• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Village Magazine goes All-in with Leo Story

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Simon Harris has shafted Leo this morning in the Sunday Times.

Meanwhile, Kate O'Connell, celebrity pharmacist to the Claire Byrne Show and former FG TD has launched a "blistering attack" on the boul Leo.

Looks like team Coveney are making their move.

In other, non related news, Paddy power have slashed the odds on an election this year to 2/1.

I heard Kate O'Connell this morning. It wasn't really a "blistering attack"

It was as one would expect :---this kind of stuff looks bad...we don't like it...it's "concerning", blah blah

Nor was Simon Harris shafting Leo, imo. If Harris was asked questions by the Gardai, he would have to give a truthful answer. Plus Simon would be delighted to let us all know that he didn't do bad stuff when the opportunity arose, but chose the path of righteousness instead. It's more about Harris than about Leo.

It depends how long the Garda investigation goes on for

..If it drags on, Leo could become toxic and then.... alas..... adios amigo, adios my friend, the road we have travelled has come to an end, I will ride to the Rio......

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I heard Kate O'Connell this morning. It wasn't really a "blistering attack"

It was as one would expect :---this kind of stuff looks bad...we don't like it...it's "concerning", blah blah

Nor was Simon Harris shafting Leo, imo. If Harris was asked questions by the Gardai, he would have to give a truthful answer. Plus Simon would be delighted to let us all know that he didn't do bad stuff when the opportunity arose, but chose the path of righteousness instead. It's more about Harris than about Leo.

It depends how long the Garda investigation goes on for

..If it drags on, Leo could become toxic and then.... alas..... adios amigo, adios my friend, the road we have travelled has come to an end, I will ride to the Rio......
Oh I know, that's why I retained the quote marks. However, Simon didn't have to report back to the papers what he said. And it couldn't have been a guard as leaking information from AGS would be illegal.... Oh, wait a minute...

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Oh I know, that's why I retained the quote marks. However, Simon didn't have to report back to the papers what he said. And it couldn't have been a guard as leaking information from AGS would be illegal.... Oh, wait a minute...
Simon loves being the best boy in the class, and telling teacher that he refused to smoke behind the bike shed when the other bad boys were doing it.

The temptation to blab was just too great...

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
Not everyone in FG delighted with Harris's attention-seeking if RTÉ's principal recipient of the unattributed comment is anything to go by.
One name mentioned repeatedly in conversations is that of Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris. Some colleagues are struck by his level of attentiveness to their constituency needs. "He’s everywhere and he couldn’t do enough for you," said one TD wryly. This approach follows a similar pattern to Leo Varadkar cultivation of support within the parliamentary party in the run-up to succeeding Enda Kenny.
This task, which is referred to as "working the parliamentary party", is not something Simon Coveney engaged in back in 2017 and the same is true today. The Minister for Foreign Affairs and deputy party leader has instead concentrated on the major issue of Brexit. This work has enhanced his reputation as a patient and skilled negotiator.
Equally, Paschal Donohoe is seen as focusing solely on his ministerial duties and his added responsibilities at EU level.
Could it be that, if Varadkar bites the dust with or without Harris's assistance, FG might decide that they might prefer someone who gets on with the job rather than another self-promoting protogé of Frances Fitzgerald?

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

This could be damaging.

Prof Honeydew

Nov 28, 2018
Supposing a certain politician was a little Dutch boy living beside a dike and the leak just happened to be one of his making.

25bbc84802eb5cc8944822107d0a96771.md.jpg

seanof

Nov 27, 2018

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
Interesting nugget here. Buried in the corner of the front page of the Sunday independent.

It's paywall, but there's a version of the article here on reddit.

Also of note, Bernard Durkan TD is also to give a statement to AGS.

I wonder if they're backing Leo, saving their skins, or knifing him in the back.

Bonkers

Feb 15, 2019
Interesting nugget here. Buried in the corner of the front page of the Sunday independent.

I wonder if they're backing Leo, saving their skins, or knifing him in the back.
I wonder if he’ll be roaring abuse at the Garda. That’s all he seems to do in the Dail.

Nov 29, 2018

I very much doubt that Kate would do anything to help Leo.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018

Bernard Durkan? He was due to be interviewed by AGS?

This Examiner article says he has already been interviewed along with O'Connell.....

Mr Cosgrave is the latest in a string of high-profile people who have had interviews and engagements with gardaí, with former TD Kate O'Connell and current TD Bernard Durkan recently interviewed.

OT....A pity the Times articles are behind paywalls... i saw links to two headlines over the weekend alledging the Guards are using WhatsApp to avoid follow up on 999 calls and the other that they have used 90k of EU training money for meals and entertainment...no on else seems to be picking up on it......

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
This Examiner article says he has already been interviewed along with O'Connell.....

OT....A pity the Times articles are behind paywalls... i saw links to two headlines over the weekend alledging the Guards are using WhatsApp to avoid follow up on 999 calls and the other that they have used 90k of EU training money for meals and entertainment...no on else seems to be picking up on it......
This will be why Drew Harris is learning Irish.

D

Deleted member 146

Durkan is still a TD?!

Derryman

Feb 17, 2019
Derry
Yes investigations take as long as they need to take.
I am just wondering how some seemingly uncomplicated stuff takes longer than seems justifiable.
In this particular case the person being investigated has admitted leaking stuff. The only thing to be investigated , I would have thought is, was there a breach of any law? But perhaps there is more to be disclosed .

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
I am just wondering how some seemingly uncomplicated stuff takes longer than seems justifiable.
In this particular case the person being investigated has admitted leaking stuff. The only thing to be investigated , I would have thought is, was there a breach of any law? But perhaps there is more to be disclosed .
I'd much rather it took as long as it took than being rushed or botched. It's incredibly sensitive politically, and there's a lot riding on it. It also needs to ne understood, that there may (or may not be) multiple prosecutions arising depending on just how many people were involved.

D

Deleted member 146

Because the seemingly uncomplicated stuff isn't always uncomplicated and when that is assumed and is gotten wrong that's when cases fall apart.

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
View attachment 1759

This - to me, anyway - seems like a massive story. Rarely will a publication be so upfront in levelling an accusation of corruption. One would have to assume that they have a serious amount of evidence to back this up for the inevitable investigation and/or court case.

That said, this story has flown under the radar and isn't one I am at all aware of. Any IPOers have any inkling of what is going on here?
Well, it's been a year and no lawsuit. So that, as they say, is that.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
It's simply what it says on the tin - the exposure of corruption in public office and the highlighting of the public service done by whistleblowers and decent journalists. There's nothing necessarily personal or political about it.
A novel concept on this Island apparently judging for the comments of even some of our Labour party supporting contributors.......

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Is that a requirement as well these days before one can be a whistleblower or highlight wrong doing...?
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that - but there might be a little personal animus involved.

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that - but there might be a little personal animus involved.
I think you will find that's a long queue when it comes to FF and FG politicians and allegations of cute hoor politics ...

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
Something of a tyrant by all accounts.
There may well be a personal element, as there usually is in cases like this

A former Web director ,who is suing Cosgrave, alleges that he "targets aggressively those with whom he has a disagreement or a grudge"

He is taking a case against him, alleging that Cosgrave ran "a toxic campaign of of personal vendettas against Varadkar, O Tuathail, the IDA, and his former Web summit co-founders"

Round tower

Feb 16, 2019
Something of a tyrant by all accounts.

Seems another story where he is great if u are on his side but don't go against him

Apr 24, 2020

Seems another story where he is great if u are on his side but don't go against him
Paddy Cosgrave alleged to have hacked rival event company, court documents say (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/business/paddy-cosgrave-alleged-to-have-hacked-rival-event-company-court-documents-say-1.4736677

This could be great fun to watch....

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
Perhaps Leo wasn't the story?

Top Bottom