• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The UK, a failed state?

• Thread starter Deleted member 146
  • Start date
  • Replies 249
  • Views 5K

Clanrickard

Jan 30, 2019
You’d know all about that wouldn’t you!
Oh ffs! Either discuss or feck off and take Bonkers with you. I asked him why hew sees Boris as dangerous and he can't answer. If either of you can't be bothered to fins out what makes him popular and look at your own prejudices I can't help you. He's here till 2023 I believe. How will ye survive?

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Oh ffs! Either discuss or feck off and take Bonkers with you. I asked him why hew sees Boris as dangerous and he can't answer. If either of you can't be bothered to fins out what makes him popular and look at your own prejudices I can't help you. He's here till 2023 I believe. How will ye survive?
Increasing nuclear weapons should be a concern for any sane person. He’s also breaking international agreements and is out to damage our country. I won’t mention the corruption.

D

Deleted member 146

Apr 24, 2020
They are betraying their insecurity.
But it is an effective trope. Only the US and bits of NI do this*.

Tribal scent marking and utterly chills any dissent.

*Oh, and NAZIS, sorry, but that's about it.

Always a sign that your regime is a sh1t one.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Never understood the flag thing.
It's a type of über patriotism. Typically disguising either insecurity or something altogether more sinister. "Everything we're doing is for the benefit of the British People" even if that everything is cleaning out the coffers.
It's never pretty when the wheels fall off.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Isn't a plurality when you have the most votes out of all the groups rather than a majority of the votes?
Weeeeeeellllllll.....

That depends on who you ask...

In the UK it means the number of votes obtained that is greater than any other option which isn't the case with UK Governments due to FPTP skewing the results.

Clanrickard

Jan 30, 2019
Increasing nuclear weapons should be a concern for any sane person. He’s also breaking international agreements and is out to damage our country. I won’t mention the corruption.
So he is trying to damage the UK? Why? Is he a Russian sleeper agent? You sound like your typical embittered Labour supporter.

Zen

Dec 5, 2020
Sturgeon has put it up to the Tories with a proposed 4% wage increase for health workers in Scotland. The Tories in Scotland are rightly going to get hammered about, no adherence to the ministerial code in Scotland, his lying about a so called Australian deal and cuts to defence forces when previously Johnson promised no cuts. Maybe even a fleg stunt with new rules about Union Jack being on display.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
This offer is not available in NI*

*Terms and conditions apply. Your place in the union may be at risk if you overdo the flags.
Jacob Rees Mogg will not be happy.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
This offer is not available in NI*

*Terms and conditions apply. Your place in the union may be at risk if you overdo the flags.
The DUP, as is their wont, say no. Or yes.

DUP MP Sir Jeffrey Donaldson said the “decision to exclude NI at this stage is wrong and runs contrary to New Decade, New Approach which sought to align us with the rest of the UK when it came to the union flag being flown on government buildings”.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
D

Deleted member 146

Excellent at vaccine nationalism though! The EU are a tad naive and could learn a thing or two from the Brits in this regard.
I was chatting to a friend who works for the EC the other day, he said if getting it wrong means doing the right thing we'd rather get it wrong every time. I tend to agree.

D

Deleted member 146

Coming back to this theme on foot of last week's elections,

In Scotland, we've seen a majority for Independence supporting parties. We've been the Tories lose seats in terms of constituencies (to replace them from the list - which is, when you understand the Scottish electoral system, a failure in terms of elections in Scotland, even though they ended with the same number of seats).

In Wales, we've seen Labour win half the seats in Senedd Cymru.

In terms of cities and population centres we've seen Labour success in terms of Mayoral elections, not least in London, winning 13 of 13 Mayoral elections. We saw similar with the Brexit vote - population centres voted to remain, while rural areas voted to leave.

It is very clear that politically the country is split and that's not healing.

Top Bottom