• New Home.

Hey all, just a little update.

We have moved servers and as a result, we are now under a new URL and a new name, we are now Irishpolitics.net. Please change your bookmarks and update how you get to this site.

Our new URL is

www.irishpolitics.net

The old URL will become obsolete over the coming week.

We will also be upgrading the site software to the latest version but this will be done over the coming weeks, once everyone is comfortable with the new URL.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colm
  • Important Information regarding posting about Covid 19 Click Here

Weather / Storm Watch thread + Climate Change ( COP26 )

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Yep, and having the gall to blame the likes of China's leaders for not going to that farce of a meeting is pure white superiority. Personally I think it's great that old white guys are so irritated by Thunberg. It means she's having some effect. Basically the boomer generation has destroyed this world for their grandchildren due to their own greed and if Thunberg manages to get a movement against this horrible anti life generation, then this is a good move. This generation needs to removed from power and positions of influence ASAP.
This was a bit of a falsehood. No, the leaders of China and Russia did not show up BUT both Russia and China DID have and still have very strong negotiating groups there at COP26 on the ground WHICH is more important than those leaders being there. The real work is being done once the leaders fcked off anyway.

The US and others made it out that China and Russia were not there at all

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Blah Blah Blah ??? Wont make the cut?

Things not sounding great coming out of COP26 for Climate Change pledges and businesses, countries rowing in to get us down to this famous 1.5 degree .. Seems we are Barreling toward 2.5 degree which means pretty catastrophic climate for many places across the world and definite climate big big issues for the rest of us.

China, US and Germany absent from 2040 commitment despite hundreds of local and regional authorities signing up

Yet despite months of pressure by the UK, four of the world’s five largest carmakers — Volkswagen, Toyota, the Renault-Nissan alliance, and Hyundai-Kia — have not signed up.

China, the world’s largest car market, did not sign. The US, the second largest, was also absent from the agreement by Tuesday evening, although individual states including California, New York and Washington backed the deal, as well as cities such as Dallas, Charleston, Atlanta and Seattle. São Paulo in Brazil and Buenos Aires in Argentina also joined the pledge.

Last edited:

Jaysus

Sep 6, 2021
Things not sounding great coming out of COP26 for Climate Change pledges and businesses, countries rowing in to get us down to this famous 1.5% .. Seems we are Barling toward 2.5%+ which means pretty catastrophic climate for many places across the world and definite climate big big issues for the rest of us.

China, US and Germany absent from 2040 commitment despite hundreds of local and regional authorities signing up

Yet despite months of pressure by the UK, four of the world’s five largest carmakers — Volkswagen, Toyota, the Renault-Nissan alliance, and Hyundai-Kia — have not signed up.

China, the world’s largest car market, did not sign. The US, the second largest, was also absent from the agreement by Tuesday evening, although individual states including California, New York and Washington backed the deal, as well as cities such as Dallas, Charleston, Atlanta and Seattle. São Paulo in Brazil and Buenos Aires in Argentina also joined the pledge.
I’m not smart enough to understand what you are saying in this post.

Could you please explain it for me?

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
I’m not smart enough to understand what you are saying in this post.

Could you please explain it for me?
My bad. For some reason i said 1.5% and 2.5% when i should have said 1.5 and 2.5 DEGREE

The 2016 paris agreement had a plan to limit increase of global temp by 1.5 deg C. And even at that there would be consequences. The target for cop26 was at least that with carbon net zero pledges but now not the case. Its looking more like a 2.5 deg increase in global temps maybe optimistic increase at best by 1.8 deg.

Warmer world means glacier ice melts = increased sea levels by matter of 3 feet+ ( 75% of planet covered in ocean ) = flooding on coasts globally permanently. Most of world pop lives on coastal cities etc. Also means hotter weather making large amounts of areas esp around equator unliveable in .. too hot for humans etc. This equals mass migration to europe etc. And on it goes .. many more knock on consequences

Last edited:

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
All this stuff one hears from some in Ireland like WHY Should we be doing anything about climate change, its not little old Ireland causing it .. sort China, Russia etc out first. WELL here is why we are not all saintly clear of responsibility .. consumerism for one

milipod

Nov 27, 2018
Stepaside
All this stuff one hears from some in Ireland like WHY Should we be doing anything about climate change, its not little old Ireland causing it .. sort China, Russia etc out first. WELL here is why we are not all saintly clear of responsibility .. consumerism for one

Looks like a branch of pennys.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
watching this on SKY last night .. an education it was, about PERU and the huge amount of Glaciers there which MILLIONS depend on for water, farming etc. BUT with climate change they are melting at a rapid speed. take a look, video at link below about 3 mins 50

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018

About our part in climate change that many here in Ireland deny with the we are too small excuse. Listen to the traffic reports on radios every morning, especially in Cities and more so in Dublin. The amount of traffic is incredible here. I think we have one of if not the highest single use car trips across europe if not the world. A substantial amount of these most likely Diesel which is far more polluting than petrol cars ( even older ones ) and another large subset are diesel Chelsea tractor 4x4 SUVs which, really, are not needed nor suited to city driving

Apr 7, 2020
We are one of the worst in the EU on a per capita basis. Farming (beef and dairy) is one of the big elephants in the room for us but it has been such 'success story' it will be hard to make inroads. I can see EVs making a dent in the Chelsea Tractor market fairly soon.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
We are one of the worst in the EU on a per capita basis. Farming (beef and dairy) is one of the big elephants in the room for us but it has been such 'success story' it will be hard to make inroads. I can see EVs making a dent in the Chelsea Tractor market fairly soon.
You could be right in that those with these Chelsea tractors because chances are its people who can afford to buy these plus the upkeep can afford the crazy EV car prices at the moment.

Interestingly its mainly Women I see driving the Chelsea tractors around where I am in Cork and in the City when in there. Much of it seen in school runs and local shop centres. Has the partner got the 08 Corolla :D

In respect of that, a female close acquaintance had a Chelsea Tractor, now gone to a small diesel estate, but still pines for the Chelsea tractor mainly because you are HIGH up off the road. She agrees its mainly women driving these

Last edited:

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
You could be right in that those with these Chelsea tractors because chances are its people who can afford to buy these plus the upkeep can afford the crazy EV car prices at the moment.

Interestingly its mainly Women I see driving the Chelsea tractors around where I am in Cork and in the City. Much of it seen in school runs and local shop centres. Has the partner got the 08 Corolla :D

In respect of that, a female close acquaintance had a Chelsea Tractor, now gone to a small diesel estate, but still pines for the Chelsea tractor mainly because you are HIGH up off the road. She agrees its mainly women driving these

Three new Range Rovers on this road .......a lot of people still don't give a fook......

Franzoni

Nov 28, 2018
Same here .. in a suburban setting. Big range rovers and the like. Most they do are school runs and coffee mornings .. which BTW for a Diesel vehicle is not the best, diesel engines need to be driven distance wise

Never got why the government emcouraged people to go diesel a few years back as when i lived in town we lived along a major bus route from town and we had to clean the front windows nearly weekly with the soot and crap from buses and trucks .........

Apr 24, 2020
Personally I think it's great that old white guys are so irritated by Thunberg. It means she's having some effect. Basically the boomer generation has destroyed this world for their grandchildren due to their own greed and if Thunberg manages to get a movement against this horrible anti life generation, then this is a good move. This generation needs to removed from power and positions of influence ASAP.
Thing is, Greta is not necessarily dialled into the zeitgeist of her fellow Gen Z westerners.

As Bill Maher pointed out, look at Greta's Follower members on Social media, in the context of how many followers the Kardasians have. And other "influencers/YouTube-ers, etc".

Are the Gen Z any more less addicted to consumerism and what have you than Milennials, Gen X (me), or Boomers.?

Greta is right on the "blah, blah". And it's great to see her act as a conscience on this, but until it becomes socially unacceptable to consume to excess, it will continue.

How do we make our bad environmental habits as unacceptable as drink driving, or racism?

And that's before you look at the developing world, as they level up, even to a small degree to our habits.

I did a "carbon footprint assessment" today as part of our corporate green agenda. Apparently I'm 300% less of a hog then most of my colleagues. Which means that somewhere, someone created an utter steaming pile of B.S. because I'm no Greta.

Or the world is just utterly f#cked.

Nov 29, 2018
Never got why the government emcouraged people to go diesel a few years back as when i lived in town we lived along a major bus route from town and we had to clean the front windows nearly weekly with the soot and crap from buses and trucks .........
I seem to remember that being a "green" initiative.

Apr 24, 2020
I seem to remember that being a "green" initiative.
It was brilliant from a driver/ consumer perspective. For the first time, we didn't have a tax regime which forced us to drive gutless, stripped out versions of cars. And then automatics stopped being shit. What a time to be alive.

But (with crash protection helping) it also caused cars to gain about 25% to 50% weight, negating future efficiency gains. We all just made our driveways wider. And we all got fatter too .

With the advent of EV's, the bloat continues. Many are well north of 2,000kg.

Literally twice the weight of a family car from the 80's.

We need to tax kerb weight.

** edit** the caring, nice person's SUV, the Volvo XC90 T8 (the hybrid one), is 2,310kg. That is 4 mk1 fiestas.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021
Thing is, Greta is not necessarily dialled into the zeitgeist of her fellow Gen Z westerners.

As Bill Maher pointed out, look at Greta's Follower members on Social media, in the context of how many followers the Kardasians have. And other "influencers/YouTube-ers, etc".

Are the Gen Z any more less addicted to consumerism and what have you than Milennials, Gen X (me), or Boomers.?

Greta is right on the "blah, blah". And it's great to see her act as a conscience on this, but until it becomes socially unacceptable to consume to excess, it will continue.

How do we make our bad environmental habits as unacceptable as drink driving, or racism?

And that's before you look at the developing world, as they level up, even to a small degree to our habits.

I did a "carbon footprint assessment" today as part of our corporate green agenda. Apparently I'm 300% less of a hog then most of my colleagues. Which means that somewhere, someone created an utter steaming pile of B.S. because I'm no Greta.

Or the world is just utterly f#cked.
That's just Maher being a well-fed lib. Gen Z are much more clued into climate issues. The problem is that they have been frozen out of politics and decision making due to old white rich libs and conservatives like Bill Maher. And then these old white guys have the nerve to blame the victim. They are sociopaths.

Apr 24, 2020
That's just Maher being a well-fed lib. Gen Z are much more clued into climate issues. The problem is that they have been frozen out of politics and decision making due to old white rich libs and conservatives like Bill Maher. And then these old white guys have the nerve to blame the victim. They are sociopaths.
I hope you are right.

CarlDoyle

Feb 10, 2021
We need to tax kerb weight.
If you want to reduce emissions, you should tax emissions.

Petrol tax plus maybe a tax on emissions from construction of the car could be reasonable. Ofc, that assumes that nobody crosses the border to get fuel.

If a car is low emissions, per km, then it doesn't matter what weight it is.

Apr 24, 2020
If you want to reduce emissions, you should tax emissions.

Petrol tax plus maybe a tax on emissions from construction of the car could be reasonable. Ofc, that assumes that nobody crosses the border to get fuel.

If a car is low emissions, per km, then it doesn't matter what weight it is.
Counterpoint: it's still a profligate use of resources in assembly. Plus, the plastics are from oil, the tyres are from oil, and are bigger and wear out faster with a heavy car.

We are literally driving around in twice the car compared to 30 years ago.

And we already tax fuel. We also need to tax the electricity used by cars. Hard to do, but not impossible.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
So it seems it was/is all blah blah blah

Yet in the last 24 hours, that hope has collided with political reality.

The negotiating text has been published and diplomatic gloves are off. It looks depressingly like the major players at the summit are retreating to long-held positions.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
It has been exceptionally mild lately (more like April than November) and I just took a look at the monthly temp data for the local weather station. The mean monthly temp has been a full 2C above average for the months of July, September, October and (so far) November. It is not predicted to go below 10C at all next week, day or night. I have nasturtiums (which normally die here at the first hint of winter) in full bloom all around my garden.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
It has been exceptionally mild lately (more like April than November) and I just took a look at the monthly temp data for the local weather station. The mean monthly temp has been a full 2C above average for the months of July, September, October and (so far) November. It is not predicted to go below 10C at all next week, day or night. I have nasturtiums (which normally die here at the first hint of winter) in full bloom all around my garden.

Oh that varies a lot, I have had nasturtium’s bloom right up until Xmas most years with few exceptions. I have lots of roses in bloom right now, not unusual at all…and even passionflower.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Never had them after Halloween before.
That’s interesting, could depend on local climate, I live beside a large body of water and that makes a difference as does being on a warm spot on the earth, I’ve also had nasturtium bloom in the west if Ireland right up to Xmas…Could be worth looking at your microclimate and how you could effect it.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
That’s interesting, could depend on local climate, I live beside a large body of water and that makes a difference as does being on a warm spot on the earth, I’ve also had nasturtium bloom in the west if Ireland right up to Xmas…Could be worth looking at your microclimate and how you could effect it.
It's as cold as ice in winter - no lake nearby and the cars freeze over at the slightest hint of frost. In fact last week the cars were frozen over 3 mornings in a row (it was about 2-3C), but flowers unaffected.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Things not going no where near as well as thought in COP26. Plenary session versions on for last few hours. Formal adoption of text starting now but many saying its no where near whats needed at this stage .. blah blah

Many saying fck it .. on to the next Cop in Africa

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
It's as cold as ice in winter - no lake nearby and the cars freeze over at the slightest hint of frost. In fact last week the cars were frozen over 3 mornings in a row (it was about 2-3C), but flowers unaffected.
Ah you’re getting an air frost…Flowers can handle 2-3°C but as soon as it hits zero…No frost here yet but when it comes it comes slowly, I can see it getting nearer and nearer as I drive out the road away from lake, sometimes doesn’t reach here, other times takes 3 weeks slowly approaching and other times can be here in days. Do you have many trees around your house? Also is it possible you are in a frost pocket?

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
Things not going no where near as well as thought in COP26. Plenary session versions on for last few hours. Formal adoption of text starting now but many saying its no where near whats needed at this stage .. blah blah

Mitigation is the way forward, prepare for what’s coming.

Robutnua

Nov 28, 2018
Mitigation is the way forward, prepare for what’s coming.
@Truthisfree Yip .. I will find a brilliant podcast on this I heard last weekend and post it here.

The guy doing the podcast setup now on Climate with a comparison from WWII - DDAY Normandy Landings vs Dunkirk. He said we are now at Dunkirk ( mitigation ) here.

He said DDAY was a positive planned operation that resulted in the beginning of the end of WWII but DUNKIRK was a retreat for mitigation purposes pretty much. Best I pop it up here to get better description and context.

Here ye go, have a listen, I thought it was excellent

Last edited:

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018

You were hardly expecting much from it, were you? Even if the text was word-perfect, most of it would not be implemented anyway.

Basically the only thing that will precipitate serious action is a number of major First World disasters, such as Athens or Jerusalem being literally consumed by wildfires (both came close enough last summer). Such minor matters as large tracts of sub-Saharan Africa becoming virtually uninhabitable, or people in Ahmedabad painting their roofs white to try and reflect the sun so they can sleep at night, are not going to prick too many Western consciences.

These periodic talking shops produce learned articles in the likes of the IT, but that's about all.

midlander12

Dec 4, 2018
Ah you’re getting an air frost…Flowers can handle 2-3°C but as soon as it hits zero…No frost here yet but when it comes it comes slowly, I can see it getting nearer and nearer as I drive out the road away from lake, sometimes doesn’t reach here, other times takes 3 weeks slowly approaching and other times can be here in days. Do you have many trees around your house? Also is it possible you are in a frost pocket?
Plenty of trees, not in a frost pocket as such - when it freezes it freezes all around me too.

ruserious

Dec 4, 2018
As much as admire young people becoming politically active and standing up for their futures, I suspect the climate change movement would be better served if some egos such as Thunberg weren’t frontline spokespersons for the real dangers we all face. She has become a bit of a cartoon figure. In some ways, she risks buy in from key demographics who are needed to get behind change.

Truthisfree

Nov 27, 2018
@Truthisfree Yip .. I will find a brilliant podcast on this I heard last weekend and post it here.

The guy doing the podcast setup now on Climate with a comparison from WWII - DDAY Normandy Landings vs Dunkirk. He said we are now at Dunkirk ( mitigation ) here.

He said DDAY was a positive planned operation that resulted in the beginning of the end of WWII but DUNKIRK was a retreat for mitigation purposes pretty much. Best I pop it up here to get better description and context.

Here ye go, have a listen, I thought it was excellent

I’m listening to it, nothing I haven’t heard before, estimates of 3-10 foot rise in sea levels by 2100 yet environmentalists are buying seaside property! https://news.yahoo.com/climate-activists-invest-property-beaches-110000244.html?guccounter=1

I have done a lot of research in this area and the narrative is always the same, massive flooding, hundreds of millions of climate refugees…but!

This is Toruar island part of the Saposa islands that has been used to show the threat of sea level rise.
You would wonder why would people choose to live on such a small island…?

Finland decided to pour resources into this island, the population doubled with people moving there to take advantage, the coral is almost all gone, climate change is one of the reasons given but the locals are fond of blowing the coral up with dynamite to kill fish as is the case all across the Pacific and elsewhere, the ecology of the island depends on the waves breaking up the coral slowly and depositing it around the trees so the surface is always growing…that does not happen anymore and btw, the island is sinking too…Apart from the natural sinking of the island the rest is most definitely man made…The Finns gave up and pulled out.

Top Bottom