• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The UK, a failed state?

• Thread starter Deleted member 146
  • Start date
  • Replies 249
  • Views 5K

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Interesting, a couple of years ago a friend was looking to move to Dublin from Belfast and wanted some advice on where to live. Initially just to rent a room in the city centre - there was a room in the flat which I used to own and it was renting out a month what I used to pay for the mortgage on the whole flat when I owned it back in 2009. He stayed in Belfast.
I paid the equivalent of my mortgage for the guts of ten years to rent a room in a shared house in Ashbourne for a few years and Kildare for five years. Paying more than my mortgage to live twenty minutes closer to work in Dublin just rankled with me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 146

I paid the equivalent of my mortgage for the guts of ten years to rent a room in a shared house in Kildare for five years. Paying more than my mortgage to live twenty minutes closer to work in Dublin just rankled with me.
Yeah but you got to live in Kildare for 10 years and that’s a blessing you can’t put a price in.

Unless you were living in Celbridge. Paying to live there just encourages it!

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Caught a rerun of Panorama last night titled 'Cashing in on Covid '....

A number of people in financial circles in the UK with political connections seemed to have gotten involved in the procurement of PPE with government officials able to hide behind the temporary relaxation of usual tendering processes and a secret fast tracking process that regular PPE suppliers didn't seem to know about .....not surprising really with the ease money was shelled out with little background checks if you were in the loop.....12.5 Billion they reckon they have spent so far ...

We have had similar allegations in this state ......hopefully some in our media who carry out these articles finds it in themselves to run a similar investigation here ......there is something very distasteful and wrong about this sort or corruption when so many are struggling ......

Zen

Dec 5, 2020

A number of people in financial circles in the UK with political connections seemed to have gotten involved in the procurement of PPE with government officials able to hide behind the temporary relaxation of usual tendering processes and a secret fast tracking process that regular PPE suppliers didn't seem to know about .....not surprising really with the ease money was shelled out with little background checks if you were in the loop.....12.5 Billion they reckon they have spent so far ...

We have had similar allegations in this state ......hopefully some in our media who carry out these articles finds it in themselves to run a similar investigation here ......there is something very distasteful and wrong about this sort or corruption when so many are struggling ......
Including a certain Mr Cameron, lobbying the finance minister. Making out like bandits. And if you complain, you're labelled a remoanet and that's the cue for the faithful to pile on.

D

Deleted member 146

And yet support for the Tories remains stable. The mind boggles.

MOTS

Dec 24, 2019
Brexit is perfect for the British Tory party :

Engineer any old poxy barney with the EU (over 1,200 pages of WA to choose from...) and then :

(i) "Win" -> brave Britain defeats dastardly EU whilst vindicating wonderful Brexit decision.

(ii) "Lose " -> dastardly EU show gross disrespect for Britain vindicating wonderful Brexit decision.

Perfect Tory party electoral one-arm Bandit.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
There was a time the Brits would lock up a politician over lying in front of a beak about who was driving to avoid penalty points which many here would look on at with a level of envy considering what some of our own have gotten away with over the years in similar and other circumstances...

Unaccountable politicians as outlined in the Panorama programme and an disinterested public happy to continue to support them is a recipe for disaster....

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
There's a strong pro-Brexits, Britannia waives the rules cohort in the electorate that's not going anywhere else but Tory for the foreseeable.

D

Deleted member 146

There's a strong pro-Brexits, Britannia waives the rules cohort in the electorate that's not going anywhere else but Tory for the foreseeable.
Undoubtedly so, but I would have thought the impact of their complete cockup on COVID PPE procurement and Track and Trace, literally tens of billions funneled away to pals, would have had some reflection on the polls, but...

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Undoubtedly so, but I would have thought the impact of their complete cockup on COVID PPE procurement and Track and Trace, literally tens of billions funneled away to pals, would have had some reflection on the polls, but...
everyone's hoping for a slice of the action?

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
Ah but, they now have 2 World Wars, 1 World Cup and a European Vaccination Championship to keep them happy.

That EVC win will be with us for eternity...

Apr 24, 2020
It is really quite something that the wholesale kleptocracy of Britain under Boris has not ruffled the "subjects"....

D

Deleted member 146

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018

It's not a good look is it.
Good to see they have politicians who are getting the priorites right that's been so successful on this Island over the years......:rolleyes:

"Needs more flegs '....all that's missing from that scene is Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken for the comedy show they have become...........

Statsman

Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home

Clanrickard

Jan 30, 2019
To be fair, they do have a clown leading them.

It's not much, I know, but it's a start.
I am always amazed at the ability of some people to continue to write off Boris. In an overwhelmingly Labour city he was twice mayor. He is known by his first name universally, always a good sing. And he has thrashed the Labour party with the largest net seat gain since 1979. He is many things but he is no clown. He is one of those politicians that the chattering classes love to lampoon and underestimate.

Zen

Dec 5, 2020
I am always amazed at the ability of some people to continue to write off Boris. In an overwhelmingly Labour city he was twice mayor. He is known by his first name universally, always a good sing. And he has thrashed the Labour party with the largest net seat gain since 1979. He is many things but he is no clown. He is one of those politicians that the chattering classes love to lampoon and underestimate.
He's not in power all that long, notwithstanding the importance of matters he had a hand in before, and once in power. He has seen the popularity of proud to be British and all the flows from it, criticism deflected by a bunker mentality. So far, a little like our Teflon Taoiseach of yesteryear, nothing sticks to him, all can and has been brushed off on others, internally and externally, and of course that loveable rogue thing, where lower standards apply. It won't last of course but for now the Teflon is impenetrable.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
He’s far from a clown. He’s a dangerous bastard.

Clanrickard

Jan 30, 2019
He’s far from a clown. He’s a dangerous bastard.
How so? I'd fear a Corbyn premiership far more.

He's not in power all that long, notwithstanding the importance of matters he had a hand in before, and once in power. He has seen the popularity of proud to be British and all the flows from it, criticism deflected by a bunker mentality. So far, a little like our Teflon Taoiseach of yesteryear, nothing sticks to him, all can and has been brushed off on others, internally and externally, and of course that loveable rogue thing, where lower standards apply. It won't last of course but for now the Teflon is impenetrable.
He's been in the public eye for years. Nothing sticks because frankly there has not been anything sufficient to take him down in the eyes of the British electorate.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019

He's been in the public eye for years. Nothing sticks because frankly there has not been anything sufficient to take him down in the eyes of the British electorate.
I’m sure you would considering Thatcher is a big hero of yours.

MOTS

Dec 24, 2019

Yeah, considering the fact that you claim that mispronunciation of a name is quote "anti-Semitic " then your fears are soooooo far out there up with your opinions.

Top Bottom