• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Vehicle thread .. All things Cars, Motorbikes etc .. ( Inc Electric, Hybrid etc )

Apr 24, 2020
It is too much like a surveillance state to me. We don't appear (from the graph above) to have a particular problem with deaths on motorways, albeit some occur - some of which are a result of driving in the wrong direction.

If you are doing 140 on the motorway than a fixed camera will be sufficient.

If you are doing a steady 124 (hands up here!), but need to pass someone doing 120 then you may briefly accellerate beyond 124 - this is the safest option as otherwise you are in the 'elephant race' that you mentioned above - but you are now at the mercy of whoever sets the margin on the average speed camera. Ching!

Unnecessary imo.
This summer I was behind the camper van from hell. 80-85kph in a 100 zone (non motorway) for 20ks. A clear spot appears, he accelerates to 100, I hit 140 passing him. That was far safer than a slow overtaking at 110. So I totally get that.

But an average set at 100 would have had me OK. Typically they are over a 5k stretch.
A 10k margin would be decent.

Apr 24, 2020
I see a driver was stopped nine times over the limit who the fuck does that.
And actually drive. My understanding of DUI limits is that it is quite hard to be many multiple times over the limit and actually drive. Or stand.

9 times... Jesus.

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
No excuse.
It's not an excuse, it's one of the probable reasons a person would drink and drive with that much alcohol in them.

The excessive speed seems to rule out a long time heavy drinker slinking their way home.

If they are young it's probably just someone reckless, out out of their head and out of control. Under the law excuses mean nothing.

Apr 24, 2020
A PSA:

The school run this morning, 7.40, lots of cars with no lights... Daytime Running Lights are mandatory from 2011, and you are advised to use dipped headlights if you don't have those. I'd consider the hours around dusk/dawn should be a no brainer..

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
A PSA:

The school run this morning, 7.40, lots of cars with no lights... Daytime Running Lights are mandatory from 2011, and you are advised to use dipped headlights if you don't have those. I'd consider the hours around dusk/dawn should be a no brainer..
I totally agree why can't people do the simplest of tasks.

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
Is the refusal to use indicators an Irish thing.?
A driver decided to do a 180 in one of the tightest streets in the town, in heavy traffic, yesterday.
Not so much as a blink during a 15 point turn.
Its when they don't do it on roundabouts that sends me over the edge.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
Roundabouts, Joe! Absolute disgrace! No bleedin’ indicators…it’s disgusting!
You see a strong government would empower AGS to stop these selfish drivers for a good scourging and a few days in the stocks. That would soon put an end to this sort of behaviour - and if the bleeding heart liberals complain point them at the Bible - It is all in there so it is OK

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
You see a strong government would empower AGS to stop these selfish drivers for a good scourging and a few days in the stocks. That would soon put an end to this sort of behaviour - and if the bleeding heart liberals complain point them at the Bible - It is all in there so it is OK
By Jesus, there were no roundabouts in the Bible. Them lads knew how to drive. Always put out the indicator.

Apr 24, 2020
For the second time in about the last 5 fills (already a traumatic experience), there has been an EV parked at the one free pump. Despite the ACTUAL parking spaces being vacant.

This is pure shithousery....

Apr 24, 2020
There's an auto light setting on modern cars.I don't use it,I turn the lights on when appropriate.
I put mine to auto when I got the car. Its interpretation of appropriate aligns with mine.

Top Bottom