• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Weather / Storm Watch thread + Climate Change ( COP26 )

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
#StormElsa - Wednesday 18th Dec 2019

#StormAtiyah - Sunday 8th Dec 2019

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
For a more indepth idea of the week to come ( inc that storm plus tues on - bitter cold ) see carlow Weather video from last night here ( 4 mins or so )

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
That looks nasty, this site is best viewed on the app, most accurate for wind speeds I have come across. Radar is good also rest okayish.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Speed forecast dropping slightly, NW coast still going to get a battering, up to 130Kmph gusts, no fun, may calm down a little before hitting land. Usually wind forecasts do tend to predict on high side.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Seems to be cooling down a bit, winds shifted westards almost SW and then swinging back NW...may not be as bad as we thought. Hopefully...

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Seems to be cooling down a bit, winds shifted westards almost SW and then swinging back NW...may not be as bad as we thought. Hopefully...
#StormAtiyah aint here yet by a long shot. Thats tomorrow evening into monday for the worst.

More counties inc CORK now Orange with gusts between 110 and 130km/h

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Predicting up to Storm Force 10 on Sunday afternoon at coasts along the South and West.

That’s windy.

But they do tend to cry wolf.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Predicting up to Storm Force 10 on Sunday afternoon at coasts along the South and West.

That’s windy.

But they do tend to cry wolf.
I would not be complacent with this storm. Something different about this one TBH. Check this out, just posted

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
#StormAtiyah aint here yet by a long shot. Thats tomorrow evening into monday for the worst.

More counties inc CORK now Orange with gusts between 110 and 130km/h

Oh I know it's not here at all yet, just that that it is not going to be as bad as predictated from what I can see, these storms tend to lose a lot of energy coming across the Atlantic and this one is doing just that.

Map showing predicted wind gusts down from 130kph to 100kph over most of the country now.

Last edited:

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
There won’t be a polyrunnel left alive along the western seaboard.
Hitting 90kph along parts of the western seaboard, its when it reaches treble figures I get worried but hopefully it won't. Midnight it peaks, but long wet windy day ahead.

Music for wind and rain :D

Last edited:

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Kerry has just gone red on the Met Éireann warnings.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Keep in mind IF this transpires to be bad .. then it will not be until later this afternoon / evening into monday morning.

Im noticing too many people on soc media etc thinking this storm is already come and gone last night and this morn.

I say IF, because yes there is a big possibility this "Storm" too will be a non event for most except the extreme west coast. For the rest of us .. a normal winter storm.

TBH I am not a great fan of this colour coding thing ..I think it came into place maybe with good intention but its gotten hijacked by the HYSTERIA Driven media.

This is the only guy I tend to follow along with for storms etc:

Last edited:

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Keep in mind IF this transpires to be bad .. then it will not be until later this afternoon / evening into monday morning.

Im noticing too many people on soc media etc thinking this storm is already come and gone last night and this morn.

I say IF, because yes there is a big possibility this "Storm" too will be a non event for most except the extreme west coast. For the rest of us .. a normal winter storm.

TBH I am not a great fan of this colour coding thing ..I think it came into place maybe with good intention but its gotten hijacked by the HYSTERIA Driven media.

This is the only guy I tend to follow along with for storms etc:
Apart from costal areas this is not going to be that bad at all...and I mean places right on the coast...rest of the country will be what I call 'windy' in other words if you had not been forewarned you would not really have noticed.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Sherkin Island in W Cork has a met station that records hourly weather data and can be viewed on the Met Éireann app.

Currently, the app is predicting 80kph on Sherkin at 17:00. The met station on Sherkin recorded 35kph at 16:00.

Something wrong there.

Kongming

Mar 13, 2019
Sherkin Island in W Cork has a met station that records hourly weather data and can be viewed on the Met Éireann app.

Currently, the app is predicting 80kph on Sherkin at 17:00. The met station on Sherkin recorded 35kph at 16:00.

Something wrong there.
Well....that was then.
This is now:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Apart from costal areas this is not going to be that bad at all...and I mean places right on the coast...rest of the country will be what I call 'windy' in other words if you had not been forewarned you would not really have noticed.
Yip ... in fact I cannot understand why Cork went Orange .. so far the day has been just breezy with odd shower of rain, heavy OK but nothing unusual. I would just call it a regular blustery winters day.

In fact for Co. Cork I would say so far, doesnt merit ANY COLOUR at all bar maybe the right on the coast parts at a push. As i said manufactured hysteria by the media.

Hands up .. I added this thread contributing to the hysteria some might say, but I have not over bigged it up, just marked it. And I will admit I always have an interest in weather as I "majored" in Geography from college :D .. so I added this GENERAL storm thread to collate these events and we can refer back to comments on previous events from IPO member perspective.

Vega1447

Feb 17, 2019
Just drove Dublin to Limerick. Arrived 10 mins ago. The occasional nasty crosswind gust and heavy rain from Nenagh to Limerick. But nothing too serious.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
Starting to sound rough now in Cork. Stay safe all.

publicrealm

Nov 27, 2018
Cork County Council day the Dursey cable car ‘has been suspended due to gusts’.
😐

Kongming

Mar 13, 2019
Just drove Dublin to Limerick. Arrived 10 mins ago. The occasional nasty crosswind gust and heavy rain from Nenagh to Limerick. But nothing too serious.
So....what you’re saying is, you haven’t arrived yet?

Top Bottom