• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

The Vehicle thread .. All things Cars, Motorbikes etc .. ( Inc Electric, Hybrid etc )

Apr 24, 2020
Bypass EVs in the trad car form and jump straight to hover/flying vehicles Blade Runner style :D

OR The Fifth Element Style:

After the rubber necking I had to sit in on the M50 today, adding a 3rd plane of movement....

Jesus...

Apr 24, 2020
I sense a disturbance in the force...

Where have all the "Go Safe" vans gone from South Dublin?

Not that I "miss" them...

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
After the rubber necking I had to sit in on the M50 today, adding a 3rd plane of movement....

Jesus...
Got stuck last night heading for the N2 exit due to an incident near the Ballymun exit on up. I'd forgotten over the last year and a half how much I hate the M50 at rush hour.

Apr 24, 2020
So today, I had my obligatory 3 school (and its environs) runs to the one school. First at 7.40, when, on the N11, I witnessed a car with no lights on. The street lights were off, but my "automatic" lights were still on, as were all other road users. But this (silver avensis) was practically invisible.

So, the maxim of Street lights = car lights needs a revision.

On my last schlep, at 7pm , there were 2 cars with no lights on. By no imagination was it dusk.

How do people not know their lights are off.

In urban areas, you see them in the car in front, and in the sticks, well, you just can't see.

Do we need a PSA on this most basic driving skill.

Now, the smart arses amongst you will say, sure , if you saw them, then others saw them, but this negates the fact that your lights pick up pedestrians and cyclists , and if your light are off, you are blind.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
So today, I had my obligatory 3 school (and its environs) runs to the one school. First at 7.40, when, on the N11, I witnessed a car with no lights on. The street lights were off, but my "automatic" lights were still on, as were all other road users. But this (silver avensis) was practically invisible.

So, the maxim of Street lights = car lights needs a revision.

On my last schlep, at 7pm , there were 2 cars with no lights on. By no imagination was it dusk.

How do people not know their lights are off.

In urban areas, you see them in the car in front, and in the sticks, well, you just can't see.

Do we need a PSA on this most basic driving skill.

Now, the smart arses amongst you will say, sure , if you saw them, then others saw them, but this negates the fact that your lights pick up pedestrians and cyclists , and if your light are off, you are blind.
This does my head in too, I generally flash them with the result that about one in three turn their lights on, some eejits wave and the rest are too busy on their phones. I find it astonishing to see cars driving like this even in the worst of conditions with failing light and lashing rain. Another time we should use lights us when it is very sunny, particularly when the sun is lowish and behind us, we can be invisible to oncoming traffic. Some auto lights detect this, some don’, I know mine doesn’t so I just leave the lights on all of the time.

Apr 24, 2020
And bald tyres I mean you can do 120km on a motorway and one pops it's curtains.
Actually, it's funny, I often see shocking tyres on big SUV's . When you are stuck in traffic, it's easy to see the utterly knackered thread.

Big wheels, big bills. 20 inchers can be 350 a corner, easy.

Plus, the weight of the car/assault vehicle, means they don't last as long.

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
Actually, it's funny, I often see shocking tyres on big SUV's . When you are stuck in traffic, it's easy to see the utterly knackered thread.

I know a mum driving a 2007 Audi Q7 it's in a jock but the but she would never drive a Toyota a Mrs bucket.

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
And bald tyres I mean you can do 120km on a motorway and one pops it's curtains.
25 years ago I was doing 80 + mph in the outside lane of a 3 lane motorway when the Front R tyre went on the Volvo - God Knows how but I ended up on the hard shoulder , twitching and sweating. Took me 10 minutes and 2 cigarettes before I could get out of the car

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
25 years ago I was doing 80 + mph in the outside lane of a 3 lane motorway when the Front R tyre went on the Volvo - God Knows how but I ended up on the hard shoulder , twitching and sweating. Took me 10 minutes and 2 cigarettes before I could get out of the car
It happened to me on a motorcycle I ended up in hospital.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018

Can't for the life of me understand people skimping on tyres and buying part worn and remoulds as it's the only contact you have with the road surface....

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
It happened to me on a motorcycle I ended up in hospital.

I came out one morning a good few years ago and a new rear tyre i had fitted on the Bandit had been done incorrectly and had popped off the wheel rim during the night .......blessed i wasn't on it at the time it happened....

Also had a chain snap on me years ago on an old Honda 250-N coming down the Whitehall Road ....again lucky that it came off clean and the bike just rolled on until i stopped....apparently there was a problem with the hub on the rear wheels of those bikes or so the fella in the shop said....

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
Can't for the life of me understand people skimping on tyres and buying part worn and remoulds as it's the only contact you have with the road surface....
Meaneness. I was told a story about a guy who only ever drove on remoulds and never put more than a tenner in the tank. When he died the family found shoe boxes full of cash between the joists in the attic, tens of thousands of pounds and nearly 100k in €.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Meaneness. I was told a story about a guy who only ever drove on remoulds and never put more than a tenner in the tank. When he died the family found shoe boxes full of cash between the joists in the attic, tens of thousands of pounds and nearly 100k in €.

Sounds like a taxi man i know.........bad enough that civilians buy that crap but when it's people doing it for a living......

May 21, 2021
It's kind of pointless now when you can buy lesser known brands off the back of reviews online. 44€ a corner isn't breaking the bank. I've had some great tyres over the years for the price.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
It's kind of pointless now when you can buy lesser known brands off the back of reviews online. 44€ a corner isn't breaking the bank. I've had some great tyres over the years for the price.

Yeah.....Gin Soaked made a good point though as regards the Chelsea tractors....

I was offered a jeep a few years back for 3k but it needed some work and four new tyres... as he pointed out the tyres are around 350 each but i was told that they could put me onto someone who would do it for a grand......I guess i'm just not that image concious.. :).

Have a little one litre Hyundai now if i need to go anywhere and perfect for the kids learning to drive in it....... €190 a year road tax and i use my Mountain bike about six days a week for work and general use anyway...... ......

Apr 24, 2020
Yeah.....Gin Soaked made a good point though as regards the Chelsea tractors....

I was offered a jeep a few years back for 3k but it needed some work and four new tyres... as he pointed out the tyres are around 350 each but i was told that they could put me onto someone who would do it for a grand......I guess i'm just not that image concious.. :).

Have a little one litre Hyundai now if i need to go anywhere and perfect for the kids learning to drive in it....... €190 a year road tax and i use my Mountain bike about six days a week for work and general use anyway...... ......
I'm currently (stupidly) rolling on 19" tyres. Have 30k kms on them, which is OK, will try to get to 35 -40 with a rotation.

I may see if I could drop to 17". As in buy new wheels and tyres. But then you have to navigate dodgy alloy aftermarket... which is just as dangerous.

MPG would go up, but more importantly, ride and road noise would improve massively. Probably would wash its face once we've swapped the second set..

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
I'm currently (stupidly) rolling on 19" tyres. Have 30k kms on them, which is OK, will try to get to 35 -40 with a rotation.

I may see if I could drop to 17". As in buy new wheels and tyres. But then you have to navigate dodgy alloy aftermarket... which is just as dangerous.

MPG would go up, but more importantly, ride and road noise would improve massively. Probably would wash its face once we've swapped the second set..

I'm rolling on 26" x 1.95's these days.....unfortunately only rolling downhill in the mornings i have to work a bit harder on the way home..... :D

Apr 24, 2020
Porches never had breaks. The same as Audis not having indicators.
Herself loves Audi.

I've always considered BMW a far better "drivers car", largely due to BMW's rear wheel drive tendency to fishtail everywhere in the wet.

This leads BMW drivers to respect their mortality. This gives them (some) humility, and appreciation of nuanced feedback.

Whereas a quattro AUDI is so "bet onto the road", they think they are invincible. And god like.

Mercedes and Lexus and Volvo just bore/sedate their drivers into not caring how long the journey takes, leading to a much calmer person, albeit one lacking any social awareness.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Herself loves Audi.

I've always considered BMW a far better "drivers car", largely due to BMW's rear wheel drive tendency to fishtail everywhere in the wet.

This leads BMW drivers to respect their mortality. This gives them (some) humility, and appreciation of nuanced feedback.

Whereas a quattro AUDI is so "bet onto the road", they think they are invincible. And god like.

Mercedes and Lexus and Volvo just bore/sedate their drivers into not caring how long the journey takes, leading to a much calmer person, albeit one lacking any social awareness.
I have a Volvo. It’s a brilliant car with plenty of power if required. Best car I’ve ever had.

Apr 24, 2020
I have a Volvo. It’s a brilliant car with plenty of power if required. Best car I’ve ever had.
We've had 2 S40's original and second one. Lovely seats, and soo soothing to drive. I find Audis "belligerent " and BMWs "twitchy". Soothing is nice...

Apr 24, 2020
Speaking of Chelsea tractors...

Apparently she wasn't taxed after all that.
Ok. SUV mum is an absolute dose, and is displaying sociopathic behaviour in a 2 tonne car towards protesters. Nothing that follows excuses that.

I can't see Insulate Britain earning any support by blocking roads. Not saying this lady is an example of this, but most on the roads are "little people" just trying to get by and survive day to day.

Takes a lot of privilege to sit in a road all day, annoying people weaker than you.

Apologise if this is dangerously close to political opinion..

May 21, 2021
Ok. SUV mum is an absolute dose, and is displaying sociopathic behaviour in a 2 tonne car towards protesters. Nothing that follows excuses that.

I can't see Insulate Britain earning any support by blocking roads. Not saying this lady is an example of this, but most on the roads are "little people" just trying to get by and survive day to day.

Takes a lot of privilege to sit in a road all day, annoying people weaker than you.

Apologise if this is dangerously close to political opinion..
Hehe, yeah IB aren't making friends, but it's a weird movement anyway. I can see the point of making all homes fully insulated in an environmental sense, in fact it's an aim already established by the EU. But it's almost as if it's a bit of a populist move by Extinction rebellion as everyone would love their home upgraded at the cost of the government. But as you say, they then go and wreck any good PR by having these protests.

The irony being that if you wanted to motivate the countries home owning comfortable middle class, then surely making a regular political movement of free and/or cheap insulation would be the way to go with plenty of potential for populism and sloganeering:

Take back heat!
Make Britain cosy!
Get glazing done!

An environmental UKIP if you will...:ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom