• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Vehicle thread .. All things Cars, Motorbikes etc .. ( Inc Electric, Hybrid etc )

Apr 24, 2020
It's a big investment to use as a Taxi, but a Tesla on small tyres could be really well suited to taxi duties. Probably easy to develop an app for metering and reporting to the passenger in a very transparent manner (best route, rate per km or min, etc). Obvious benefits are zero local emissions and better insulation from energy costs..

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
It's a big investment to use as a Taxi, but a Tesla on small tyres could be really well suited to taxi duties. Probably easy to develop an app for metering and reporting to the passenger in a very transparent manner (best route, rate per km or min, etc). Obvious benefits are zero local emissions and better insulation from energy costs..
It's the future. The technology is currently being refined and it has been demonstrated that car batteries can be recharged wirelessly from buried charging points buried well under the ashpalt of a road. Tests have shown that a car can continuously recharge at speeds of 100km + as they drive over a road with embedded charging points.

It will be easy to embed these underground chargers on a Taxi Rank so that manual recharging isn't necessary.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Back to the 80s .. Love it. I like the boxy 4x4 look, sod the smooth lines :D .. So would you??

Last edited:

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
yer man that owns it is a right nasty piece of work.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Based on the Lotus Elan afair - a 1968 (+2) version of which I once owned - and is now owned by my son.
Yeah the MX5 is based on 60s roadsters. Started in 1989 and going strong still. Very reasonable priced roadster to own ( about €5k for 07, 08 ) & run + bullet proof engines, no real trouble. Only thing when buying is try buy Irish and not UK due to salted roads there .. rusty sills is a common "hidden" issue with UK MXes that some get caught with, has implications for NCT as sills are seen as part of chasis.

Last edited:

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Ok
They have a thing called sea keeper it would sort your stuff out .
They’re only kind of ok. My current boat has one, and while it does make a difference, it isn’t huge. At least not for those whose equiliberty is terminal.

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
Depends massively on the type of boat and the sea condition. I notice a difference, and can tel that it’s doing what it says on the tin, but a couple of friends who suffer from seasickness still suffer.
And they ain't cheap.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Depends massively on the type of boat and the sea condition. I notice a difference, and can tel that it’s doing what it says on the tin, but a couple of friends who suffer from seasickness still suffer.
Have spent a lot of time afloat and only once felt queasy when crossing the Straits of Gibraltar, mind you there was 5-6 sailors near me puking over the side 😄 I’d say on smaller craft like small fishing boats it would make it a lot easier and safer to move around.

Apr 24, 2020
So, yesterday, I was on the N11, stuck in traffic at the lights, and the car to my left started very gently surging forward, then rolling back. Movement was no more than 6 inches. The driver was using the clutch instead of handbrake and Neutral. Part of me died inside , thinking of the poor clutch, which will die before its time.

I normally associate this with old female drivers in small cars, but this was a 2016 Hyundai SUV (not sure if Santa fe or Tuscon) . And it was driven by a late 30's / early 40's male driver...

Mechanical sympathy is a thing. Not abusing your car is a thing. I fret when I kerbed my alloys recently, and I studiously avoid potholes, slow for speed bumps, and dont mount kerbs, or rev a car before it is nice and warm.

Any other egregious abuse out there that grinds your gears?

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
So, yesterday, I was on the N11, stuck in traffic at the lights, and the car to my left started very gently surging forward, then rolling back. Movement was no more than 6 inches. The driver was using the clutch instead of handbrake and Neutral. Part of me died inside , thinking of the poor clutch, which will die before its time.

I normally associate this with old female drivers in small cars, but this was a 2016 Hyundai SUV (not sure if Santa fe or Tuscon) . And it was driven by a late 30's / early 40's male driver...

Mechanical sympathy is a thing. Not abusing your car is a thing. I fret when I kerbed my alloys recently, and I studiously avoid potholes, slow for speed bumps, and dont mount kerbs, or rev a car before it is nice and warm.

Any other egregious abuse out there that grinds your gears?
People who brake too often - say when a car is approaching from the opposite direction - or approaching a slight bend - or for no apparent reason.

Grrr.

Apr 24, 2020

You'll always need the ability to things manually.
Not a Tesla fan-boy, but my keyless entry key died and had similar impact. Mercifully, was close to home so could get spare keys brought to me. Otherwise, find a hardware store and try to replace battery -very fiddly...

None of the above invalidates your point. A solid state, no battery, god-fearing key and ignition barrel is a great fallback.

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
Not a Tesla fan-boy, but my keyless entry key died and had similar impact. Mercifully, was close to home so could get spare keys brought to me. Otherwise, find a hardware store and try to replace battery -very fiddly...

None of the above invalidates your point. A solid state, no battery, god-fearing key and ignition barrel is a great fallback.
The size of the screw in the key is ridiculous.

Apr 24, 2020
The size of the screw in the key is ridiculous.
No screw in the ones I've done, but still need something to shim and prise the thing apart. Kitchen table job.

At least Audi let you start the car with a dead battery. You hold it to a panel in the car, others just scream the alarm at you till its fixed...

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Why are we installing average speed cameras on Irish motorways?

Apr 24, 2020
Money. As always.
There is an arguement for this, if the threshold is not too fascist. Doing more than 20 above can lead to serious issues if you are using motorway properly, and overtaking a truck, if I come barrelling up behind you at 140..

Better to have better etiquette around trucks overtaking each other. The Germans call it "Elephant racing " one truck at 101kph overtaking a truck at 100.

Outside of motorways, average speed tends to be very low. I average around 25kph in South Dublin driving... whilst observing speed limits in 30/50/60/80 kph areas.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
There is an arguement for this, if the threshold is not too fascist. Doing more than 20 above can lead to serious issues if you are using motorway properly, and overtaking a truck, if I come barrelling up behind you at 140..

Better to have better etiquette around trucks overtaking each other. The Germans call it "Elephant racing " one truck at 101kph overtaking a truck at 100.

Outside of motorways, average speed tends to be very low. I average around 25kph in South Dublin driving... whilst observing speed limits in 30/50/60/80 kph areas.
It is too much like a surveillance state to me. We don't appear (from the graph above) to have a particular problem with deaths on motorways, albeit some occur - some of which are a result of driving in the wrong direction.

If you are doing 140 on the motorway than a fixed camera will be sufficient.

If you are doing a steady 124 (hands up here!), but need to pass someone doing 120 then you may briefly accellerate beyond 124 - this is the safest option as otherwise you are in the 'elephant race' that you mentioned above - but you are now at the mercy of whoever sets the margin on the average speed camera. Ching!

Unnecessary imo.

Top Bottom