• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Weather / Storm Watch thread + Climate Change ( COP26 )

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member
What I posted was from three decades ago…https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

Could have been from the article you posted, no change, still the same old warnings same old BS…and three decades after we are still the same. None, absolutely none of the warnings they gave three decades ago have proven to be true…
The fatal flaw in your argument is that the article does not state that those things would happen within ten years - it does however state that there was a ten year window to prevent those things happening (which is an entirely different thing altogether). And as I posted up thread, there's overwhelming scientific, meteorological, agricultural and economic evidence that we've already passed the event horizon.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
There's ample scientific, agricultural, meteorological and political evidence to suggest we may already be beyond the point of no return. Best we can hope for is damage limitation.
This is the key point, which even the Greenest of politicians don't want to admit because it will expose most of their schemes as pointless hand-wringing. The reality is we will be looking at evacuating some highly-populated areas within a couple of decades, if not sooner.

It will, however, take a major catastrophe (e.g. fire actually consuming Athens or Jerusalem) before the generality of the public take any notice.

danger here

Feb 17, 2019
Vulkaneifel
follow up from Germany, great pan-European solidarity, the British know not what they are missing out on..

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Hurricane Ida is some beast. The scenes from New Orleans etc incredible. Daylight is coming and the true damage will be seen

Heard this on CNN. Mad stuff

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

seems Martin isn't that big a dope after all, he's still a big dope like, but not that big a dope
Straight out of the blocks - "Russia and China express strong opposition to Ireland’s proposal to extend remit"

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
There is an argument that the Suns cycles interferes in our weather. At the moment we are apparently in whats called a solar minimum, little or no sun spot activity. This comes around every so often. Worst was back in 1700's, 1800s when it lasted years with increased seismic activity and colder weather. A mini ice age around the 16/1700s

Northern Hemisphere snow cover is building early this season, just as a bout of historically low solar activity predicts…

The last few nights have been pretty bitter here .. what a difference a week makes

Shaadi

Feb 16, 2019
There is an argument that the Suns cycles interferes in our weather. At the moment we are apparently in whats called a solar minimum, little or no sun spot activity. This comes around every so often. Worst was back in 1700's, 1800s when it lasted years with increased seismic activity and colder weather. A mini ice age around the 16/1700s

Northern Hemisphere snow cover is building early this season, just as a bout of historically low solar activity predicts…

The last few nights have been pretty bitter here .. what a difference a week makes
Six months of misery for my bones ahead. I get a little bit depressed in August as I can see the winter looming.

Please Sir! can I have more global warming, just a little bit. :)

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018

hollandia

Literally knows shit
Staff member

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
First BORIS says he really isnt expecting much from COP 26 .. now this - "Rishi Sunak cuts taxes on domestic flights days before Cop26 climate summit "

Last edited:

Statsman

The nice one, or so it seemed.
Staff member
Nov 28, 2018
A quiet retirement home
First BORIS says he really isnt expecting much from COP 26 .. now this

Not a single mention of climate change in the speech, as far as I can tell.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
First BORIS says he really isnt expecting much from COP 26 .. now this - First BORIS says he really isnt expecting much from COP 26 .. now this - "Rishi Sunak cuts taxes on domestic flights days before Cop26 climate summit "

And the Quid pro Quo

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Seems they are building us up to accept COP26 is going to be a complete damp squib. Boris and Sunak above, now this

If so, Calling it off would be more helpful to the climate perhaps?

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Is that to cheap flights to the protesters?
The real issue around Sunak in his budget yesterday doing this - "cuts taxes on domestic flights days before Cop26 climate summit " - is various climate organisations have came out and been saying SHORT HAUL flights need to be cut down on / removed .. and what does the country / GOV that is hosting COP26 do?

Nov 29, 2018
The real issue around Sunak in his budget yesterday doing this - "cuts taxes on domestic flights days before Cop26 climate summit " - is various climate organisations have came out and been saying SHORT HAUL flights need to be cut down on / removed .. and what does the country / GOV that is hosting COP26 do?
I get that, I was being facetious.

In the subject of weather, it rained all day yesterday in Kinsale, without let up, even the fishermen stayed in harbour but the hardy year round swimmers were out.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I get that, I was being facetious.

In the subject of weather, it rained all day yesterday in Kinsale, without let up, even the fishermen stayed in harbour but the hardy year round swimmers were out.
It is still pretty mild I suppose and with rain sometimes the water can be perceived as warmer. Helped as you are going in already drenched so temps more equal I imagine

Leinsterview

Mar 11, 2019
The average temperature of the planet for millions of years during the early part Carboniferous period was 20 degrees Centigrade — 6 degrees warmer than now😵💫

Nov 27, 2018
That girl should be at home studying (the Swedish equivalent of) her leaving cert.
To be cynical about it, why should she bother? She's got herself enough profile to make a living on already.

Nov 27, 2018
Sulking because she is no longer the centre of attention?
To be fair, she's a teenager. She has more right to be sulky or stroppy than the supposedly adult and "eminent" heads of state attending the conference.

If I were to criticise her, it'd be that she doesn't wear enough heavy-metal logo-ed t-shirts.

Gatsbygirl20

Dec 2, 2018
To be fair, she's a teenager. She has more right to be sulky or stroppy than the supposedly adult and "eminent" heads of state attending the conference.

If I were to criticise her, it'd be that she doesn't wear enough heavy-metal logo-ed t-shirts.
I agree. Teenagers be teenagers. Sulking and shouting go with the territory

But the hypocritical "leaders"---400 of whom flew into Glasgow in their own individual private jets, causing a jet-jam at Glasgow airport--what is the excuse for the behaviour of these billionaires, who then presume to preach to the rest of us.?

Jeff Bezos flew by private jet from Turkey, having partied on Bill Gates' polluting yacht, where guests were ferried to and fro in a fleet of helicopters

Boris Johnson, instead of taking the train from Glasgow to London, flew back home by private plane, because he didn't want to be late for a knees-up at the Garrick Club in London!

Joe Biden travelled everywhere with a gas-guzzling mile-long motorcade

Prince Charles takes his own bed wherever he travels. Himself and his entourage travel by private plane, while a second plane or ship transports his bed, his wines, his linen...

The Royal family have a massive carbon footprint. Apart from the planes, limousines and helicopters, there are the huge empty palaces, the slaughtering of wildlife.....

This privileged wealthy elite refuse to inconvenience themselves in the slightest, or modify in any way their obscene lifestyles, while preaching to people who struggle to replace a gas boiler, or to buy an electric car, and who are lucky to manage one sun holiday per year, travelling in a packed Ryanair plane.

They are shameless, the hypocrites.

Sep 15, 2021
I agree. Teenagers be teenagers. Sulking and shouting go with the territory

But the hypocritical "leaders"---400 of whom flew into Glasgow in their own individual private jets, causing a jet-jam at Glasgow airport--what is the excuse for the behaviour of these billionaires, who then presume to preach to the rest of us.?

Jeff Bezos flew by private jet from Turkey, having partied on Bill Gates' polluting yacht, where guests were ferried to and fro in a fleet of helicopters

Boris Johnson, instead of taking the train from Glasgow to London, flew back home by private plane, because he didn't want to be late for a knees-up at the Garrick Club in London!

Joe Biden travelled everywhere with a gas-guzzling mile-long motorcade

Prince Charles takes his own bed wherever he travels. Himself and his entourage travel by private plane, while a second plane or ship transports his bed, his wines, his linen...

The Royal family have a massive carbon footprint. Apart from the planes, limousines and helicopters, there are the huge empty palaces, the slaughtering of wildlife.....

This privileged wealthy elite refuse to inconvenience themselves in the slightest, or modify in any way their obscene lifestyles, while preaching to people who struggle to replace a gas boiler, or to buy an electric car, and who are lucky to manage one sun holiday per year, travelling in a packed Ryanair plane.

They are shameless, the hypocrites.
Yep, and having the gall to blame the likes of China's leaders for not going to that farce of a meeting is pure white superiority. Personally I think it's great that old white guys are so irritated by Thunberg. It means she's having some effect. Basically the boomer generation has destroyed this world for their grandchildren due to their own greed and if Thunberg manages to get a movement against this horrible anti life generation, then this is a good move. This generation needs to removed from power and positions of influence ASAP.

Top Bottom