• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The random story thread

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Nasa will smash a spacecraft into an asteroid to knock it off course https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/QZMcvs Sent via @updayUK

What are they not telling us?

I am trying to start a conspiracy here any help will be appreciated.
That the asteroid is made from cobalt, and Hunter has already sold it to the Chinese for shares in Huawei’s 5g network infrastructure.
Put that out on Twitter and put the kettle on.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Some of these places are reminiscent of Victorian baby farms - but the Public , while saying something must be done, would be outraged if taxes were increased to improve standards. Same goes for public services

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Don't people so desperately want their mundane reality not to be all there is, that are willing to believe even the most bizarre fantasy?

Last edited:

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Nov 27, 2018

F**king idiot.

There's an interesting thing here. Essentially, sci-fi movies and TV worked under a misconception (until the 1990s) that the audience was more or less exclusively teenage boys with low social skills. It turns out (through research done by the Sci-Fi channel and especially research done on the audience of Star Trek TNG) that this was completely wrong, and girls (and women) were just as geeky when it came to being sci-fi fans. So, guess what, sci-fi started representing it's actual audience more accurately. It was the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica (Sci0-Fi channel again) that deliberated tailored the characters to the audience sci-fi had: more women, more non-white characters. It worked. There're lots of female characters, gay characters and non-white characters in sci-fi because that's hose in the audience.

Incels are just under-achieving hormonal man-babies. Ultimately, if you're dealing with relationships with extraterrestrial or multidimensional beings, you're way beyond the line of being bothered about ethnicity, gender or sexual preference of the human characters.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

Cruimh

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Frankenburgers ahoy?
While I can see potential benefits, I don't trust humanity with the technology either applied to animals or humans. I'm unconvinced about the morality .

And for all the talk about welfare, until the public are prepared to pay more for their food I suspect Welfare will mainly be window dressing

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Frankenburgers ahoy?
Science Fiction loves this area

Pigoon: A transgenic pig, bred to grow replacement organs for humans.

In this near-future Earth, biotech companies are busily trying to meet the need for organ replacements.

Jimmy's father worked for OrganInc Farms. He was a genographer, one of the best in the field. He'd done some of the key studies on mapping the proteonome when he was still a post-grad, and then he'd helped engineer the Methuselah Mouse project, as part of Operation Immortality.

After that, at OrganInc Farms, he'd been one of the foremost architects of the pigoon project, along with a team of transplant experts and the microbiologists who were splicing against infections. Pigoon was only a nickname: the official name was sus multiorganifer. But pigoon is what everyone said... The goal of the pigoon project was to grow an assortment of foolproof human tissue organs in a transgenic knockout pig host - organs that would transplant smoothly and avoid rejection, but would also be able to fend off attacks by opportunistic microbes and viruses, of which there were more strains every year.

A rapid-maturity gene was spliced in so the pigoon kidneys and livers and hearts would be ready sooner, and now they were perfecting a pigoon that could grow five or six kidneys at a time.

Top Bottom