• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Things that Grind my Gears

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Not to mention, closer to home, signage on the LUAS openly exhorting people to ‘touch off’ at the ‘platform validator’

I expect it will be animals next.
I used to love English train signs, for their bonkers formality.

'Passengers are requested to alight after the train has pulled in to the station platform.'

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018

'Passengers are requested to alight after the train has pulled in to the station platform.'
The French metro used to be great with its long list of people you had to give up your seat for---in order of importance : Military veterans, those mutilated by war, blind people, those disabled because of their work, the infirm, those over 75, pregnant women, women with children....

I loved the "Please Do Not Spit" signs as well...

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
A new identification - women who have had a man's child who are neither girlfriend nor wife are "my baby mother"

But this really takes the biscuit for all round fuckwittery

Apr 24, 2020
Double-barrel names

First name second name junior and senior

even worse First name Second name the Second, the third, the fourth etc
The latter is the worst. Guaranteed there is a matriarchal or patriarchal asshole in the family. May be dead, may be alive, but has a supremacy cult over the family. And invariably a crime in the wealth backstory.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
The latter is the worst. Guaranteed there is a matriarchal or patriarchal asshole in the family. May be dead, may be alive, but has a supremacy cult over the family. And invariably a crime in the wealth backstory.
How very dare you.

I remain, Sir, your humble and obedient servant,

Hollandia Ponsonby-de Pfeffel IV, Esq.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018

I remember the signs in the Botanic Gardens about perambulators (not admitted to the glasshouses afair).

T'was far from perambulators...

Norman Bates

You thought I was nice...
Dec 10, 2018
DublinBayS
... and the signs in Hanlons [public house}

Please spit in the spitoons, and not on the sawdust on the floor ...

hanlon-s-bar-restaurant.md.jpg

{Please note ... this was a sign for farmers as sawdust was only put on the floor on market days ... and it is the best that memory allows]

Cruimh

Rhubarb fetishist and proud of it!
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Under the blue skies
www.xxx-rhubarb.com
The Latter should only be used when there is only one alternative- the former

Hollandia made me point this out.

ast

Dec 15, 2018
Boogieland
A little repetitive.
Yep, but markedly composed as a feature in that tune. 😊

After listening in to most of their tracks since the last post it became clear that many of their works thematize repetition versus variation, albeit in a less pronounced manner.

soundcloud.com/tags/zombra

They also have more classical texted rap videos at

youtube.com/channel/UCPb_orIeRMAhI1pTDrYiYZw

There's a gradual shift towards more usual levels of variation in the later instrumental pieces, e.g:

Weirdly enough the web page at heiiderwx.wixsite.com/zombra-record usually plays a decent accordeon piece after loading in my browser.

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
... and the signs in Hanlons [public house}

Please spit in the spitoons, and not on the sawdust on the floor ...

hanlon-s-bar-restaurant.md.jpg

{Please note ... this was a sign for farmers as sawdust was only put on the floor on market days ... and it is the best that memory allows]
I too remember those signs.

seanof

Nov 27, 2018
Marty Morrisey

Tonight he said unquinchable when he meant unquenchable.

Kilkenny.

Funking Kilkenny.
That's a common mispronunciation in south Galway and Clare, ie the e pronounced as i, as in this case. I did notice yesterday that Morrissey pronounced Feakle as Fakel. He's correct in that.

The Limerick accent is another animal altogether. Listen to Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan for lessons in not how to speak the English language.

soccop

Pavlov rings my bell.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
Temporally dislocated.
That's a common mispronunciation in south Galway and Clare, ie the e pronounced as i, as in this case. I did notice yesterday that Morrissey pronounced Feakle as Fakel. He's correct in that.

The Limerick accent is another animal altogether. Listen to Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan for lessons in not how to speak the English language.
I'd rather not.

Top Bottom