civil War.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
The abyss of Kildare to get her own bank holiday.

A Public Holiday to spend time hiding indoors from the dark and cold of February and it's just 4 weeks after the 2 weeks of Christmas and the New Year. There's a touch of St Patrick's Day about the date of this proposed holiday. As in St Patrick's day would be multiple times more enjoyable if it took place at a warmer time of the year

Cal me a grouch but I think that this Holiday will be a flop...

T. Leaf

Nov 28, 2018
A Public Holiday to spend time hiding indoors from the dark and cold of February and it's just 4 weeks after the 2 weeks of Christmas and the New Year. There's a touch of St Patrick's Day about the date of this proposed holiday. As in St Patrick's day would be multiple times more enjoyable if it took place at a warmer time of the year

Hardly a flop. Who wouldn't enjoy a paid holiday?

Nov 27, 2018

If it's meant to be some kind of festival, then it'll be a flop. It it means a day in February where you don't have to crawl out from under the duvet, then it'll be a win.

Which is the problem with Patrick"s Day - not that it's a public holiday in March but that it's meant to be an outdoor holiday in March. If you want parades and street parties, move it to the summer. If you want to stay indoors, keep it where it is.

Having spent a fair bit of my life being self-employed/freelancer etc, though, public holidays are always a mixed blessing.

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
If it's meant to be some kind of festival, then it'll be a flop. It it means a day in February where you don't have to crawl out from under the duvet, then it'll be a win.

Which is the problem with Patrick"s Day - not that it's a public holiday in March but that it's meant to be an outdoor holiday in March. If you want parades and street parties, move it to the summer. If you want to stay indoors, keep it where it is.

Having spent a fair bit of my life being self-employed/freelancer etc, though, public holidays are always a mixed blessing.
In a United Ireland, I could see the 12th of July added as Independence Day.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Nov 27, 2018
Another one of these. Academic in Canada having her ethnicity / roots called into question:

I don’t mean this to be dogwhistleblowing post, hence I’m putting it in this thread, but I just don’t really understand these stories, because I’d believe that an academic is in the position that they are in purely because of their academic work; researching, publishing and teaching. Their roots or background should be completely irrelevant, and it shouldn’t have any bearing, positive or negative, as their standing as an academic.

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Another one of these. Academic in Canada having her ethnicity / roots called into question:

I don’t mean this to be dogwhistleblowing post, hence I’m putting it in this thread, but I just don’t really understand these stories, because I’d believe that an academic is in the position that they are in purely because of their academic work; researching, publishing and teaching. Their roots or background should be completely irrelevant, and it shouldn’t have any bearing, positive or negative, as their standing as an academic.
To be fair this particular academic appears to have been lying about their heritage to further their career. And right now, the plight of the Indigenous peoples of Canada is a very hot button issue.

Nov 27, 2018
To be fair this particular academic appears to have been lying about their heritage to further their career. And right now, the plight of the Indigenous peoples of Canada is a very hot button issue.
Ue, that I get, but I don’t get that of the argument either - if she’s not academically we alidied to be in the post, she shouldn’t be in it. She shouldn’t have been able to leverage her (possibly bogus) heritage to further her academic career in the first place.

I mean, if you’re involved in cancer research, it shouldn’t have to be a requirement to have to have had cancer. Proof that you know your discipline should be the only thing it’s based on.

Last edited:

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Ue, that I get, but I don’t get that of the argument either - if she’s not academically we alidied to be in the post, she shouldn’t be in it. She shouldn’t have been able to leverage her (possibly bogus) heritage to further her academic career in the first place.

I mean, if you’re involved in cancer research, it shouldn’t have to be a requirement to have to have had cancer. Proof that you know your discipline should be the only thing it’s based on.
If the role is strictly based in science, then, sure.

But…this one apparently is solely science based, since there is the Indigenous people’s angle.

Maybe the most telling paragraphs from your article which explain it are the last few:

“Among those quoted by CBC was Janet Smylie, a health academic of Métis heritage at the University of Toronto, who wrote a chapter in a 2017 book on Indigenous parenting edited by Bourassa.

Smylie told the broadcaster she had done her own research into Bourassa’s ancestry. “It makes you feel a bit sick,” she said. “To have an impostor who is speaking on behalf of Métis and Indigenous people to the country about literally what it means to be Métis … that’s very disturbing and upsetting and harmful.”

The university and the health agency initially supported Bourassa, though on Monday the university issued a statement saying it had “serious concerns with the additional information revealed in Dr Bourassa’s responses to the media.””

The person was holding themselves out there as an expert on health because of their qualifications, but as an expert in Indigenous peoples’ health because they, themselves, are indigenous.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
No one intervened (or even cared) it seems:-

I suppose it's not quite on the scale of the rape that apparently took place recently on a New York train in plain sight of passengers, but still.....

Nov 27, 2018
...The person was holding themselves out there as an expert on health because of their qualifications, but as an expert in Indigenous peoples’ health because they, themselves, are indigenous.
But being "indigenous" doesn't grant any academic qualification or automatic right to be regarded as a medical expert on health issues with regards that same "indigenous culture". It's completely spurious claim. Long-term immersion in a culture (and I mean axtualimmersion, simply identifying with a culture) would give you a better perspective, but that perspective still does not carry more weight or even the same weight as proven academic credentials. I am quote sure there are economists out the there the world that have a greater understanding and knowledge of the Irish economy, even if they had never set foot in Ireland, than a random head-the-ball picked off an Irish street.

If I had a Lambo, and, when I had to bring to for one of it's many very expensive services, and I had a choice of bringing to an Italian mechanic whose main claim to be an expert on Italian supercars is that he/she is Italian, or a certified Lambo mechanic who didn't have any Italian parents or grandparents, I'd go to the latter.

Or, as the lat great Antony Bordain pointed out, most of the best French cooks in the USA come from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Because they worked their way up from the crappiest jobs in French restaurants.

Genes MIGHT give you a biological advantage in terms of certain talents, but genes definitely do not give you an advantage in terms of academic knowledge.

Last edited:

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Didn't know where to put this. Please remove if inappropriate. I'm very unwell this week and this has made me cry. How could they do this?....

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
But being "indigenous" doesn't grant any academic qualification or automatic right to be regarded as a medical expert on health issues with regards that same "indigenous culture". It's completely spurious claim. Long-term immersion in a culture (and I mean axtualimmersion, simply identifying with a culture) would give you a better perspective, but that perspective still does not carry more weight or even the same weight as proven academic credentials. I am quote sure there are economists out the there the world that have a greater understanding and knowledge of the Irish economy, even if they had never set foot in Ireland, than a random head-the-ball picked off an Irish street.

If I had a Lambo, and, when I had to bring to for one of it's many very expensive services, and I had a choice of bringing to an Italian mechanic whose main claim to be an expert on Italian supercars is that he/she is Italian, or a certified Lambo mechanic who didn't have any Italian parents or grandparents, I'd go to the latter.

Or, as the lat great Antony Bordain pointed out, most of the best French cooks in the USA come from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Because they worked their way up from the crappiest jobs in French restaurants.

Genes MIGHT give you a biological advantage in terms of certain talents, but genes definitely do not give you an advantage in terms of academic knowledge.
I know nothing about this apart from the Guardian article you cited. It seems to me that if Carrie Bourassa lied about her ancestry in an aspect that was germaine to her professional role, then her professional credibility is undermined, regardless of her academic qualifications.

She says she identifies as Métis and was adopted by them. That is entirely fine by me. If she has claimed Métis ancestry without explaining that context, then I think she's a chancer.

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Didn't know where to put this. Please remove if inappropriate. I'm very unwell this week and this has made me cry. How could they do this?....

It was a time where a gator skin was worth more than the life of a little black baby. It was horrible. Bob Geldof and Midge Ure had to remind us that it was still horrible 80 years later.

Humans, man…not exactly filled with humanity, are we.

Nov 27, 2018
I know nothing about this apart from the Guardian article you cited. It seems to me that if Carrie Bourassa lied about her ancestry in an aspect that was germaine to her professional role, then her professional credibility is undermined, regardless of her academic qualifications.

She says she identifies as Métis and was adopted by them. That is entirely fine by me. If she has claimed Métis ancestry without explaining that context, then I think she's a chancer.
I just feel like there is a sense of "going down the rabbit hole" with these type of situations. For me, true equally comes when issues of gender, race, ethnicity etc. etc, are simply irrelevant. I'm not casting aspersions about the legitimacy of her ethnic identity, I feel it s a wrong turn for personal ethnic identity to be relevant to her professional credentials. Her professional reputation should be based solely on her professional output, and her ethnic identity should not be a factor in that, even if it was what was a motivation to move into that field in the first place. Again an analogy. If a person's father is a policeman, and that person, because of growing up in a "police family" environment, chose to join the police, then their identity was the motivation to join the force, but should not have any bearing, positive or negative, on their career advancement, which should be based on merit alone.

Top Bottom